How to Install Plugins ×

Planetoid - make your own planets

Ego Eram Reputo

Just wanted to say that this plugin is brilliant, i never at all really comment on anything that i think is great but this is some great development. Now i can create planets for my game that i was going to scrap :)

Thanks SCARRIOR. I'm glad your game has found a new breath of life.

Last note: I removed my original intro out of respect for XOD. We disagreed on the merits of it, but always showed respect to each other. That's one of the things I like about the members of this forum ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sand33p. That kind of reaction is always a buzz for me.

Feel free to post images you've created with Planetoid. I'm sure there are ways of using this plugin that TR & I did not anticipate when we wrote it :)

What an amazing plugin. Thank you so much :)  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

hypercolourplanet_zps42b06baf.png

Made planet, Conditional Hue/Saturation, Duplicated my planet, Blend mode - Reflect. Merged planet, Duplicated again, Blend mode - Additive.  
Background - Klump Noiz, Color flip/rotate, Zoom Blur, Duplicated Background, Blend mode - Multiply. Final planet added Drop Shadow.  

Original planet settings available on request :lol:

• Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

Nice job NN!  Some of those land masses have a very fractal like edge.  Wonderful.  Like the colors too.  Looks almost like a marble (the glass toy kind).

Thank you for posting your creation.

• 3 weeks later...

Making a planet is the most... fun thing ever.. here's the first I've made:

yello.png

untitled.png

Nice planet tditdatdwt! We're going to have to try and make this into a competition!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a nice plugin with lots of options but I prefer my way of making planets.   ;)

Best I could do so far.  

planetoid-2-c_zpsa54845a3.png

,,,and it's my first successful picture in pdn 4.0's,.    :)

Edited by skullbonz
  • Upvote 2

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Each to their own.

With Shape3D you don't have the fine control over the individual layers, and making a believable texture from scratch takes considerable skill. Not everyone has the time to learn such techniques or the skill to apply them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

At first, thank you very much for this awesome plugin!

I've got a question for you Ego Eram Reputo, ok its more a request then a question:

Could you add the possibility to create an Planetoid-Sheet?

Create a Planet, let the user take a picture (copy) and rotate the planet.

Copy, rotate, copy rotate, and so on.

It would be the perfekt tool for animated (spinning) planets.

PS: Thank you again for this awesome plugin  :)

Hey Gerrit - thanks for the compliment!  You've made my day.

I don't think that the plugin would easily lend itself to this type of modification.  But I have a cunning plan:

The plugin will use a selection to render a planet.  So if you make a wide 2D map (using Planetoid's 2D map option), then you can make successive rectangular selections to render a planet from each.

I'd do something like this...

2. Duplicate the base layer 23 times (23 + the original = 24).

3. Make a rectangular selection starting from 0,0 and run Planetoid to get the correct settings.

4. Activate the next layer and make another selection this time starting at +25,0 or 25 pixels to the right of the last selection.  

5. Press Ctrl + F to repeat Planetoid on the new selection.

6. Repeat 4 and 5 as many times as you like.

you should end up with a series of planets of individual layers, each a slight rotation from the last.

I had tried this and I need to say, work's great  ;)

But, it is extrem repetitive and eats over an hour for one smooth animation (for only one Planet).

Is there a way to automate this process?

Even if only there is some dirty code, the main thing is to speed up the process.

Do you have anny idea?

Thanks

post-140734-0-33423900-1426633126_thumb.

So cool  :D

Edited by Gerrit

On 3/17/2015 at 4:57 PM, Gerrit said:

I had tried this and I need to say, work's great  ;)

But, it is extrem repetitive and eats over an hour for one smooth animation (for only one Planet).

Is there a way to automate this process?

Even if only there is some dirty code, the main thing is to speed up the process.

Do you have anny idea?

Thanks

ScriptLab + i7 6700 = Automated & Speed up

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Sorry Gerrit, that is the best workaround I have.  The plugin was not made with animations in mind.  I am not entertaining the idea of revisiting the code in order to implement this feature - I have too much else to do.

It will help to use paint.net's "fixed size" option with the Rectangle Selection Tool.  Find it in the Toolbar when the Rectangle Selection tool is active.  Set it to use Pixels and type in the size (width, height) you want.  Clicking will now create the correct sized selection box.

For the displacement, use the Status bar - it shows the cursor position.  You'll need  0,0  then 25,0 followed by 50,0 etc...  Of course change the offset to what you wish.

Important:  The texture should "wrap" at the end of the sequence.  I.e the right hand side shoul match the left hand side.  This is so there will not be a visible join.

One last trick.  Once you have all the planets rendered, rotate each by around 15 degrees.  That will make the planet spin on an angled axis.  Very cool B)

One last trick.  Once you have all the planets rendered, rotate each by around 15 degrees.  That will make the planet spin on an angled axis.  Very cool  B)

I hadn't thought of that, nice!

• 1 month later...

Well, this plugin was pretty neat enough to make me want to create an account here just so I can drop my two cents worth.

Two things would make this plugin totally awesome: A way to make polar ice caps and a way to make cratering/scarring; craters are pretty much self-explanatory to the fact that most any planet, especially with no atmosphere, would have some evidence of a DISTINCT crater while scarring, on the other hand, would apply more to frozen planets that are like sheets of ice and any meteor hitting it would create either a scar or a glass shattering effect. At any rate, just simple cratering would be neat to be able to do so as to make kewl cratered surfaces.

Hi Artmatrix!  Thanks for the compliments on Planetoid.

The plugin can work in a number of different ways.  One of the less used features is that you can render a flat 2D map using all the same options to create a nice map-like texture.  This can be used to "add in" your own special effects.

Here's how I use this feature:

1. Make a neat texture without clouds.

2. Render this as a flat 2D map to the paint.net layer.

3. Add your own polar icecaps and/or craters as needed.  Flatten to a single layer once you're done.

yhsjjie_28.png

4. Reopen Planetoid and turn off all the "features" you've already rendered (see Planet Pussycat settings in first post in this thread).

5. Using the previously rendered & altered texture as a base, add in clouds to your liking.

6.  Render the finished texture as a 3D planet with appropriate lighting.

yhsjjie_29.png

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Rehosted images - Damn you Photobleh!

Thanx for the response.  I had already figured all that out. It just would be nice to have the craters/scars/ice caps done automatically just like it renders the land masses and oceans....