Sign in to follow this  
BoltBait

BoltBait's Plugin Pack for v4.0+ Updated February 5, 2015

txmom    1

I have Windows 8 and some of the effects from this plugin pack show up and some do not. I need the Paste Alpha effect for using masks and it doesn't show up.  :(

BoltBait    1,226

I have Windows 8 and some of the effects from this plugin pack show up and some do not. I need the Paste Alpha effect for using masks and it doesn't show up.  :(

I'm as frustrated as you. I can't reproduce the problem. I have Win 8 on one of my laptops and Paint.NET and my effects work fine there.

In Paint.NET, can you click the Gear (upper right corner), Diagnostics, Copy to Clipboard and paste your results here. Maybe that will give me a clue. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, once you click the gear, do you see any "Plugin Errors" listed below Diagnostics? If so, show us all of those too. Thanks.

Ego Eram Reputo    1,684

Are you looking in the Effects > Object sub menu?

txmom    1

I'm as frustrated as you. I can't reproduce the problem. I have Win 8 on one of my laptops and Paint.NET and my effects work fine there.

In Paint.NET, can you click the Gear (upper right corner), Diagnostics, Copy to Clipboard and paste your results here. Maybe that will give me a clue. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, once you click the gear, do you see any "Plugin Errors" listed below Diagnostics? If so, show us all of those too. Thanks.

Application paint.net 4.0.3 (Final 4.3.5316.40022)
Build Date Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Hardware accelerated rendering (GPU) True
Animations True
DPI 96.00 (1.00x scale)
Language en-US

OS Windows 8.1 (6.3.9600.0)
.NET Runtime 4.0.30319.34014
Physical Memory 6,054 MB

CPU Intel® Core i3-4005U CPU @ 1.70GHz
    Architecture x64 (64-bit)
    Process Mode 64-bit
    Speed ~1696 MHz
    Cores / Threads 4
    Features DEP, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4_1, SSE4_2, XSAVE

Video Card Intel® HD Graphics Family
    Dedicated Video RAM 0 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 1,792 MB
    Vendor ID 0x8086
    Device ID 0x0A16
    Subsystem ID 0xF9101179
    Revision 11
    LUID 0x000087C9
    Flags None
    Outputs 1

Video Card Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    Dedicated Video RAM 0 MB
    Dedicated System RAM 0 MB
    Shared System RAM 256 MB
    Vendor ID 0x1414
    Device ID 0x008C
    Subsystem ID 0x00000000
    Revision 0
    LUID 0x00008955
    Flags Software
    Outputs 0

txmom    1

Yes. I actually see Paste Alpha extension but it doesn't show up in the program.

txmom    1

I found the Paste Alpha effect but when I use it in 3.5 version of PDN, it allows me to import a mask that has already been made so I apply a mask to a layer to get the effect I want.  My laptop has PDN4.0.3 and I've noticed that a lot of the effects and adjustments don't show up like they do in the 3.5 version which is on my desktop.   :/

Ego Eram Reputo    1,684

A LOT of plugins have been updated to work with paint.net 4. You will need to downloaded the updated versions and install them on your laptop to get them to show up.

Yes. I actually see Paste Alpha extension but it doesn't show up in the program.

I'm a bit confused. Does it appear in the sub menu? If it does then it's installed. If it doesn't run that's another issue (see my first point).

BoltBait asked if there were any Plugin Errors reported. That's a little different from the Diagnostics info you posted. Have a look under the Plugin Errors tab and see what is posted there.

txmom    1

I just figured out that the alpha mask I have been using on my desktop PDN is from the Megalo plugin pack, which isn't actually from this site. I was able to apply a mask already made to a layer for the mask effect. UGH!!!  The plugin errors that are showing up on my laptop PDN are Flag.dll, StockLibrary.dll, and SubtleEffects.dll. Don't think this fixes my issue but hope this helps. :plug:

• Upvote 1

Ego Eram Reputo    1,684

He's right txmom. You should remove ALL traces of that download - even if this means deleting the entire contents of the Paint.NET/Effects/ and Paint.NET/Filetypes/ folders.

Then scan your system thoroughly.  Twice.

Once your system is clean, return here and download and install the updated plugins/plugin packs you require.  Never install a plugin from any other source.

BoltBait    1,226

I just added the new Object Inner Shadow plugin and Selection Inner Shadow plugin to the pack.

Enjoy! :D

BoltBait    1,226

I just fixed the Selection Inner Shadow plugin that I had added to the pack today. It was not properly calculating the alpha of the resulting pixels. So, if you tried to use it on a totally transparent canvas, nothing would be rendered.

