How to open 3.5.11 after installing 4.0

skullbonz

I decided to finally try version 4.0 but wanted to keep 3.5.11 just in case or for a fall back. I went to this thread; http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27227-paintnet-40-alpha-build-5034/page-6#entry399792    and did what EER said here;

welshblue, on 08 Nov 2013 - 4:30 PM, said:

snapback.png

ASH had a way of keeping both versions when a Beta was released but I can't for the life of me remember how he said to do it.  Any enlightenment gratefully received.

You need to install 3.5.11 then make a copy of the installation folder before reinstalling 4.0.  Here's how:

1. Install 3.5.11

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Paint.NET  

3. Copy the folder using Ctrl+C (or right click + Copy) and paste using Ctrl+V (or right click + Paste).  The pasted version of the folder will have "copy" appended to the name (or similar).

4. Right click on the copy and rename it to "Paint.NET 3.5.11".

5. Install 4.0 which will overwrite the original installation folder, leaving Paint.NET 3.5.11 in situ.

I now open version 4.0 using the desktop icon which is fine and it looks great. I do have the copy of 3.5.11 in my program files but with no icon to click to open it or not knowing which file to create a shortcut for I am lost in how to start 3.5.11. I have found a couple plugins that won't work with 4.0 so it would be nice to be able to use both for now.  Other than that little problem I am liking the new build,nice job Rick. 

How would I go about creating a shortcut on the desktop separate from 4.0 to open 3.5.11?

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Right click your desktop > New > Shortcut

Navigate to Computer > C:/Program Files/Paint.NET 3.5.11 (or whatever you called it) and double click the file PaintDotNet.exe

Then it's OK all the way home.

NB: You can't run them simultaneously.

If you have a copy of VirtualBox, you can run one on your usual desktop and the other in a Windows virtualbox (I use the Windows 7 one offered at modern.ie, which I usually have open for web development anyway).

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thank you for the quick responses. I tried what you said but in C:/Program files/Paint.Net my PaintDotNet.exe has .cofig at the end and does not open the program. 

I know I can't run both at once,but would like the choice to use either. I have gotten to know my way around the older version quite well and can do things very quickly sometimes. In the newer version it is going to take me a bit of time to get used to the changes and few non working plugins so it is slow going right now. 

I really like the new version and look forward to the day I have it mastered but miss the old version for ease of use right now. I have several other art programs in two versions which has proven very handy in some cases. One being for using plugins that are oldies but goodies yet are not supported on newer versions. 

There must be another file with the exe extension. Have another look? Remember this is the older folder, not the new installation.

If your file extensions are hidden it might just be PaintDotNet

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Wow,just by chance I checked here again and you guys already had an answer,thank you very much for the quick responses. That was the trick and boy do I feel stupid,it was right in plain site. Thank you very much this will work very nicely until I sort out the plugins on the newer version and learn the interface better.  Thanks again,you guys are the geatest.   :)

Glad to be of assistance. 

With the new Beta out - I'll have to spend some time updating the list of incompatible plugins :(  A Moderators work is never done....