How to Install Plugins ×

The Plugin Browser (Updated 2015-24-01)

Any way you can disable plugin update, or at least provide a button to turn it off? This is what keeps me from using it. My editing system is not (nor will ever be) connected to internet, every time I launch this plugin, it tries to connect. 

It's possible - I'll look into incorporating it. Sent you a link in a PM to a mod

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

• 2 months later...

It downloads a copy of the Plugin Index. This is 100% safe. Plugin Browser uses the information in the Plugin Index to help categorize plugins you have installed.

It downloads a copy of the Plugin Index. This is 100% safe. Plugin Browser uses the information in the Plugin Index to help categorize plugins you have installed.

Where does it download it to though ? I can't find it on my HD.

swIFX9v.png

TechnoRobbo will correct me if I'm wrong  - but I don't think it leaves a copy in your system.  It uses it to build a database of data (PluginData.dll in \Effects\).

• Upvote 1

It saves it to the app data folder in your system, generally that's a hidden folder, set your option to view hidden files and look under your profile name and you'll see application data. It is in the form of a database used for easy searches.

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\PDNDwarvesPBSug.dat

Here's some light reading
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/where-can-i-find-application-data-folders-in/26f4d163-7340-4974-b513-72bfcd1f54a5

• Upvote 2

Go out there and be amazing. Have Fun, TR
TRsSig.png?raw=1
Some Pretty Pictures Some Cool Plugins

Welcome Sasha.  Thanks for the detailed explanation TR!

• 4 months later...

I'm not even a PDN expert, AT ALL, but I've been using it for a number of years. Having said that, I really love this plugin. I wish there could be an icon for it in the upper right hand corner, next to the hammer, layers, clock, and color circle. I wish it could float open as we worked.

At first I, too, thought it might take just as long to get the effect using this plug-in, as opposed to the normal way, such as clicking on EFFECTS, waiting a few seconds for the menu to appear, hoping if the effect I need isn't at the bottom so I don't have to try to get that tiny black arrow, sometimes missing it three or four times, to which the EFFECTS menu goes away each time and the process repeats itself until I catch that little black arrow at the very bottom of the drop down EFFECTS menu with my mouse, then click, click click click click click click click click until I get the EFFECT I need that's waaaaay down at the bottom. This plugin stops that mild sense of "ugh". Also, if, in his plugin, a common plugin is bookmarked, there is no having to scroll down to look for it. (YEAH!)

This plugin also helps me to identify which effects file (.dll) is causing me to have what looks like two and three of the same EFFECTS icons showing. Now I can identify the name of each .dll/effects file that shows up ONLY as an identically worded effect. For example, somehow I have acquired THREE (3) "feather" effects, having the identical icons and TWO (2) "object outline" effects, having the same identical icon, within the OBJECT sub folder of the EFFECTS file folder directory thing. I guess since the actual icon is identical in the EFFECTS directory within the OBJECTS sub directory that I should delete the .dll file with the older version number on it (the lower number). In other words, if the icon is identical in the EFFECTS directory or any subdirectory then just delete the .dll file with the older version number and don't worry if one of the .dll files is seemingly a slightly different worded .dll file related to effect in question. (Just wondering if .dll file names can stay the same when they are made better or updated?)

This plug in is so smooth and helpful, at least to me...and I'm tech-tarded.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on how it suggests plugins not installed. I've read the pdf book that comes with it and maybe I missed that part or was confused......but it would be AWESOME if it showed us plugins that were outdated and not going to function on the most updated version....or at all because some plugins I barely or never use.

I'm very grateful for those who take the time to give us these Christmas presents of plugins, year round. A lot of time goes into that, but, I get sometimes midly confused keeping up with them and making sure I get the latest one if one I use more so becomes perfected or to delete it and install another one similar to it. I'm not always at the forum....or never was, other than reading through it from time to time or every few months or three or four times a year? So, this seems to be a good thing. It makes it a bit more organized for plugins, at least to me.

Anyway, I just found it and just installed it. Thank you. It helps me.

Not everyone is going to read through every single post, and topics or new topics pages and sometimes 8 or more pages long of so many different posts with threads. I try to look at the dates of posts to see how old it is and sometimes it's an old one but in reading through the content I find it's an old dated post but in the text it mentions the updated info.

I'm trying to not break any rules by not posting what someone already posted a loooooong time ago, but that's not always easy to keep up with.....but I'm doing my best and trying.

Edited by ScrapbookWithPDN

...n his plugin, a common plugin is bookmarked, there is no having to scroll down to look for it. (YEAH!)

Neat feature isn't it? I have sooooo many plugins installed that bookmarking is essential.

This plugin also helps me to identify which effects file (.dll) is causing me to have what looks like two and three of the same EFFECTS icons showing. Now I can identify the name of each .dll/effects file

You can also ID problem dll's by hovering over the entry in the Effects menu. A tool tip pops up showing some info about the plugin.

I'm still a bit fuzzy on how it suggests plugins not installed.

Basically it downloads a copy of the Plugin Index and uses this to create a reference database. I offers suggestions of plugins that you may not be aware of.

it would be AWESOME if it showed us plugins that were outdated and not going to function on the most updated version.

Interesting thought....

I'm very grateful for those who take the time to give us these Christmas presents of plugins, year round. A lot of time goes into that

Anyway, I just found it and just installed it. Thank you. It helps me.

You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear you find this plugin so useful.

• Upvote 1

You can also ID problem dll's by hovering over the entry in the Effects menu. A tool tip pops up showing some info about the plugin.

Oh, yes!! I noticed that...eventually, after getting the latest version and found that VERY HELPFUL!! I LOVE THAT, TOO!! So many very, very, VERY cool improvements that make this even better and it was great before. It's like having power steering and shock absorbers on the car...and A/C! Just makes it so much more of a luxury.

Thank you!! I take none of this for granted!

• 3 months later...

Hello. I have a request. Not sure if it's possible or too much work though.

In the plugin browser, under the "Plugin Information" area, there is a place that says " website: ". Sometimes that spot is blank, sometimes there is a link to paint.net's "Plugins - Publishing ONLY!" section of the forums, sometimes there is a link to a person's personal website? And sometimes there is a link to that plugin's thread.

Because the " website: " area is under " Plugin Information ", if there is a link there I tend to expect to be taken somewhere that will give me more information about that specific plugin, such as that plugin's thread, like how the plugin index links to each plugin's thread.  Right now, the links feel inconsistent and some links don't really help with anything. For example, if I'm going to just be linked to the "Plugins - Publishing ONLY!" section of the forum, then sorry, but what does that help with?

I would like to request that, wherever possible, a link to each plugin's thread be given. If I'm not going to be taken to that plugin's specific page, then I think I would prefer to be linked to at least the plugin index or a plugin search engine, so that I can navigate to that plugin's page easier.

If this request is too much work, then I understand.

Hello. I have a request. Not sure if it's possible or too much work though.

In the plugin browser, under the "Plugin Information" area, there is a place that says " website: ". Sometimes that spot is blank, sometimes there is a link to paint.net's "Plugins - Publishing ONLY!" section of the forums, sometimes there is a link to a person's personal website? And sometimes there is a link to that plugin's thread.

Because the " website: " area is under " Plugin Information ", if there is a link there I tend to expect to be taken somewhere that will give me more information about that specific plugin, such as that plugin's thread, like how the plugin index links to each plugin's thread.  Right now, the links feel inconsistent and some links don't really help with anything. For example, if I'm going to just be linked to the "Plugins - Publishing ONLY!" section of the forum, then sorry, but what does that help with?

I would like to request that, wherever possible, a link to each plugin's thread be given. If I'm not going to be taken to that plugin's specific page, then I think I would prefer to be linked to at least the plugin index or a plugin search engine, so that I can navigate to that plugin's page easier.

If this request is too much work, then I understand.

The website is supplied by the plugin author.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Exactly. That information is written into the plugin by the author.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, recently I installed the latest edition of the browser plug in in the latest update of paint.net on my PC with Windows 7 (with the latest system updates and graphics card), the problem I have is that when I click on a plugin it is not reflected in the preview window. I already repaired the installation of paint.net. What could be the problem?. Appreciate your help.

Just how does one go about getting the Plug in Browser??  The zip is a Dll and I'm not a genius programmer. I'm trying to find a plug in for .DDS file.

The Plugin Browser is just a (very sophisticated) plugin. You install it as you would any other Effect plugin. Simply copy the unzipped *.dll into your paint.net/Effects/ folder and restart paint.net.

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2015 at 6:38 AM, sashwilko said:

I have just re-run this plugin and I get this prompt:
Untitled%201_zpsytlrhwqz.jpg

What exactly does it download ? there is nothing visible in my downloads or my paint.net folder :/

I get the above error (Win 10 'anniversary' 64bit) but when I click the Yes button I get this:

Out-of-Bounds.png

After clicking OK, all seems to load properly.  Is there anything I can do to avoid the error?

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

Hello Wreckage, welcome to the forum.

I have noticed the same thing myself but thank you for reporting this.
It could be to do with the recent change to the forum software affecting the way the plugin index is stored.
Ego Eram Reputo is working on this.

Unfortunately TechnoRobbo, who did the majority of the coding for the Plugin Browser, is difficult to contact at the moment.:(

This means the browser cannot currently recommend very recently released plugins but should be fine for its other uses.;)

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg