launcher fails, then reports that i need "win7 sp1 or higher"

windows update runs automatically every tuesday.

but i'll run it again manually right now

edit:   no updates found, of course

paint%204.JPG

launcher still fails, as it has failed each update since 3.5.11

is there a launcher log that might help?

Edited by mgwynn

hmmm...  i'll assume that Win Update never offered me SP1, even though it's faithfully delivered hundreds of updates since 2011?

If you never got SP1, that would be my assumption, yes.  Look at the System Stats in the control panel:

post-46346-0-95700800-1405951058_thumb.p(click for bigger)

If the line that the arrow is pointing to does not appear, then no, you don't have SP1.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

and now i have SP1, almost three years after it was rolled out!

i apologize about the snarky response to the suggestion about using Win Update...  i'm so anal about updates, i manually check for updates several times a week

and i always click on 'check for updates' even if the initial screen says 'no new updates found'...  i'm always surprised how many new updates pop up after seeing that!

so... i had always assumed that i was completely completely updated...  but WU never auto-updated SP1 and never asked if i wanted to manually update to it

(i did think it was unusual that the 'windows edition' screen didn't specifically say anything about any service packs, so i d/led the x64 build, and 40 minutes later... i'm all 'packed up'!)

lesson learned = never assume

now i'm off to try loading build 4.0.2

Awesome!  Glad you got it sorted.  Weird bug, but comparatively easy fix!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.