So, for you 56 people who downloaded the pack today, please download again.

Sorry for not properly testing it before including it in the pack. :(

Eli    772

I just fixed the Selection Inner Shadow plugin that I had added to the pack today. It was not properly calculating the alpha of the resulting pixels. So, if you tried to use it on a totally transparent canvas, nothing would be rendered.

Dear BoltBait, I just downloaded the latest version 3.0. Now it renders if I make a selection but it does not render if I select the entire canvas.

The same thing for the object version.

Edited by Eli

BoltBait    1,226

Eli, if the entire canvas is selected, there is no unselected part of the canvas to cast a shadow.

Remember, the selected area is where the shadow is rendered and the unselected areas are the things that cast the shadow.

• Upvote 1

Eli    772

I have in this image two selections, a house and a tree. I expected the left part of the tree trunk to have a shadow just as the left side of the house

tree-and-house-49b9b32.png

BoltBait    1,226

But, you see, there is nothing on the left side of the trunk that is not selected to cast a shadow. Your selection goes all the way to the edge of the canvas. The area outside of the canvas does not cast a shadow.

Think of the canvas as a piece of paper held 1 inch above the table. If you cut a hole in that paper, light will shine through that hole and cast a shadow on the table. My plugin is rendering that shadow. Now, if you cut a hole at the edge of the paper, there is nothing outside of that paper to cast a shadow on the table in that area.

Mixing your example with mine, the selected area is the hole cut in the paper and the unselected area is the paper itself. Do you see that in your example drawing, there is no paper left in the lower left corner to cast a shadow?

Eli    772

Thanks for the explanation. I moved the selection one pixel to the right and voila!, I got my shadow.  :)

The plugin works as it should I was under the impression that the plugin would cast a shadow for any selection but I had not considered that my tree was at the edge. I was thinking that it would behave like the Vignette+ plugin.

By the way, Vignette+ plugin renders a shadow based on an oval I wonder if it could be enhanced by giving an option to render the shadow based on the size/shape of the canvas (rectangles, squares).

Edited by Eli

I am very happy to see there is both an object inner shadow plugin, and a selection inner shadow plugin. Gold star :star: for awesome work & cake  :cake: for a thank you! :)

However, seeing how you have made both a selection version and an object version for this plugin, it makes me want to ask for another plugin, one I've actually been wanting from you for a long time, but I never attempted to ask.

Would it be hard for you to make an “object” version of your Bevel Selection plugin?

I love your bevel selection, but I don't always like to use selections. Most of the time if I use a selection I need to use edge smoothing plugins afterwards, but, sometimes for some objects or shapes that are too thin or pointy, edge smoothing plugins easily affect how they look, and not always in a good way. I already like Red Ochre's bevel plugin, but your selection bevel produces different results. I would like to see the results I get from the Bevel Selection plugin, but without the need of a selection, so that way the edges of my objects hopefully stay nicer looking.

BoltBait    1,226

Thanks for the cake! :D

Would it be hard for you to make an “object” version of your Bevel Selection plugin?

I'll look into it on some rainy day when I have nothing better to do. But, not today. Here's why:

Most of my plugins are fairly simple. Useful, to be sure, but simple code wise. For example, the code for Object Feather is 34 lines. Object Inner Shadow is one of the longer ones at about 100 lines. Bevel Selection, on the other hand is over 500 lines of code that I didn't write mixed with about 50 lines I wrote. The code is incredibly complicated. I honestly don't actually understand all of it. I felt pretty adventurous adding a strength slider to it last year. So, modifying the algorithm to work with objects instead of selections is a HUGE undertaking.

Now, I'm not saying it would be impossible. But, as you saw with my first attempt at writing Selection Inner Shadow, sometimes the formulas don't directly translate from the Object type plugins. So, don't hold your breath waiting for it.

BoltBait    1,226

I'll look into it on some rainy day when I have nothing better to do. 

Apparently it was raining today...  :lol: 

I have built a version that works well.  I'll polish it up and publish soon.

Yay! That's wonderful! :D

Haha. I sound bad wanting you to have rainy days, but I hope you have a few more rainy days now, so you can polish up that soon to be wonderful plugin! But actually, rainy days might just happen. It was very snowy here today. We have a big snow storm that started yesterday, and it snowed most of today, and it will carry over till tomorrow. It wouldn't surprise me if other places are having snow or rain too. So yes! Come rain, come! Rain on BoltBait. :lol:

On a less silly note, thanks for putting in the time and effort for my plugin requests. It really is appreciated. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles