Megalo = VIRUS!

Ego Eram Reputo

9 minutes ago, MDisANoob said:

Ok I understand your point and all, the plugin pack is harmful but the problem here is that I used a lot of plugins that were in the pack, could you at least mention a way to get the plugs legally?

Download the plugins that you want to use threads in the Plugins - Publishing ONLY! section of the forum.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I'm sorry for all people here offering such wonderful plugins for free and now I read here that this bundle with all the plugins is illegal. I must admit this plugin package was offered by some websites of some German Computer magazins and therefore it did not came in my mind that there might be something wrong. 

I came here because I installed the Melago package and was overwhelmed. I thought it is something official you did, because as maker/producer the official paint.net Website was linked. So I came her in the hoped that I might get here more information what each plugin does, e.g. a list. 

I'm a little confused now.  As I wrote the Mengalo Plugin pack is offered by the websites of some German Computer magazines, one of them is a really good one also computer scientists read (magazine and online). All things they offer for download are checked for all malware/virus. The only offer virus free downloads.

I checked my computer and there was no virus alert.

But with all the warnings here in panic, I asked my brother, who is a computer scientist working for a German world wide working company and big international companies and governmental institutions are their costumers. 

He told me the warnings of malware might be a wrong alert. They had this more and more often in the last four years when they send their costumers updates. There is malware with algorithms very similar to algorithms used when packing bundles. So some antivirus software give warnings when unpacking or installing this bundle. And you can imagine after such an alert often virustotal is used and the result is, some say there is malware, others not. 

In case of my brothers company with e. g. also big international insurance companies and even secret services involved by the governmental institutions they did not find a malware, but only the problem of the similarity in the algorithms. 

My brother checked my PC and everything is ok.

But I can say this only for the Melago plugin bundle I downloaded from the German computer magazine. So of course there might be a malware in other bundles. The reason I write is, that there are so many different warnings at the virustotal and other antivirus software, that the explaination my brother told me might be right.

So, now to my problem: I do not want to have installed something illegal, but which of the plugins are in the in the effects when I install Paint.net? I have a documentation which plugins I downloaded here. So I would delete all other plugins in the effects folder and after that I would install the plugins from here.

Another suggestion: I know all plugins are free and voluntary work. But perhaps it is possible that e. g. some here can do a special plugin list. I know there is an alphabetically one. But many people starting using paint.net are similar users to formally photoshop elements users. It would be wonderful to have a list to special plugin themes. I do not know whether there is a classification for plugins - ok here I see my problems, that I do not have an English knowledge in this field. I hope you can understand what I mean. It would also be nice if such a thread is only for the list, no discussion. Only if there is an update there should be a short post, deleted when a new update is announced. 

So it would be easy to find the plugins that might fit. 

I was happy to see the Melago bundle at the PC magazine and so I thought that I can try some plugins and my idea was to delete the plugins I think I would not need for my work. I admit for me it is difficult to find here a plugin for a special purpose I had in mind. 

But at first I will be happy if you help me desinstalling the plugins from the Melago bundle without deleting the plugins paint,net usually has installed and leaving the plugins installed I had installed from here. 

sanni

As far as I know, Paint.net has not released an official pack of plugins. Strange that a magazine would direct you toward the Megalo pack. It is best to download plugins from the official site. The plugins in the Megalo pack are probably outdated and illegally published. 

I would erase the content of the Effectsffects folder ( C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects ).

Uninstall Paint.net run an antivirus.

Reinstall the latest Paint.net version.

You can find the the plugins in this post : Plugin Index they have a description of what they do but they are not listed by "theme" as you would like.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Eli said:

I would erase the content of the Effectsffects folder ( C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects ).

Also empty the Filetypes folder (usually C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes ).

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your answers, but I definitely have no virus on my computer. 

