paint.net 4.0 beta build 5152 is now available

Rick Brewster

Does Edit -> Paste into New Image (Ctrl + Alt + V) work?

Yup, that appears to work just fine for me, no crash.  Same with basic Paste or Paste into New Layer.  Only by opening the New dialog and then doing something like typing a number into one of the boxes, clicking an up/down arrow, clicking on a dropdown box, or the Cancel button.  Curiously, clicking the OK button causes no crash, but successfully creates a new image with the correct dimensions.

Found a pretty annoying crash bug, surprised nobody else would have encountered this.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new layer
  2. Uncheck that layers visibility
  3. Move around the picture in the first layer
  4. Recheck visibility in the second layer
  5. Move around the picture in the first layer again
  6. Repeatedly undo. You'll crash as soon as you try to undo the action from step 3

It's worked every single time I've tried it.

Whoa, that's pretty great. Nice move with toolbar and menu realignment. Am yet to experiment enough with new way non-brush tools work, but paint bucket already proves very useful for colouring or recolouring images.

Two requests though:

1. Make it so it's possible to cycle through different tools with keyboard shortcuts (O+digit?).
    I'm periodically using Paint.net on a Windows 8 powered tablet, and tapping UI buttons can be challenging.
    Precision is resolved by using a third-party tool to add properly sized touch buttons that emulate keystrokes on active window, but with some of tools no longer accessible through keyboard shortcuts using this becomes more problematic.
  2. Make point count in bezier curves and splines adjustable. This should be quite simple to do, and make a good of use, since it's not always 4-point curves that are needed.

o.png_.png_.gif

• Make it so it's possible to cycle through different tools with keyboard shortcuts (O+digit?).

I'm periodically using Paint.net on a Windows 8 powered tablet, and tapping UI buttons can be challenging.

Precision is resolved by using a third-party tool to add properly sized touch buttons that emulate keystrokes on active window, but with some of tools no longer accessible through keyboard shortcuts using this becomes more problematic.

All the tools already have keyboard shortcuts. If multiple tools share the same shortcut (like S for all the selection tools), pressing the key again will cycle through them.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

All the tools already have keyboard shortcuts. If multiple tools share the same shortcut (like S for all the selection tools), pressing the key again will cycle through them.

Well that's the thing - it no longer works like that. While primitives used to be separate tools, it did. Now that they are joined into a single one, it doesn't switch between types anymore.

Update:

Also take this crashlog - I was just trying to select some pixels to narrow down area to adjust alpha in, and then... the semicommon "Paint.net encountered an error. Would you like to restart it or not?". Knowing that I'm going to loose 15 minutes worth of mouse selection work, I click no. And it crashes completely . Kind of embarrassing, isn't it.

Edited by YellowAfterlife

o.png_.png_.gif

I might be missing something, but if not, what do you think about writing up something like a "what's new in 4.0" at a user level?  We see the alpha/beta what's changed lists, but those are only release to release and include bugs and very detailed features. 

For example, I know about the paint bucket anchor moving feature, but that's only because I saw a blog post you wrote a year or so ago; that's the level of feature I'd like to see listed... I'm not a super pro so I'm sure some features would be lost on me, but it'd still be worth it (and probably expose me to some cool features I never would have known about otherwise).

If I'm just missing something you've already done, ... thanks!

Also, am I remembering right that the right mouse button in the color palette used to set the secondary color? It makes sense to me because of tools like paint, where left mouse does primary color and right mouse does secondary color.  But it seems that to set the secondary color you have to either change the combo box or swap them and swap back later.  Seems sub-optimally usable, thus not paint.net-like...

Rob

Yes, I'm planning on writing up what all the new features are, just like I did for the big 3.0 and 3.5 releases (see: http://www.getpaint.net/roadmap.html )

And yes, you used to be able to use the right mouse button to set the secondary color in the earlier alphas. Unfortunately, that code broke some other stuff that was more important so I removed it. I'm still contemplating if I'll add it back in, or if I'll wait until after 4.0 (e.g. 4.0.1 or 4.1 or something).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Hello Rick

I've recently filed a set of minor bugs on one of the alpha releases but had no reply from you. Please confirm you have filed a bug on them.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27756-paintnet-40-alpha-build-5105-is-now-available/?p=403042

I could fix them myself if I could make some sort of pull request upon your source code. Do you plan to make at least translations to other languages open-source e.g. at github, bitbucket or codeplex?

Thanks.

P.S. I've clicked around the new beta and noticed more funny but absolutely wrong translations into Russian. Please tell how to contribute to fix them.

Edited by sompylasar

P.S. I've clicked around the new beta and noticed more funny but absolutely wrong translations into Russian. Please tell how to contribute to fix them.

You can contribute to the official translations via crowdin.net.

Details here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27847-official-translations-for-40-via-crowdinnet/

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I would also quite like an update or response on things I reported and asked about.

One other thing spotted is, that, if using Paint.net on touch screen enabled device, painting becomes more than very problematic if zoomed in (till there are scrollbars) - half of time device recognizes brush stroke as a swipe, and scrolls the image instead.

A plain "won't do/won't fix" also works, so I'd know that I should start developing a plugin or toolset instead of blindly waiting.

Edited by YellowAfterlife

o.png_.png_.gif