Brush Styles

Hi, I've just uploaded the new version of Paint.NET. On my previous version you could choose brush styles, such as percentages, patterns etc. I can't seem to find how to do this on the new version. I have a number of projects on the go which utilised this feature quite extensively and so I'm hoping very much that this hasn't been dropped, otherwise I have an awful lot of work to do!

If it has been dropped then I'll probably need a recommendation of how to go back to an older version.

Gary

Sadly I don't see "Fill" patterns available in 4.0 for the paint brush anymore either, the patterns that are exampled here in Paint.NET 3's documentation : http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/Paintbrush.html

Perhaps they will come back in later updates, but for now, to at least finish your projects, would you be able to consider using the paint bucket tool and the line/curve tool? They both still have the fill pattern option.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Thanks for responding, Cc4,

Grrr - thought as much. Why do 'improvements' on websites so often mean loss of functionality? (I suppose I can't complain - it is a free website and still mighty fine apart from this)

So I guess that means trying to find an older version online until my project's over!

Thanks anyway,

Gary

Edited by garyberlin981

Grrr - thought as much. Why do 'improvements' on websites so often mean loss of functionality? (I suppose I can't complain - it is a free website and still mighty fine apart from this)

In this case, it's because one guy works on the project alone and must decide between adding little-used functionality and actually releasing a product.  :)  He had to rewrite a lot of Paint.NET from scratch for PDN4, so not everything has made it back in yet.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I would prefer to split the PaintBrush tool into a FillBrush (with the old simple functionality, which fills an area with a static pattern) and the new PaintBrush (supporting Hardness and all the blending modes), Last one may add in the future all the features we like get from a brush system.

Pen, Fillbrush, and Paintbrush would build a good team with increasing complexity.

midoras signature.gif

Because the toolbar can only hold so many things and I asked around and pretty much nobody used that Fill setting. It didn't need to be there and was burdensome to support in light of all the new stuff that was being added, so it was removed.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Fair enough. I shall be going over to the new version, but until my project is over (in a year) I'll have to go with an older version. I've needed to create maps with different features on different layers and the patterns lines were great for drawing different types of borders etc. but I guess this isn't what most people use the service for.

Thanks for the reply anyway

Gary

3.5 and 4.0 are more like completely different systems then different versions of the same system.

3.5 is simpler, streamlined and nichier.

4.0 is far more advanced, complex and mainstream. In light of this, when you are done with your project might want to do that trick that lets you have both installed. You basically copy your 3.5 files to a different folder, and run it directly from that. Then when you update you'll have both 4.0 and 3.5.

Edited by Humility