Having some trouble with Paintbrush and the Custom Brush Plugin

I'm BRAND new here (just downloaded the program a few hours ago,) so please don't give me too hard of a time. :D I would like to say that I have read the FAQ and Help sections, and searched the forums but found no answers. I am running the latest version and using Windows 8 on a laptop.

* First, I've been trying to figure out a way to "turn on" the brush pressure, but I can't find anything on the forums or program. Is there a brush pressure feature?

* Second, I thought maybe I just needed a smoother brush (which, if there is another way to make the brush lines not look so "blocky", please let me know,) so I looked up the tutorials for using custom brushes. (Linked for reference.)

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/12292-draw-with-photoshop-brushes/

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/18959-how-to-use-custombrushesmini-v19/?hl=brushes - The last reply on this one asked a similar question, but was never answered from what I could see.

So, I downloaded the plugin, extracted the files and placed the .dll files in Paint.Net > Effects. I re-opened the program, but can't find the plugin anywhere. The tutorial says to open Effects > Tools > Custom Brushes Mini, but there is no Tools link in Effects. The only link I could find that was close was at Help > Plugin, and no new boxes popped up on the window or in the tools section. Am I supposed to do something besides just extract and move the files?

* And lastly, without checking to see if the plugin even worked first, I tried to go ahead and download a brush from the "Share Your Custom Brushes" thread. I had already downloaded abrViewer, which works fine, but there was never a Documents > Paint.NET User Files > Custom Brushes folder created. I would have tried to create it myself, but the person linked in the thread above said that they had already tried that to no avail. I'm sure it will create itself once I get the plugin installed correctly, but just adding it in just in case.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Hey PNgirl13 - welcome to the forum :)

1. There is no brush pressure in Paint.NET 3.5.11, but....

2. In the beta version of 4.0 you'll find a Softness setting for the brush tool which allows you to customize the strength of the brush. This might be a solution to the first point.

3. Please ask this question in the Custom Brush plugin thread. That way we keep all the discussion about the plugin together in one place :)

These questions are better directed at the general userbase and not the developer/troubleshooters of Paint.NET. I'll move this thread to the Paint.NET Discussion & Questions section.

Also with regard to #1, tablet pressure sensitivity is something that could see a reappearance in an upcoming release.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Also with regard to #1, tablet pressure sensitivity is something that could see a reappearance in an upcoming release.

biggrin.gif     Music to my ears!

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Here's something I'd like to see along with brush-based soft painting, and that is: brush-based soft erasing. Not sure if that's a feature or not of the PDN 4.0 brush tool as I haven't tried the beta out yet, but, it kind of seems obvious to me to have it if there ain't one -- seems like it would be easy to implement as well.

----- sELFiNDUCEDcOMA.com

... brush-based soft erasing.

The Eraser takes it's alpha setting from the Primary color. You can set the Primary Alpha value to something really low (1,2 or 3 works well) in the extended Color Window. Using the Eraser with a low Alpha give you.... a soft eraser ;)

Hey PNgirl13 - welcome to the forum :)

1. There is no brush pressure in Paint.NET 3.5.11, but....

2. In the beta version of 4.0 you'll find a Softness setting for the brush tool which allows you to customize the strength of the brush. This might be a solution to the first point.

3. Please ask this question in the Custom Brush plugin thread. That way we keep all the discussion about the plugin together in one place :)

These questions are better directed at the general userbase and not the developer/troubleshooters of Paint.NET. I'll move this thread to the Paint.NET Discussion & Questions section.

Thanks for the help! And, sorry ... didn't want to revive an old thread. lol