Cracked glass effect

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

I have and use brushes to do this, but for those who don't...here you go. Start with any image and make multiple duplicates.

crack01.jpg

You need to roll/rotate and change each one slightly different. This will take some time to get enough. The final image did not have enough for my liking, but you should get the point.

crack02.jpg

crack03.jpg

Here i made a new layer and used the random shape brush at 6 pixels and drew black as you see. You select one area with the wand, and with it still selected you you click on any of the 4 starting layers. Copy, and paste to a new layer. Use each layer for each of the 4 areas.

crack04.jpg

This is an option for each broken glass section to help sell the effect. Select the area and make a new layer. Fill that layer with a white and transparent gradient. If you do each section a little different, your outcome may be more realistic. Otherwise, you can ignore or come back to this.

crack04_option.jpg

Now you have each of your sections on layers. This is where i should have rolled each beginning image just a little more.

Each section needs some edge cleaning with AA's < no swearing >istant.

crack05.jpg

Now you select each layer and move them a bit. This makes the cracks vary is width.

crack06.jpg

Drop shadow with settings like this, or your own.

crack07.jpg

Do all sections with varying offset drop.

crack08.jpg

Cleanup each drop layer with another AA's as shown The bottom layer is the same image untouched and now seen through the crack.

crack09.jpg

Hit each layer with a light color or white as shown.

crack10.jpg

Before this final result you can darken the bottom layer, add dents, noise or or whatever you like. Now, you can also go back to the white gradient from a few images ago and add some reflection to each of the 4 areas. This will help sell the final result as more realistic if that's what you're going for. As always, change it up and have fun.

crack.jpg

• Upvote 1

You're on a roll tonight, V. Upvoted again.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.