This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

irIrhW7.png

PDN v3.5.11 - Plugins needed:

AA's_Assistant

Grid/CheckerBoard Maker

Tube Oblique

Oblique

Tile Image

1. Start with a new canvas size: 540x540px.

2. Add a new layer.

3. In the Colors float window click on More>> and expand. Type in the Hex box: 7F3300. Swich colors and type in the Hex box: F7E68F

4. Effect>>Render>>Grid/CheckerBoard Maker.

nwyZLM9.png

5. Add a new layer (Gradient_Radial) and move it down.

6. In the Tools float menu click on Rectangle Select and draw a selection on half of the canvas.

qUa4ykI.png

7. In the Tools float menu click on Gradient>>Radial (color mode) and left click on the mouse and draw a 

gradient then Deselect (Ctrl+D).

224d8WU.png

8. Add a new layer (Edge). In the Tools float menu click on Rectangle Select and draw a selection in center of the canvas like in image below. In the Tools float menu click on Gradient>>Linear(Reflected) and draw a gradient then Deselect (Ctrl+D).

ya55Cj7.png

oGs4pAp.png

9. Select Gradient_Radial layer and make a selection with Rectangle Select. Click on Move Selection press Shift key. Right click on the corner of selection and rotate with 30 degrees (look in the status bar of the window to see degrees). Invert selection (Ctrl+I) and Delete. Effects>>Object and run AA's_Assistant.

bnntaRJ.png

10. Duplicate layer Gradient_Radial. Click on Layers and Flip Horizontal, again Layers and Flip Vertical. Select Edge layer and click on Merge Layer Down twice.

dEiuSfa.png

11. On Effect menu click on Distort and choose TubeOblique.

i4gzfgO.png

12. On Effect menu click on Distort and choose Oblique.

0Bu8EHT.png

13. On Effect menu click on Distort and choose Tile Image.

lD93EPe.png

14. Add a New Layer (Bolt) and move it down. In the Tools float menu click on Rectangle Select and draw a 

selection. Click on Gradient>>Linear(Reflected) and draw a gradient. Deselect (Ctrl+D). Make Grid layer and Background layer invisible.

JbQwpCd.png

Duplicate Bolt layer. Select Gradient_Radial layer and click on Merge Layer Down.

Now you can resize with Move Selected Pixels, copy, paste in new layer, join two pieces etc.

Also you can use Adjustments>>Curve or Conditional Hue / Saturation to change the glow / color.

• Upvote 9

Very nice tutorial. I have to echo Goony's comment about the excellent use of gradients. :star:

Well Done very clear and concise  bravo.gif

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

• 1 year later...

Nice tutorial, had a few minor hiccoughs that I got over easily. Thanks for writing this and I like your color choices they work very well together, got them saved for my future use. :)

I think I got enough cables, chains, screws and enough metal looking bits and pieces to make something out of it all. :D

Some good looking posted images above. Sand33P, yours is especially nice.

WormScrewTut.png

SloppySig.png

• 3 months later...

I've tried this one many times and I still can't produce a worm screw. I think this tutorial is an advanced tutorial, not a beginner's one.

Which step are you having trouble with?

9. Select Gradient_Radial layer and make a selection with Rectangle Select. Click on Move Selection press Shift key. Right click on the corner of selection and rotate with 30 degrees (look in the status bar of the window to see degrees). Invert selection (Ctrl+I) and Delete. Effects>>Object and run AA's_Assistant.

9a. Make a rectangular selection with the rectangle select tool :RectangleSelectTool: on the Gradient_Radial layer.

9b. Press the M key twice - this tool moves the selection outline (and not the selected pixels).

9c. Hold the Shift key down then Right click and drag. The right mouse key performs rotation, the Shift key constrains the rotation angle to 15 degree increments.

9d. Invert the selection with Ctrl + I.

9e. Press the Delete key to erase everything not in the inverted selection.

9f. Run the AA's Assisstant plugin on the same layer.

9a. Make a rectangular selection with the rectangle select tool :RectangleSelectTool: on the Gradient_Radial layer.

9b. Press the M key twice - this tool moves the selection outline (and not the selected pixels).

9c. Hold the Shift key down then Right click and drag. The right mouse key performs rotation, the Shift key constrains the rotation angle to 15 degree increments.

9d. Invert the selection with Ctrl + I.

9e. Press the Delete key to erase everything not in the inverted selection.

9f. Run the AA's Assisstant plugin on the same layer.

Thanks, EER. I will try it that way. :) Now i remember why I hadn't done this tutorial. I don't have the Tile Image plugin. Which brings me to this question. Is Curtis's plgin pack compatible with PDN version 4.0.6? I have the other plugins for the tutorial except Tile Image.

Edited by mackenzieh

Nice outcome, mackenzieh! JC_clap.gif

And thank you, xod, for the tute! (I'll give it a go asap) JC_cheers.gif

Thanks Maximilian. :)

Edited by mackenzieh