Smoke Effects [No Plugins!]

FotoFactory

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Have you always wanted to make smoke effects but don't know how? 

Well, this is the tutorial for you!

In 6 simple steps, you can make cool effects.

Step one:

Z0DiYMr.png

Step two:

vtLqHXA.png

Step three:

iD4hB6R.png

Step four:

jXgVPQz.png

Step five:

pPZ2Il9.png

Final step (optional):

QE5OZND.png

Final Product:

YmUXwnh.png

Another try at the effect but this time with bullet holes:KJ4hA9K.png

• Upvote 4

Here's my sig.(Click it now!)

AeEEeGO.png

Hi, it's me. I like experimenting with PDN to make really cool effects. I also like to

code in HTML and Lua. I like PC games and making youtube videos to show

my friends. Nice meeting you! See you later.

Interesting effect, especially on the bullet holes. I like the simplicity of this, perhaps move it to the beginers tutorials section ? I don't really feel this needs to be in the Distortions and Modifications thread. 
You will need to resize your screenshots down to 800x600 Or this tutorial may get locked or removed ;)

ZXCBOoZ.png

Interesting effect, especially on the bullet holes. I like the simplicity of this, perhaps move it to the beginers tutorials section ? I don't really feel this needs to be in the Distortions and Modifications thread. 

You will need to resize your screenshots down to 800x600 Or this tutorial may get locked or removed ;)

Agreed on all points.  I have moved the tutorial; now it's time for OP to resize those images :-)

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Just another tip :)

If using a candle for the effect, it is better if it is illustrated as just been extinguished.(candles don't really give off a lot of smoke when lit)  
Also perhaps pick a pale blue to replicate the smoke ;) I also duplicated the smoke layer (after running dents) and set the upper layer blend mode to colour burn with an opacity of 90. A better effect IMO :)

candle_zps7f2cb5a8.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

ZXCBOoZ.png

I haven't tried this tutorial yet, but I like how the end result looks, so it's on my list of "dos". :)

And I think I prefer the OPs white smoke, but, I would probably play with the opacity, which would vary depending on what I use the smoke for.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Cool little tute, but as nitenurse has already mentioned, you only get a lot of smoke after a candle has gone out and it's not white. I will use the white smoke effect for where it is needed and a blue ish smoke for other effects. Nicely written and worth a rep point for sure. B)

BREtKQW.png

Thanks for all the positive feedback they really help.  :D

Here's my sig.(Click it now!)

AeEEeGO.png

Hi, it's me. I like experimenting with PDN to make really cool effects. I also like to

code in HTML and Lua. I like PC games and making youtube videos to show

my friends. Nice meeting you! See you later.

I hope you don't mind me saying then, that the sentence, "Another try at the effect but this time with bullet holes" would look nicer as a smaller font size. On my screen, the current font size of that sentence has kicked the word "holes" onto the next line, which is causing the word to fight with the image, which is making things look a little odd.

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Thanks for all the positive feedback they really help.  :D

Good job on the quick resize.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Simple and effective! ok.gif

I've used other methods to render smoke, but this one gives the smoke a more wispy look. Quite appealing to play with! :)

Ammo bays depleted and muzzles hot during the battle, all PdN (including the aircraft, from the times when I was exploring the possibilities of the Shape3D plugin):

AAG-1_puffing_smoke_from_weapons.jpg

@FotoFactory! Awesome effect. Well thank you for his.  lgxmsxb8.gif

damt8qyt.png

• Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

Thank you very much, it is so simple and understandable! I decided to make different pictures and effects not so long ago, and here I found so many useful tutorials and advices! You are very big attaboy! Recently I’ve tried to achieve such effect with collage maker, but I see the difference.

Thanks a lot for the alternative, xmario! Although I speak no Russian, the pics are pretty clear (and I helped myself a bit with a translator). Plus, it's always good to have different alternatives producing a variety of results :):beer:

Hello everyone!

This is my first post (I looked to see if there was a requirement to make a formal introduction to the forum but I couldn't find anything).

Anyhow, since I like following tutorials in my free time I thought I would show the results of one as a way to introduce myself.

Please let me know if I've made a faux pas.

PS: Nice tutorial, FotoFactory!

UHWM0kB.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hey AgentGoodSpeed!  Welcome aboard.  Nice job of that smoke.

(you know it was Col Mustard in the Library with the Candlestick don't you ;) )

Thank you, EER!

Are you sure Ms. Scarlet didn't have anything to do with it? There are rumors…

I love doing these tutorials; they spur me to improve my book covers. Did one today which is probably among my better ones. Perhaps one day I'll share