Community localization updates (NL, FI, PT, PL, DE)

StephanP

Please find attached the Dutch language file for pre-release 4.0.5034/5064/5086/5105/5143

Remove any previous versions of the Dutch language file (*.nl.resources) from the PdN installation folder.

Copy the file PaintDotNet.Strings.3.nl-NL.resources (in attached .zip) to the PdN installation folder.

Corrections and suggestions for improvement are most welcome.

Dutch - Nederlands

Bijgesloten treft u de Nederlandse vertaling voor pre-release 4.0.5034/5064/5086/5105/5143

Verwijder een eventuele oude versie van het Nederlandse taalbestand (*.nl.resources) uit de PdN installatiemap.

Kopieer het bestand PaintDotNet.Strings.3.nl-NL.resources (in bijgesloten .zip) naar de PdN installatiemap.

Correcties en suggesties voor verbetering zijn uitermate welkom.

Stephan

Edits:

01/02/2014 15:13 - Attachment updated for pre-release build 5143 (minor corrections)

29/12/2013 10:22 - Attachment updated for pre-release build 5105

09/12/2013 08:49 - Attachment updated (minor correction)

08/12/2013 11:10 - Attachment updated for pre-release build 5086

16/11/2013 18:48 - Dutch translation of posting added

26/10/2013 17:00 - Attachment updated

PaintDotNet.Strings.3.nl-NL.zip

Edited by StephanP

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

Where did you find new .resx files? I dug up installer, and folder after install, and also forum, but haven't found english template - could you supply me with one, or tell me where it is?

Big thanks.

Hi Guys!

Where did you find new .resx files? I dug up installer, and folder after install, and also forum, but haven't found english template - could you supply me with one, or tell me where it is?

Big thanks.

Download the attachment file.

Strings-EN.zip

Hi Guys!

Big thanks.

In the paint.net folder you can find the .resources files, and with ResGen.exe from a Windows SDK, you can decompile it into a .resx.

Simply, "Resgen.exe PaintDotNet.Strings.3.resources Strings.resx".

So just to do that tiny thing, you got to download a quite sizeable SDK :P or just find the .exe somewhere else, just beware of downloading a Valve engine tool also named Resgen.exe which you don't need.

sig.jpg.7f312affa740bae49243c4439bc4a244.jpg

If I only knew this file could be decompiled! Big thanks, and back to translating

EDIT: translation to polish is completed

EDIT2: attachement updated in next post

Edited by Skiff

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-release build 5086 appears to have received a couple of new texts.

(It would be nice if this would not have to be discovered by chance ;-)

I've updated the Dutch translation file in the first message in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

This method doesn’t work for me. It’d be great to have a central site to view, update and submit translations, based on up-to-date files.

Has anyone heard of Transifex, Crowdin, or GetLocalization? These support RESX, and one can track translation progress visually, make modifications via web-based interfaces (much more convenient), manage terminology, allow for collaboration among several users, etc.

Looks interesting.

For the Dutch translation I've got a pretty nice setup based on Zeta Resources Editor (http://zetaresourceeditor.codeplex.com/) plus a few batch files, but I can see the benefit of a collaborative community system.

Free license for open source / academic.
Do you think you'll be able to pull that off?

Account setup will have to be done centrally (by Rick c.s.)

Will it be possible to import the existing translations (NL, FI, PT, PL)?

I would not be a happy chappy having to start all over (again).

How would (new) translators apply to join in? Application procedure?

Stephan

Yeah, I’ve got accounts on Transifex (this one’s got better UI) and Crowdin, so either is fine to me. I’d like to use an online service instead of a downloadable resource editor, because I would prefer not to boot into Windows just to translate Paint.NET. But I don’t mind if you prefer not to set up a project in a l10n website — perhaps for privacy or something. What d’you think?

What kind of language contribution were you actually thinking of?

Translate Paint.NET into Spanish (and perhaps Catalan if I have enough time). Releasing software with automatic translations is an awful idea.

Releasing software with automatic translations is an awful idea.

Don't be so quick to judge so harshly. What would you prefer: shipping without translations, or shipping with machine translations? That's literally the choice I made.

• Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Don't be so quick to judge so harshly. What would you prefer: shipping without translations, or shipping with machine translations? That's literally the choice I made.

I didn’t mean to be harsh, sorry. But the truth is: unless one knows a language _well_, one can’t really judge if the automatic translation one’s shipping is _understandable_ and _appropriate_, let alone it being of good quality. You could inadvertently ship software with offensive strings (it has happened). That’s why I’d rather prefer to ship something untranslated.

To be clear: don’t interpret this as if I was attacking you or your decisions — that’s absolutely not my intention, Rick. I’m just trying to put things on perspective, but my English is not as good as I’d like it to be.

Edited by Fitoschido

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...