Old version demands and disrespect

Araragi

Version 4 is so horribly sluggish that I'm going back to the previous version this instant.
Do you not have a beta for a wide range of people to thoroughly test the program before making everyone update?

Hidden Content:
poof
Edited by Araragi

It already went through it's beta stages.
See here : http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/45-paintnet-40-preview-center/
Also, on the blog, if you go towards the bottom you will see "Older Posts" clicking that will let you see more posts about Paint.net 4.0 beta stuff  : http://blog.getpaint.net/

Paint.NET 4.0 is now in a public release, but will continue to try and be improved. We have already had news of a Paint.NET 4.0.1 or something of the sort.

Oh, and by the way, in case you didn't know, there is only one guy behind all of Paint.NET. So there isn't like a team of testers, just us users and whoever is willing to add their support for the program.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Try turning on hardware acceleration in the Settings. On your system you've got an Intel GPU so it's disabled by default. Intel GPUs have almost complete garbage for drivers unfortunately, which necessitated this policy.

If there are no visual artifacts, then leave it on. Otherwise you'll see why it's disabled by default.

And yes there was a beta. A very long beta. Please don't say things like that unless you've actually looked to see whether such an activity took place.

• Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

And yes there was a beta. A very long beta. Please don't say things like that unless you've actually looked to see whether such an activity took place.

By "very long beta", Rick is talking about a public beta that ran around nine months.  Paint.NET 4 has been in production over five times longer than that, and there were many people involved in the testing of that product in those five years.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Your math is off but the general idea remains.

The first alpha came out in October ( http://blog.getpaint.net/2013/10/13/paint-net-4-0-alpha-build-5034-is-now-available/ ). 

4.0 was about a 5 year project.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Whoops, fixed.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I've been using Paint.Net for many years and love it. After installing Version 4 I am very disappointed, and would like to remove it and install v3.5.11 again. However I cannot find a download for it.

Regards, Sandi

I got it from here

<snip!>

I find it kind of embarrassing how the beta lasted so long and how many of us ended up facing performance issues. I do like the program but it should have never made it to a public release with such an issue present.

Edited by david.atwell
No links to old versions.

Embarrassing? That so many people worked so hard for so long to give you a great piece of software free??

Your sense of entitlement is appalling.

• Upvote 3

I got it from here

<snip!>

I find it kind of embarrassing how the beta lasted so long and how many of us ended up facing performance issues. I do like the program but it should have never made it to a public release with such an issue present.

No, you know what?  Not ok.  In any part of the world.

I've had it.  From now on, any disrespectful behavior I see will be met with an immediate warn for the user.  And I mean disrespect to anyone, not just Rick.

Araragi has just received the first one.  It read:

That sort of entitled attitude will not be tolerated here. We'd love to help you with whatever problems you have, but you can't come to us with mind-vomit like that and expect to get assistance. There are people on this forum, not just robots, and they all deserve your respect. Get your attitude together or go away. I'm glad you like the program, and I hope you make the correct choice.

Further disrespectful behavior will be met with a ban.

Seriously.  I'm sick of this.  If you need help, ask for help respectfully.  If you want to tear down the freely-given work of others, take your self-righteous first-world problems and go suck a lemon.

Embarrassing? That so many people worked so hard for so long to give you a great piece of software free??

Your sense of entitlement is appalling.

^^This, 100%.  There seems to be this bizarre thought process that people who have downloaded this program have the right to gripe about every little bit of the program's functionality and design if it isn't perfectly suited to their personal use cases.  And not just question them, but to demand them rudely!  Who taught you people manners?  Why have you no civility?  I was silent for too long; now, I've had enough.

All right, I'm off my soapbox.  Let's get this thread back on-topic.

If you're having bugs or other problems with the program, they go here.  We'd love to help.

If you have a legitimate question about how to do something in the new version, ask it here.  We'd love to help.

If you want to be entitled and complain about something, that's here.  We wish you would just go away.

• Upvote 2

Not going to post my pc specs (which doesn't have intel graphics) when I get home if the only way for you guys to handle criticism and bug reports is with warnings and bans. 

Bye.

criticism and bug reports

Your post was neither of those things.  It was straight-up abuse and disrespect.  Had you posted honest criticism or a bug report, we would have happily helped you out.

So long.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

• Upvote 1

For reference, here is an example of a perfectly respectful complaint:

I'm on Win7, 8GB RAM.

It opens two times slower, and basically any action done for the first time after opening the program takes much longer to load. Considering that most of the time I open the program just to quickly edit something, this is kind of annoying.

We understand the frustration here, and we'd love to help try and sort it out. His first post was a bit condescending, but he turned it around for the second one.

How about this?

Hi everyone!
I JUST upgraded and ran into a problem which is bad, but I fixed it which is good!
Instant mood swings! YAY!
Here's the info from PaintDotNet about itself and the computer I am working on:

Application paint.net 4.0 (Final 4.0.5288.36565)
Build Date Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) True
Animations True
Language en-US

OS Windows 8 (6.2.9200.0)
.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.18449
Physical Memory 8,010 MB

CPU Intel® Core i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
    Architecture x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode 64-bit
    Speed ~2195 MHz
    Cores / Threads 8
    Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    Dedicated Video RAM 1,986 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 2,048 MB
    Vendor ID 0x10DE
    Device ID 0x0FD1
    Subsystem ID 0x06861025
    Revision 161
    LUID 0x00009B0E
    Flags None
    Outputs 1

Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    Vendor ID 0x10DE
    Device ID 0x0FD1
    Subsystem ID 0x06861025
    Revision 161
    LUID 0x00009CC5
    Flags None
    Outputs 0

Video Card Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Vendor ID 0x1414
    Device ID 0x008C
    Subsystem ID 0x00000000
    Revision 0
    LUID 0x00009C6B
    Flags Software
    Outputs 0

What is happening is that under the initial instal the window turns black, flashes on and off like strobe light when I move the mouse, and the cursor leaves little dots all over the place.
What I did to fix it was turn off hardware acceleration in the UI section of settings, its an instant fix. HOORAY!
I am curious about what I might be missing.
Is having to turn this off going to cost me some gigantic amount of performance?

I love this program by the way, I use it constantly and recommend it to everyone. Hope that stuff above is helpful. If needed I can send along screenshots, though they are tricky to do while moving the mouse!

Cheers!! And happy 4th of July!
Mealea

Excellently well-written post. And do you see? It's a bug report! In fact, the troubleshooting forum has 3,067 examples proving that this

Not going to post my pc specs (which doesn't have intel graphics) when I get home if the only way for you guys to handle criticism and bug reports is with warnings and bans. 

Bye.

couldn't be further from the truth.  Your ignorance is showing, Araragi.

Araragi, and apparently the only way to handle this on your side is to throw a temper tantrum?

Have some patience. Some bugs take time to figure out correctly. Instead of demanding that everything be provided to you for free and in perfect condition, stick around and help.

There's this thing called the Internet, and updates can be pushed out over it ...

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg