How to Install Plugins ×

Print It (Tools Effect)

midora

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with v0.9. I was using v0.8 with no particular problems, but when I updated to v0.9 today, it became unusable. When I open the Print It dialog box, my system goes crazy writing tmp files. I had to kill Paint.net to get out of the dialog box. I could send you screen shots of the resource monitor if that would help.

I went back to v0.8 and it worked fine. Please let me know if I can send you anything to help figure this out.

No idea what part of the code could write tmp files but maybe these are core dumps.

Are you sure you used for 0.9 the OptionBasedLibrary provided in 0.9? I'm still in developing the lib together with PrintIt that's why just the build number changes.

The basic information needed is Paint.Net->Settings->Diagnostic.

midoras signature.gif

• 6 months later...

Here is some "user experience" for you - I have a problem getting Print It to work.  Followed instructions to install and when I go to print something with it the opening Print It selection screen shows with my default printer in the box - but at that point everything (including paint.net) is locked up and I have to go to the Windows task manager to close paint.net.  My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium.  I do have the measure plugin added, and left optionbasedlibrary6 in the paint.net folder when I added version 7.  I'm a bit disappointed as I could really use the features of the plugin.  I have a few other plug-ins, as well, and all work fine.

Note:  After reading the response above about someone else from Seattle having to go back to v8 to get Printit to work, I downloaded v8 (with an older version of the optionbasedlibrary7 files) and it worked fine.  There seems to be a problem with the latest version of the optionbasedlibrary.

Edited by bpmiwa

If it hangs then maybe this change

- Printer tab: Added printer status and type information. Status message changes may be slow on some devices. It depends in most cases on the printer driver.

may create a timeout problem with some network printer drivers. I know a Brother printer where the status change takes ten minutes. But it does not hang in the startup. The problem may be that it is not possible to provide a timeout to all the driver functions in C# you have to use managed code hacks to get to the underlying os functions.

OptionBasedLibrary should not be involved in this issue. It is responsible for managing UI functionality.

I will check some methods after easter.

Thanks for reporting.

midoras signature.gif

• 9 months later...
Thanks Martin, a very useful plugin.

[...] Status message changes may be slow on some devices. It depends in most cases on the printer driver. [...]

Now I understand why this plugin is running with some delay at the start (HP2480).

• 5 months later...

So, apologies if I missed it in the thread, but can this plug in print each layer (i.e. as a multiple-page print job) ?

I was hoping to use the print-to-PDF functionality of my local printer settings in conjunction with this plug-in, otherwise I'm guessing I'd need a plugin that exports each layer as a page, to the one PDF file.

So, apologies if I missed it in the thread, but can this plug in print each layer (i.e. as a multiple-page print job) ?

I was hoping to use the print-to-PDF functionality of my local printer settings in conjunction with this plug-in, otherwise I'm guessing I'd need a plugin that exports each layer as a page, to the one PDF file.

The PDF filetype plugin can do that.  You can find it on the forums here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/22863-portable-document-format-filetype-plugin-pdf/

You won't even need to use a PDF printer.

Edited by kuenzign
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Martin Osieka,

I recently updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The Print It tool was working OK before the update, now it shows me the interface and it blocks. I waited over 10 minutes and I had to shut down Paint.net via the Task Manager. I Hope there is a solution for this problem.

Hi Elli,

I would expect there may be an issue with your printer drivers on Windows 10.

But because I will never switch to W10 (thanks to the policy of MS) I can't even guess if there is an other issue. Sorry.

midoras signature.gif

Thanks for the reply Martin, I have an old Dell 3000cn laser printer (A company was getting rid of several printers 5 years ago I grabbed one from litterally the bin)  and so far works so well that I never had any issues (I have not even changed the cartriges). It still works using Windows 10 although there is no new driver provided by Dell. So it is possible that the problem is caused by the driver.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone had problems with Print It running slowly? Each operation in it seems to take ages; maybe 1 whole minute to do something such as selecting a tab or a setting. Now I'm a retired old giffer and have plenty of time but even I find this frustrating. I bet it's just me or my PC (an Acer Aspire One running Win7). Any ideas?

Tony

plainoldtony

I've tried on a beefier computer and it works just fine. So I'll just have to figure out what's wrong with the laptop. This is the plugin I've been needing for a while. Don't know why I didn't find it before. For me, the main advantage is the ability to easily print the exact size of the image.

Give Martin a medal

plainoldtony

• 4 months later...

We love this tool! Thank you!

Unfortunately the plugin takes not the language from pdn (german), its in english. Quick n' dirty I replaced in the dlc files with notepad++ and regex all english terms with their german translations. I have no time to check whats going wrong. PDN is 4.0.17, printit 0.9.

Any hints?

Felixyz

• 1 month later...

iam haveing problems. I am printing on 5 sheets, stretched image to area. page 5 is the same as page 1 and i am missing the last part of the image that should be on page 5. Even when printing on 2 pages it shows page 1 twice

Edited by BEV

I've rehosted the PrintIt dll.

The link in the first post should now take you to my Dropbox where the file can be downloaded.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Given that the first instruction on installing this plugin is to:

- Copy the two files OptionBasedLibrary vX.X.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\ folder (NOT to Paint.NET\Effects\ !!!)

Is there any way to install it for Windows Store version of PdN?

3 minutes ago, klogg said:

Is there any way to install it for Windows Store version of PdN?

According to the following post you can copy both files into the paint.net App Files/Effects/ folder.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Hmmm... yes so it does.

Kind of.

It seems incredibly slow to open and slow to respond once it does.

And then opening the printer properties freezes it.

I wonder if the two are related and it is my printer driver (Brother) that is causing it to misbehave?

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2018 at 4:33 PM, klogg said:

Hmmm... yes so it does.

Kind of.

It seems incredibly slow to open and slow to respond once it does.

And then opening the printer properties freezes it.

I wonder if the two are related and it is my printer driver (Brother) that is causing it to misbehave?

Slow to open and the app just freezes up when it finally opens.  I use this app quite often so this behavior is recent in the last few weeks......

• 4 months later...

Don't know if this is still active, last post being four years ago. Downloaded v9  and when I called it up it freezes the program. I didn't really see any solution other than using v8, which I don't know if it's still available. I would really love to use this plugin! I run Windows 10 (unfortunately) Anybody's help would be appreciated.

Hey Glenn - welcome aboard the forum :)

Did you follow these instructions?

Installation

- Copy the two files OptionBasedLibrary vX.X.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\ folder (NOT to Paint.NET\Effects\ !!!)
- Copy the two files PrintIt.Effect.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\Effects\ folder

11 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Hey Glenn - welcome aboard the forum :)

Did you follow these instructions?

Yes, I've double-checked just to make sure and that's where they are.