How to Install Plugins ×

Drawing Arrows, Dashed Lines, Dotted Lines, etc. (plugin)

BoltBait

NOTE: This functionality has been included in Paint.NET version 3.07. Do NOT download this effect. Upgrade your Paint.NET instead!

Arrow Effect

Until Paint.NET has the ability to draw lines with arrow heads, I have created this effect.

The Idea

I really wrote this as a way to learn how to draw anti-aliased lines. If you find it useful, great. Just be aware, Rick has stated that Paint.NET will have the ability to draw arrows with the next release (3.x) which will be out in a month (or two at the latest).

I know the UI is less then optimal, but I think you'll get used to it (at least until Paint.NET has a REAL arrow tool).

This draws lines inside of the current selection using the Primary color and current paint brush width.

The thicker the Paint Brush, the better the line looks... try 7 or 8.

It will draw the lines solid, dashed, or dotted.

It will draw lines using anti-aliasing, or not, your choice.

The Effect DLL

You can download the precompiled effect DLL here: Arrows.dll

Just drop this file in your c:/program files/Paint.NET/effects directory and you should be all set.

If you need help installing effects, read this page: http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install

Instructions for Use

1. Use the color wheel to select your primary color. This is what this tool uses for the color of the arrow to draw.

2. Select the paint brush tool or the line drawing tool and change the brush width.

3. Using the rectangle select tool, draw a selection from the desired starting line point to the desired ending line point.

4. Click the Effects menu and choose Arrows...

5. Now you should be able to see the arrow. Adjust the settings on the dialog box for your desired arrow type and click OK to finalize the arrow.

Source Code

I will probably not publish this. But, not to worry, read this thread for all of my secrets: http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2580

That's about it. This should get you through until the next release of Paint.NET.

Enjoy. 8)

Screenshot:

arrow.png

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Nice work BoltBait. I'm interested in seeing your anti-alias implementation.

I probably won't release the source code to this effect--after all, it won't live longer than the next release of Paint.NET

However, if you want to see how I did it, check out this thread:

http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2580

After all, I used your template to create the UI. 8)

Thanks for a great plugin!

Possibly useful way to adjust angle of arrow: Choose the select tool, depress the right mouse button and rotating the selection to the required angle.

I love this plugin by BoltBait and think that some of us will find it more useful to use it on a new layer so that the angle of the arrow can be adjusted.

Suggested modification to his original steps:

1. Create a new layer (easier for adjustment of angle of arrow without affecting the background).

2. Use the color wheel to select your primary color. This is what this tool uses for the color of the arrow to draw.

3. Select the paint brush tool or the line drawing tool and change the brush width.

4. Using the rectangle select tool, draw a selection from the desired starting line point to the desired ending line point.

5. Click the Effects menu and choose Arrows...

6. Now you should be able to see the arrow. Adjust the settings on the dialog box for your desired arrow type and click OK to finalize the arrow.

7. With the arrow still selected, click onto the 'Move' tool

8. Depress right-mouse click without releasing, and adjust the angle of the arrow as needed.

I came across a situation where I needed a rather fat arrow to be only slightly diagonal.

Here is the problem I ran into:

arrorerror.png

I know you're probably thinking that I am crazy and its really obvious that a thick arrow will not fit inside a selection that is smaller than the arrow, but this wouldn't be a problem if there was a way to just rotate the arrow. Then, you could just make a square selection and rotate it to the desired angle.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

You have 2 options...

1) wait to draw your arrow until the next release of Paint.net

2) Draw a larger selection and draw the arrow horizontal, then right-click the corner and rotate to your desired angle

Notice that none of your options include me fixing the Arrow effect. :D

Hehe, I really don't even need a "rather fat arrow to be only slightly diagonal". I figured you would either laugh at me and say exactly what you did, or find the challenge interesting.

On another note, I am getting kinda excited waiting for the 3.xx releases.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I know this is a little off topic but do you have any idea when you plan to make a new version of paint.net

I don't ever plan on making a new version of paint.net...

What makes you think I would? :wink:

Perhaps you should ask Rick Brewster :D

I dunno im confused isn't that was "barkbark00" said

barkbark00 Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hehe, I really don't even need a "rather fat arrow to be only slightly diagonal". I figured you would either laugh at me and say exactly what you did, or find the challenge interesting.

On another note, I am getting kinda excited waiting for the 3.xx releases.

and how do u copy and paste my text?

Thanks, Spencer :)

Click the "Quote" button in the upper right corner of the post you want to copy.

By the way, I am in no way affiliated with Paint.NET or the Paint.NET development team. Rick simply asked me to be a moderator on this discussion board as I hang around here a lot. :roll:

Click the "Quote" button in the upper right corner of the post you want to copy.

O i c ty before i just hit print screen on my computer cropped the file saved it uploaded it to photobucket, then copied the code thing to my text but, that is a lot easier lol

Thanks, Spencer :)

• 1 month later...

I think the arrowhead needs to be bigger compared to the line, maybe a way to customize it?

Also, "dotted" gives me notions of circular dots.

just my 11 øre.

Thanks for your feedback, but I am not going to update this plugin. Rick has already stated that he will be including the ability to draw arrow heads in the next release of Paint.NET.

The purpose of this plugin is two fold: 1) to get you through until the next release and 2) allow me to learn how to draw anti-aliased lines.

I know its not perfect. But, as I said, it is not meant to be the perfect line drawer... that's Rick's job.

Just wait till v3.07, kay? Then you'll be happier. Might even become the Buddha's twin brother, too. I dunno.

~~