ScifiGirls gallery

ScifiGirl

Okay, so my friends pestered me, Mel, make a gallery. So here is my first and I know I need some serious help. But I do listen and I do appreciate any critique, as I have big shoulders :P I'll add more as I improve of course, but some tips for my starters would be great :D

Australia-space_zps56e52add.jpg

self added to SG1, its a new version of the one I did in PS as I was advised to do :D

teamtemp_zpsa6bcbb3c.jpg

• Upvote 3

NewCatesiggy_zps1bc90d52.jpg

"Geek is me"

A great start to your gallery. I really liked the first image. As a small tip, I'd make the water darker with some sort of glow just so it would blend better with the rest of the image.

Can't wait to see more.

• Upvote 1

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

thank you Dark, I thought of that, I probably should have used a less tropical stock photo in hindsight. I can do it again quite easily. How do I make the glow? :D

"Geek is me"

Glad you started a gallery.

The first image - The planet's horizon should fade in the distance, be less sharp and making the water darker will help blend it all together.

I totally like that you set yourself into the Stargate image. Did a great job there.

• Upvote 1

SloppySig.png

thank you Doughty, I am going to do the planet one again :)

new one, just for fun :D

Sydneybynight2_zps734a15b8.jpg

"Geek is me"

Glad you started your own gallery :D

The tropical one should also have a slight curve to the horizon. 

Like the new one.

• Upvote 1
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

thank you Barbie, it was about time I did :)

I know, but I have no idea how to do that at the moment. I have some ideas tho :D

Well it was either that one or Brisbane :P Lol I have an idea for that to hahhahhaha

"Geek is me"

new version, as you can see I'm still having some issues. The horizon didn't crop cleanly, even though I had an image with a white background to work with :(

Untitled4_zpsff8c9a70.jpg

half size pic

Untitled-copy_zps948580cf.jpg

Edited by ScifiGirl
  • Upvote 2

"Geek is me"

Lovely start to your gallery ScifiGirl. I really like your third offering with the giant ship. Works well with your background and blends fairly nicely.

Your rework of the beach scape image is also more "convincing". The horizon works fine for me as it creates a sort of misty effect above the water. I'm questioning myself however as to if it's a tad too elliptical.

The Bulge plugin might help reduce that effect a bit but I can't find it for the life of me. If you're at all curious I believe the Point Warp plugin might provide a similar effect.

Also, I'm assuming you are taking advantage of the Feather plugin to clean up some of your cutouts. While it's a sound technique, depending on the backdrop I sometimes find it can overblur the edges. In the above case, I tend to lean towards AA Assistant instead and play with the variables to get a smooth transition.

Other than that I'd say keep up the good work. You obviously are showing some strong composition skills. My final word of advice would be to always take into close account the lighting (light sources) in your image as it plays a big key in creating a realistic composition.

Looking forward to more!

Cheers B)

• Upvote 1

SigSpec2.png

The Bulge plugin might help reduce that effect a bit but I can't find it for the life of me.

Are you talking about the Bluge effect that's built into paint.net and is found under the "distort" category? (for my distort plugin category, it's near the top.)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Thank you so much for your kind words Spectre. I did try a smaller arc, varying it around a little, but this one sort of made it stand out a little more so. As for the edge, I looked at some stock photos of planets etc (even artists ones) and yes, they all seem to have a glow to the edge, so a mistake on my part, but looks cool anyway.

I'll look for it (bulge) and the other as well :D I do have those other plug ins, and I did use AA assistant, but I remember reading the tutorial and I should have done it a couple of times perhaps :)

:D If only I could get my head out of Scifi, I might make something more earthy Lol....but thank you all the same, I really appreciate it.

Oh, on the lighting, I cheated. Because the plug in here (the one that is supposed to copy PS lighting effects), crashed so I had to take it out. I did the whole pic, then had a friend of mine at the star behind the ship. The one around the planet is part of the stock photo.

"Geek is me"

Well Great! first you show up throwing you talented self on to my computer screen and now  you compile your stuff into a gallery....WELL! 7e86cfd3.gif signlol_zps62d00820.gif

Seriously (just for the mo. though) GREAT Work. Good to see you have started a gallery.  I join the others in enjoying your pictures (your Stargate is vastly improved, and at least you have a smile vs the luddites next to you )             tootles 63037d45.gif

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

:lol: Scooter you are definitely in the wrong business, you should look into stand up comedy! There is nothing better I love, than to have a good laugh first thing in the morning! Thank you! and thank you for the wonderful compliments. I will be trying to diversify my stuff soon.... :)

"Geek is me"

Helen and CC, thank you so much for your lovely words and encouragement. I have another coming up soon, which I think you will both love :)

"Geek is me"

Impressive new piece, SciFi girl! The planet sits nicely on the horizon and doesn't look too out of place. My only issue is that the planet would be blurry, since the focal point of the photograph is the elephant in the front. Other than that, it looks great :)

• Upvote 1

thank you both :)

On the focal point, I did think about that. But then I remembered seeing some professional landscapes where they take two photos, one focused on the foreground and one in the background then merge them. So ...... :D

"Geek is me"

I understand about the blurring, seeing as how the background elephants are blurred, but I personally like it how it is, the planet is too cool to make blurry. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 1

Good photo manipulations ScifiGirl!I like the 3rd one the most so far.The one with the elephants is really cool but I myself would have made the African part darker.In fact,perhaps a full on night time scene?Which would be rather simple to achieve but not necessary.

I've tried several versions of this later one (even one with David Attenborough in it) Lol... This was the one I was happiest with. Johnny, I darkened it a lot, it was very bright, the original. I'm not sure how to make it night, except perhaps to make it with a blue hue :D

"Geek is me"