My question was, when I install paint.net the first time, which files are then in the folder? I do not want to delete and reinstall my paint.net, as I had some other plugins already installed before megalo and I do not want to hate to search for it, find the right version, etc. I have documented, which plugins I installed before Megalo, so best way for me would be to know what is the standard in these two folders after someone has installed it. 

Plugin Index they have a description of what they do but they are not listed by "theme" 

And this is my problem. you hat so many plugins I have the feeling it would last my annual leave to go through the plugins. As I do not know the name and as my mother tongue is not English, it is really difficult to find the plugin I'm looking for me and my children.

I was working with photoshop, then I started to work with children many years ago and there we could work with photoshop elements. And there I was used to a plugin base by themes.

A good time ago I started to work in my free time with disadvantaged children. We have donated computers and I changed to paint.net and was happy to find it, as I think you have more possibilities than with photoshop elements and I'm very thankful to the work done here by so many people. My only problem is I think we could do far more, if I would find the right plugins.

And my children love it, too. We have already three of them who got an internship, with paint.net as little reason they have now a good official training space as different craftsmen. The firms had more internships and the children from me showed the master craftsmen, that they could do logos, photos and presentations for smaller regional craft fairs. An having the choice between two trainees which are both good at work, but one can also do presentations, you could guess who was chosen. One cild finished the education for his job and works now self-employed offering presentations for fairs for small firms. He has already two employees.

Therefore I made the suggestion to start a list for the plugins by theme. I just knew and loved this at Photoshop Elements many years ago, when you could buy a version licence. I know the nerds will find any plugin they need, but for the normal people using Paint.net as wonderful software in their free time it is really hard to find the right plugin. 

7 hours ago, sanni said:

when I install paint.net the first time, which files are then in the folder?

When first installed, paint.net does not put any files in the Effects folder.

7 hours ago, sanni said:

you hat so many plugins I have the feeling it would last my annual leave to go through the plugins.

That is a wonderful problem to have.  It is so much better than having NO plugins, wouldn't you agree?

7 hours ago, sanni said:

I made the suggestion to start a list for the plugins by theme.

Sounds like a great suggestion. As everyone else is busy, perhaps you could take on that project.  Imagine how much of a plugin expert you'd be once you've completed it!

You see, we are all volunteers here, so when someone sees a need it is best to fill it yourself.

That said, there is one other alternative you could try:

Once loaded, it can search the list of plugins by keyword and keywords are much more rich than just the name of each plugin.

Just know this, if you insist on keeping the megalo pack installed... we will not help you further.

• Upvote 1

Here's something that will surely help. Keep in mind the list is not complete - but captures the most plugins I have. Enough to get you started. Selections with the puzzle icon are add-ins. Others are built in. I just selected the themes by menu headings.

https://nickpic.host/image/r2VRQq

On 5/1/2017 at 8:57 AM, BoltBait said:

As everyone else is busy

Too much time on my hands - La La La - Remember that one

Edited by AndrewDavid
Refreshed Link

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

• 5 years later...

Oh no i downloaded that pack and i still use it, ugh stupid me!, And now how do i remove Evogen just with Windows Defender for Windows 10!?

You could try this:

Remove malware from your Windows PC
  1. Open your Windows Security settings.
  2. Select Virus & threat protection > Scan options.
  3. Select Windows Defender Offline scan, and then select Scan now.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

4 hours ago, Pixey said:

You could try this:

Remove malware from your Windows PC
  1. Open your Windows Security settings.
  2. Select Virus & threat protection > Scan options.
  3. Select Windows Defender Offline scan, and then select Scan now.

Urgh i hate my mom, she thinks i'm destroying the pc by doing what you told me!, I'm not that foolable!, Please bring source to show my stoopid mom that it's safe! (Sorry if i sounded cringy and inmature, is that i'm REALLY mad with my mom)

Yeah we're not really interested in your teenage angst 😂 If you have an actual question then just ask it. "Please bring source" doesn't even make sense.

Also, be nice to your mom.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg