Non-obvious (IMO): Shapes are still vectors after the main 'release'.

circlularthinking

I just found this out, and while it does not solve entirely my concentric circle difficulties if pixel perfect alignment is wanted, it does make tweaking all shape sizes MUCH easier!

If you click down and drag to make a shape of a given size, then release, the shape is selected.

It looks the same as any other selection, and if you normally resize a shape you get a raster resize, which is to say ugly.

But if you resize a shape before clicking finish or something else that completes the shape process, I am glad to see that it remains as a vector!

So you can draw a tiny circle and then drag it in multiple steps to fill the screen and it will not be blocky, and ugly in the least! Nor blury.

This is a very nice feature and it took me ages to notice this, so I thought others might not have discovered this either.

Edited by circlularthinking

Actually, I have found that while it remains a vector, once the left click is released it no longer does part pixel re-positioning.

If you make a circle, as you resize it intially it moves/resizes very smoothly in a subpixle manner.

But once you release it, or indeed move it after the release, it is no longer given to this fine degree of control. It is now a more crude pixelated resize, even though still vector it now resizes in jumps.

Maybe this is something that could be addressed?

Once you commit a shape to the image, it is converted to pixels and is no longer considered a "shape."

Paint.net is not a vector graphics editor. If that's what you're looking for, get Inkscape.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Actually, I have found that while it remains a vector, once the left click is released it no longer does part pixel re-positioning.

If you make a circle, as you resize it intially it moves/resizes very smoothly in a subpixle manner.

But once you release it, or indeed move it after the release, it is no longer given to this fine degree of control. It is now a more crude pixelated resize, even though still vector it now resizes in jumps.

Maybe this is something that could be addressed?

I'm planning to fix this in the next update. The drawing part should not have sub-pixel precision.

In a post-4.0 release, I'm thinking of adding a button to let you enable or disable sub-pixel precision (aka pixel snapping). 

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I'm planning to fix this in the next update. The drawing part should not have sub-pixel precision.

In a post-4.0 release, I'm thinking of adding a button to let you enable or disable sub-pixel precision (aka pixel snapping). 

Well I would just (humbly) request that if it has sub-pixel precision (an option sounds good), that it retain this behavior as it is resized before being applied/finalized.

pdnnoob: Yes, I know, never the less shapes are in vector form from when you begin making it, release it, resize it after releasing left/right click... Right up until you click apply, or change tool or select all etc...

Right up until you click apply, or change tool or select all etc...

That was my point. It sounded to me like you were asking for it to be editable as a vector after being converted to pixels and was very vaguely (my bad) pointing out that it wasn't going to happen due to the nature of paint.net

This would be quite nice

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo