paint.net 4.0 is now available!

Rick Brewster

Once you upgrade Paint.NET to version 4.0, it would be a good time to review the plugins you have installed.

You may be running older plugins that have had an upgrade recently. Plus, many plugins have been rewritten for Paint.NET 4.0.

For example, my plugin pack has been completely rewritten for Paint.NET 4.0 utilizing the new features.

You can download a copy of my latest plugin pack here: BoltBait's Plugin Pack

For you plugin coders, CodeLab has been updated for Paint.NET 4.0. Make sure you upgrade!

Also, in the coming weeks, you might want to keep an eye on the plugin forum and the plugin pack forum for new and updated plugins.

• Upvote 1

* Startup performance when many plugins are installed is improved, thanks to the Multicore JIT feature introduced in .NET 4.5.

Please note that this will take affect the second time that you launch paint.net 4.0.

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Congratulations on the completion Rick and a big thanks to all plugin authors who continue to enhance this amazing program.  :beer:  :cake:

BREtKQW.png

Wooo!  A long time coming, and worth the wait.  Thanks, Rick!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I can't see the OS version in your screenshot

Sorry about taking so long to get back. I keep telling my settings to notify me immediately of replies, but that doesn't seem to stick.

So, it is Windows 7 without SP1.

I have several KB patches on my home PC that prevent SP1 from installing. If I remove the KB patches, SP1 will install but I lose features on my PC like sound and video.

Is there any specific reason why SP1 was required with this release over the "plan Jane" Windows 7?

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement (click to read why)

Because without SP1, there are bugs in WIC (Windows Imaging Component) that cause all sorts of problems.

You'll just have to find a way to install SP1 if you want to use 4.0.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Great new version , thanks Rick for all the hard work. :beer:

Just out of interest, I had these plugins come up as loading errors in the settings menu , so I deleted them for now. I will update when they are ready but so you know , these are the ones concerned -

Curtisblack.Common.dll
Illnabplugins.dll
ShadowEffect.dll
Smudge.dll
ZoomBlurDeluxev0.2.dll

Apart from this v4 works fine. Shame there is still no ability to scroll down through long lists of plugins though. Having to click on the arrow at the bottom can be awkward at times and if you don`t place your cursor in the right place the list disappears and you have to select your chosen plugin again.

I like the way you can drag the layers up and down though. Very handy. The number of new features easily compensates for my little grumble.

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Smudge shouldn't be incompatible.  Try reinstalling that from a fresh download.

All the others appear in the list: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27661-incompatible-plugins-an-incomplete-list-updated-for-405268/

I had to block an older version of Smudge. It was crashing a bunch because of some things that changed. Anything after 3.5 will be fine (smudge v3.5 that is).

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks so much Rick & all of the plugin developers who made this happen. It was a long time coming & so worth it as mentioned above. :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for this new version ! That work fine !

But...

On one machine, I can't install it.

I uninstalled 3.5 version an tried to install v4, There is the error message in attached file.

I have not yet tried to reinstall 3.5...

What happen ?

Windows 7 64bit SP1 on virtualbox, 2 processors, 3 GB ram, 128MB ram video, 2D and 3D acceleration.

error_log_pdn4.txt

Edited by PosteMontage

Hi,

Thanks for this new version ! That work fine !

But...

On one machine, I can't install it.

I uninstalled 3.5 version an tried to install v4, There is the error message in attached file.

I have not yet tried to reinstall 3.5...

What happen ?

Windows 7 64bit SP1 on virtualbox, 2 processors, 3 GB ram, 128MB ram video, 2D and 3D acceleration.

Hi,

I restored snapshot of the VM, I made update from 3.5.11 to 4.0 via menu update and all is fine !!!

Because without SP1, there are bugs in WIC (Windows Imaging Component) that cause all sorts of problems.

You'll just have to find a way to install SP1 if you want to use 4.0.

It has not worked yet. I'm still trying to find ways to get SP1 to install, but the installer has been crashing due to compatibility issues.

I have v4 installed here at work. Are files edited with v4 still able to be opened in v3.5?

I'm afraid to make changes on some of my very old PDN files at work if they won't be useful in my older version.

~Joe

Avoid Sears Home Improvement (click to read why)

Is it possible to revert to an older version? I liked the previous layout better, and the new one still doesn't fix the one problem I had with Paint.Net anyway (movable windows getting in the way while I do stuff).

Press F5, F6, F7 & F8 to make the child windows disappear. The same combination will restore them.

Is it possible to revert to an older version? I liked the previous layout better, and the new one still doesn't fix the one problem I had with Paint.Net anyway (movable windows getting in the way while I do stuff).

If you still have a copy of V3.5.11 just run that installer and it will revert back to the previous version, you will be missing out on an excellent upgrade though with really interesting new features. Keep in mind support for V3.5.11 will end eventually and most importantly, plugins will only be developed with V4+ in mind ;)

It is now even easier to Show / Hide windows with the little buttons on the upper right of the UI.

post-86731-0-38627400-1403898939_thumb.p

ZXCBOoZ.png