How to Install Plugins ×

'PostScript' FileType Plugin (.PS, .EPS, .AI)

midora

'PostScript' FileType Plugin (.PS, .EPS, .AI)

Summary

Imports .PS (PostScript) , .EPS (Encapsulated PostScript), and .AI (Adobe Illustrator) files and renders them to Paint.NET bitmap layers. This plugin requires that Ghostscript is installed. Ghostscript is used to render the vector graphics to bitmap layers. Sometimes the rendering of a layer takes a long time (especially for high resolution).
Be patient 😉

Author

Martin Osieka

Download >> ImPS,EPS,AI.Open.FileType v1.0.zip Edit by Rick: @midora needs to update the installation instructions in the README. Download link removed for now.

Installation

Follow the instructions carefully

• Install Ghostscript: 64-bit or 32-bit
    The plugin has been tested with Ghostscript 9.10. If Paint.NET is running as an 64bit application then you have to install "Ghostscript for Windows (64 bit)" else the 32bit version.
    The plugin identifies the installed ghostscript version via the registry.
    If you are using the plugin w/o Ghostscript a messagebox will popup telling you that Ghostscript is required.
  • Copy the two files OptionBasedLibrary vX.X.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\FileTypes\ folder
  • Copy the two files 'ImPS,EPS,AI.Open.FileType.dll/dlc' to the Paint.NET\FileTypes\ folder
  • Do not remove older versions of the OptionBasedLibrary if they are required from other plugins.

To verify the installation you should restart Paint.NET and check that in the filetype popup of the open file selector dialog are entries starting with PS. EPS, and AI.

Compatibility

Paint.NET 3.5.11 and 4.0+

Supported languages

The language used in the plugin depends on the language setting of Paint.NET and the support of this language by the plugin. The fallback is the first supported language of the plugin. Languages are defined in the .dlc files. This plugin supports the following languages in the moment:

• English
  • Deutsch

Dialog options

tbd

Known issues

None

Examples

None

History

• 1.0 (15.3.2014)
    - First public release
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

midoras signature.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone have a copy of v1.1 zipped? Thanks.

Many thanks AndrewDavid. I'll attach it later today.

• 1 year later...

Yes, sorry. The fact is this extension requires the installation of plugins (OptionsBasedLibrary) in the main Paint.Net\ folder, not only the pasting the .dll and .dlc in /FileType.
If I'm not mistaken the guide doesn't seem to cover this case for the store app.

Edited by Alexandros93

1 hour ago, Alexandros93 said:

The fact is this extension requires the installation of plugins (OptionsBasedLibrary) in the main Paint.Net\ folder ...

You can place the OptionsBasedLibrary into the FileTypes directory, regardless of what the instructions say.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I did all the things you said; however, I'm getting the following message every time I want to open an ai file:

Application version: paint.net 4.1.6

System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

at OptionBasedFileTypes.OpenFileType.OnLoad(Stream input)

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

31 minutes ago, arashadmin said:

I did all the things you said; however, I'm getting the following message every time I want to open an ai file:

Can you try installing a slightly older version of GhostScript?

https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/ghostpdl-downloads/releases/download/gs926/gs926aw64.exe

or if you need 32 bit:

https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/ghostpdl-downloads/releases/download/gs926/gs926aw32.exe

Let us know how it goes.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

• 3 months later...
On 5/8/2019 at 4:07 AM, toe_head2001 said:

Can you try installing a slightly older version of GhostScript?

https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/ghostpdl-downloads/releases/download/gs926/gs926aw64.exe

or if you need 32 bit:

https://github.com/ArtifexSoftware/ghostpdl-downloads/releases/download/gs926/gs926aw32.exe

Let us know how it goes.

Just wanted to tell you that the older version of GhostScript you linked for us to use (v 9.26) worked vs the newer version on their site(v9.27) as I had the same issue as user "arashadmin"

Cheers

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, David007 said:

please help! when i'm trying to open file i have this error.

Really, you can't read the last few posts right above your own? Please take some more initiative next time.

Anyways, this plugins uses the Ghostscript.NET library to interoperate with  Ghostscript. Unfortunately, Ghostscript.NET is not fully compatible with the newest release of Ghostscript. You can see the relevant bug report here: https://github.com/jhabjan/Ghostscript.NET/issues/62

As a work-around, simply install Ghostscript v9.26.

bp-sig.png

14 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Really, you can't read the last few posts right above your own? Please take some more initiative next time.

Anyways, this plugins uses the Ghostscript.NET library to interoperate with  Ghostscript. Unfortunately, Ghostscript.NET is not fully compatible with the newest release of Ghostscript. You can see the relevant bug report here: https://github.com/jhabjan/Ghostscript.NET/issues/62

As a work-around, simply install Ghostscript v9.26.

I've installed many versions of Ghostscript (even 8th) but it doesn't work :(

• 6 months later...