Impressionist cloud making

Visual

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Start off with cloud plugin with white and secondary color set to transparent. Bottom layer is so you can see.

I did a gradient color so you can see it is transparent. Wand it to try and capture the whitest areas to use as highlights, and hit control I to invert selection. Copy and paste that to a new layer.

Feather the edges of the top layer to soften them. And adjust layer properties to your liking.

On the lower cloud layer i hit wand a few times to until it had some areas of the darker zones not selected, then hit control I to invert it. Cut those out. I also chose to remove some additional areas for balance with the eraser. I used AA's assistant and then applied feather.

Here i changed the background so you can better see things. You can stop at any point that you like your outcome. I chose to select all to one layer at a time and moved the bottom marker up to squeeze the clouds at the top half. Do the same amount to both cloud layers

What you have now is the clouds at the top. For a sunset type of effect add drop shadow to the bottom cloud layer with red to amber. Your choice.

I made additional adjustment with black drop shadow as shown. Finally coming to making a full range of color changes with the hue and saturation adjustments.

They are not intended to look like real high def clouds. You may get something that looks a little more realistic with using less feather and feather. Good luck and have fun.

• Upvote 3

Hey, snazzy! I like. Upvoted.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Uh oh.  Your images seem to have disappeared.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Yep.   They're back.  :-)

• 2 months later...