How to Install Plugins ×

Transparency Adjustment Effect (Plugin)

BoltBait

I've see something like this before. You may not be able to save a file in that directory, even though you are an administrator, because you are not the owner of the directory. If you can take ownership of the directory, you should have no problems storing there.

The security on my home system says the same thing...I can't save directly to the Effects folder.

I simply save it to the desktop, and then move it into the effects folder manually

Try that, it should work

Open the folder and drag it over manually.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I had already tried that and I got a message saying "this type of image can not be opened in this program" I thought I was doing it wrong... Before I get that message it asks me if I want to move it to this folder, I click yes then it says this image can not be opened in this program.... Any ideas

You're trying to drag it into the program. Don't do that. Drag it into the folder itself.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

from your desktop, double-click "My Computer"

double-click your "C:\" drive

double-click "Program Files"

double-click the "Paint.NET" folder

double-click the "Effects" folder

you are now inside the effects folder within Paint.NET...drag the .dll file which you saved earlier on your desktop to this folder.

I left clicked on the transparency icon and drug it on top of the paint.net icon, then I depredded the mouse button. I waited a minute and then opened paint.net, went into effects and everything was the same.... still no transparency...

No. Not onto the Paint.NET icon. INTO THE FOLDER. Please read more carefully what he typed.

Also, have you unblocked it as explained here: http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install

I had already unblocked it earlier. I was in the middle of typing my post and feeding the kids all at the same time so by the time I posted my last post Curmudgeon had posted his instructions. It had not been posted when I started to type. I just got my first computer in Dec. I have never had any computer classes so EVERYTHING is new to me. I thought that the icon on the desktop WAS the folder... Now I am going to try to follow his instructions...

Yay!!!!! I did it!!! Thank you for all your help. Now I am going to go in and try to use my new effect!!! :P I alreay noticed that... I investigated to see if it was there. THANKS!!!

Yay!!!!! I did it!!! Thank you for all your help. Now I am going to go in and try to use my new effect!!! :P I alreay noticed that... I investigated to see if it was there. THANKS!!!

:)

congrats, and you're welcome

I had already unblocked it earlier. I was in the middle of typing my post and feeding the kids all at the same time so by the time I posted my last post Curmudgeon had posted his instructions. It had not been posted when I started to type. I just got my first computer in Dec. I have never had any computer classes so EVERYTHING is new to me. I thought that the icon on the desktop WAS the folder... Now I am going to try to follow his instructions...

I'm sorry if you took my comment to be mean-spirited or angry in any way. The capitalization was for emphasis, not frustration. :-) Glad everything worked out.

Nope, that's not why. :-) Look here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6270

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

@BoltBait, thank you for making this plugin. I find it useful for the same reasons you mention in your initial post.

I do have a request. Since I have come to depend on this plugin at home, I decided to download it to my Paint.Net at work. However, once I found this topic, to download the plugin I was redirected to another topic were I could download the Transparency plugin as part of a pack of about a dozen plugins. As I only wanted the Transparency plugin, I searched and finally found your site where I could download just the Transparency plugin. I hope you will consider editing your initial post, stating for those that only want the Transparency plugin, they can download it from: http://boltbait.googlepages.com/transparency. I believe this would be helpful to many and there doesn't appear to be a downside.

Vince, I don't recommend doing that.

Just download the plugin pack and take the single DLL out of the zip file and install that.

I don't put all of my effects into the same DLL like other plugin authors. I do this for the exact reason you stated--so that you can choose exactly which of my effects you want.

Anyway, the point is, the most current version of the transparency plugin is in the plugin pack. Go get that one.