Zoom problems in 4.0 (and previous versions)

tails8762

First off, I want to start of by saying that I've been using Paint.NET for the longest time (according to my harddrive, it was at least since 2007 with v3.08) and it still is my image editor of choice. I definitely appreciate the work that's gone into this, coming from someone who isn't a programmer. So when I went from v3.5 to v4.0, I happily upgraded. First thing I noticed was the change in UI.

Now I'm fine with the list of projects across the top being left-aligned instead of right-aligned; that's something I can easily and have adjusted to. And yes, having the Settings moved to a smaller button in the top-right can be a bit of a headache for some, but I don't really tamper with those so it's not an issue for me.

The removal of the drop-down menu for Zoom, however, is where problems arise.

One thing I always found particularly useful in 3.0-3.5 was that, when clicking inside the box for the Zoom (and this also worked for Text size too.. never the Font, though), I could scroll up/down to select how far I wanted to zoom in/out; I was able to go from an insane zoom-in (800%, 1200%, 1600%) to exactly 100% Zoom in a snap. And while I can't do that anymore in v4.0, the alternative to this is to hold down CTRL and scroll up/down to zoom. Which would be fine, if the numbers for zooming were... consistent?

If I zoom in using CTRL+scroll from 100%, I go to 125%. Then 157%. Then 197%, 248%, 311%, 390%, 489%, 613%, 769%, 964%, 1210%, 1517%... you get the picture. But what's weirder is that if I was to zoom in from 100% all the way to 3200%, then back out again, I don't reach 100% Zoom; Instead, I get to 107%, meaning I have to correct it with either the Zoom tool or the Zoom in/out buttons on the bottom right.

Now to be fair, this problem with the Zoom gradually getting inaccurate has persisted in older versions, but now I feel it's more of an issue because now it's not as quickly rectified manually.

After doing some number crunching, I appear to have found the reason: It appears that holding down CTRL and scrolling will not cause Paint.NET to simply "select the next/previous zoom amount" - more rather, it appears to increase the zoom by a particualr amount (1.25x), then to avoid decimal points, rounds it down to the nearest integer, then adds 1:

HAiVUDj.png

So yeah, perhaps if CTRL+scroll-zooming didn't zoom in/out exponentially, this problem would go away.

I guess I should also apologise for not pointing this out any time sooner, but like I said; it wasn't so much an issue until now.

NB: "tails8762" is an old name that I don't go by anymore, but whatever.

About the zoom, I'm not sure if you realized this yet or not, so I'll share....

There is still a way to at least type in an exact zoom :

ZoomSetZoom_zps0cec2788.gif

You'de be surprised how many people are overlooking this feature.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles