paint.net 4.0 alpha build 5105 is now available

Rick Brewster

Bug report ... a reminder of above posts 47/49 (as you didn't comment on any of them about this issue)

When you make a "selection", "move and resize the selection" and then do a "Crop to Selection", an extra pixel is sometimes added to the width and height, sometimes at bottom/right, sometimes at top/left.  (to the attached image it was added at top/left)

The selection size was 899 x 474 before "cropping" and after the image became 900 x 475

And this happens no matter if I have hardware accelarator on or off.

post-131042-0-22440000-1389522596_thumb.

Hope this helps. It clearly shows that the sides and angles are not equal for the Pentagon, Hexagon, and Triangle when using "Constrain"  to create shapes in paint.net. The same is true for the stars.

While waiting for a fix, you can always use the Effects > Render > Polygon/Stars plugin in my pack.

Hope this helps. It clearly shows that the sides and angles are not equal for the Pentagon, Hexagon, and Triangle when using "Constrain"  to create shapes in paint.net. The same is true for the stars.

Thanks. That makes way more sense with pictures!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Bug report ... a reminder of above posts 47/49 (as you didn't comment on any of them about this issue)

When you make a "selection", "move and resize the selection" and then do a "Crop to Selection", an extra pixel is sometimes added to the width and height, sometimes at bottom/right, sometimes at top/left.  (to the attached image it was added at top/left)

The selection size was 899 x 474 before "cropping" and after the image became 900 x 475

And this happens no matter if I have hardware accelarator on or off.

Can you provide me with very specific "dummy proof" instructions so that I can reproduce this? This is actually a class of bugs that I've been steadily implementing fixes for. It's become harder and harder to make this happen with each update, which is good, but it also means it's harder for me to come up with ways to make it happen unless you give me very specific/clear instructions on how to reproduce it. (pretend you're giving instructions for someone who doesn't know hardly anything about paint.net ... also, a video would work very well here)

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Can you provide me with very specific "dummy proof" instructions so that I can reproduce this? This is actually a class of bugs that I've been steadily implementing fixes for. It's become harder and harder to make this happen with each update, which is good, but it also means it's harder for me to come up with ways to make it happen unless you give me very specific/clear instructions on how to reproduce it. (pretend you're giving instructions for someone who doesn't know hardly anything about paint.net ... also, a video would work very well here)

This issue doesn't happen every time but as a developer myself, so I'm sure it is a calc operation that miscount when rounding an odd/even number of the selection area/selection rectangle.

If it doesn't happen at first "Crop to Selection", just undo the cropping, move and resize the "selection area" one more time and then make a new "Crop to Selection".

I needed to repeat step 8-10 3 times before I was able to re-produce the issue.

Steps to re-produce extra pixel width/height:
1.  Have a "clear" desktop
2.  Push "Print screen" to make a snapshot of the desktop
3.  Start Paint.net
4.  Select "Edit" / "Paste as New Image"
5.  Select "Tool" / "Rectange Select"
6.  Make a selection in the middle of the image, ~ 750 x 500 pixel large
7.  Select "Tool" / "Move Selection"
8.  Move the "selection area" slighty up to the left
9.  Resize the "selection area" with the lower right "handle", to e.g. 903 x 597 pixel
10. Select "Image" / "Crop to Selection"

Now the newly cropped image size should be e.g. 903 x 597, but it is 1 pixel wider and/or higher.

The pixel grid always goes away when switching between two different images.  And since there's no keyboard shortcut, it's been a bit of a burden having to re-enable it frequently.

• Open or create two images, and zoom into both 400%.
  • While viewing the first image, turn on the pixel grid from the view menu.
  • View the second image by selecting the thumbnail at the top.
  • Now go back to the first image by selecting its thumbnail.
  • Pixel grid is turned off.

I cannot reproduce this. Everything works fine.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Several Russian translation bugs:

• "Delete layer" in the history should be translated as "Удаление слоя", not "Уделение слоя".
  • "Background" layer should be translated as "Фон", not "Справочная информация".
  • Settings > Updates: "Также проверьте наличие бета-версиями paint.net" should be "Также проверять наличие бета-версий paint.net"
  • Settings > Diagnostics: the property sheet columns "Item", "Value" are not translated.
  • Settings: "User Interface" in Russian is "Пользовательский интерфейс" which is too long for the fixed-width menu; better replace with just "Интерфейс" (that is how VLC player translates "UI settings" in its menus).
  • Settings > Diagnostics: "Open crash log folder" should be translated as "Открыть папку журнала падений" or "Открыть папку журнала ошибок", not "Папка журнала открытые краш".

Plus, confirming the mentioned bug for any non-English initial language:

I selected the UI language "Chinese" during installation. It's weird that the UI is Chinese but it's English in setting dialog. And if I select to Chinese, it will require me to restart the PAINT.NET. And if I select English, nothing would happen.

Thanks for the best free Photoshop replacement!

Edited by sompylasar

Borderline bug/feature request:  Horizontal scroll wheel doesn't seem to be recognized.  I'm using a trackpad that supports two-finger dragging to simulate the mouse wheel, but paint.net only recognizes vertical movement.  Other applications like Firefox or Windows Explorer will honor both vertical and horizontal movement as expected, so the drivers seem to be functioning correctly.  I don't have a mouse/trackball device with a physical horizontal scroll wheel to test with, though.

Borderline bug/feature request:  Horizontal scroll wheel doesn't seem to be recognized.  I'm using a trackpad that supports two-finger dragging to simulate the mouse wheel, but paint.net only recognizes vertical movement.  Other applications like Firefox or Windows Explorer will honor both vertical and horizontal movement as expected, so the drivers seem to be functioning correctly.  I don't have a mouse/trackball device with a physical horizontal scroll wheel to test with, though.

Try holding down the Shift key when vertical scrolling.

Typically trackpads do not simulate a MouseWheel command instead they are sending scroll commands to the scrollbars of the window below the mouse pointer. And quite often this depends on a whitelist in the trackpad driver. So if it works in one application then this does not mean that it works in an other.

BTW: As far as I know Windows does not support a direction in the mouse wheel message. The application decides on its own if the message is used for a vertical or horizontal scroll or for a complete different action.

I had to add some commands to my Synaptics trackpad to allow two finger zoom in and out in Paint.NET (these commands simulate a mousewheel command together with a pressed control key).

midoras signature.gif

Some of them might have already been reported, others might not even be bugs but I decided to write them down anyways.

•  The position of the Tools, Layers, Colors and History windows is reset on each startup. In version 3 they used the position they were on when the program was closed.

• Making a rectangular selection and scaling it down results in a pixelated image. Resizing from Image->Resize does not have the same result. Image

• The anti-aliasing of the paint bucket acts differently based on the type of selection. On the image below the first shape was made with the magic wand and has no anti-aliasing after filling it up with the paint bucket, second shape was made with the lasso select and has tiny traces of anti-aliasing. Some selections made with the lasso have a reasonable amount of anti-aliasing, like the one on the top right. The ellipse select always has perfect anti-aliasing (bottom right). Image

• Making a rectangular selection, rotating it, filling it up with the paint bucket and then moving it leaves a border behind. Image

I am only an occassional user of this great program as I only need to do anything with an image occassionally.  I started with the original Photoshop way back when I could actually do things...

I am an old retired person that can't remember all those keyboard shortcuts and other things anymore. I would like to see a close button in the toolbar or maybe a toolbar customize option and a default folder save to option and default open folder option. I keep everything in the same places...

I would like to see the zoom option back on top or easier to see. I  use that a LOT....

Rick, you are a good person for doing all this and still keeping it free.

Just an old mans 2 cents worth...

Thanks...

Edited by Bubba in TX

I'm going to merge this (Sven's post) in with the build's thread.  Rick makes a new thread for every build.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Issues:

1) If latest .NET Framework is missed Paint.NET installs it. But after that installer just reboots PC without ask.

2) After reboot installer doesn't relaunch automatically. To finish the installation user should manually open the installer again.

3) Paint.NET installer removes a previous (stable!) version of program even if you chose another path.

I think it could be more responsive and friendly.

BTW: As far as I know Windows does not support a direction in the mouse wheel message. The application decides on its own if the message is used for a vertical or horizontal scroll or for a complete different action.

Ok, I have to say now that just .NET doesn't seem to support it. But Microsoft introduced WM_MOUSEHWHEEL together with a new mouse device which allows to tilt the mouse wheel (which genereates WM_MOUSEHWHEEL messages).

This article describes a possible binding by introducing OnMouseHWheel().

I found an interesting statement from MS here: "Make the mouse wheel affect the control, pane, or window that the pointer is currently over. Doing so avoids unintended results."

So w/o owning the focus all controls should handle the mouse wheel. How this can be done using an MouseWheelRedirector is described here

midoras signature.gif

Ok but did it work in v3.5? I don't have a horizontal wheel gizmo. I can't test it. If no one can answer this simple question then it's not going to get fixed no matter what.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ok but did it work in v3.5? I don't have a horizontal wheel gizmo. I can't test it. If no one can answer this simple question then it's not going to get fixed no matter what.

Turns out, no it didn't work in 3.5.  I just uninstalled 4.0 and installed 3.5.11, and nope, the trackpad's horizontal movement still doesn't produce horizontal scrolling.  BoltBait's suggestion to hold the shift key did translate vertical trackpad movement to horizontal scrolling though.

Sorry for the earlier fire-and-forget report and consequent delay in responding.

I did provide you with a "how-to" to reproduce the error a few weeks ago (post 58). Did you find the bug?

Edited by PellePenna