Backlighting effect and more tricks

Visual

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

This tutorial has a lot of images. You will end up with  something like this. I have some other things to help beginners. Frustration on how to do certain things is just part of learning.

backlit.jpg

Here we go.

You're going to make 3 layers. Always refer what is going on with the side panels. I made a large T in a dark blue on layer 2 with a bold font. Make a smaller T with a lighter blue on layer 3.

backlit_01.jpg

You need to re-size the top T to fit inside the larger one. Use square select and move bottom shape carefully in a perfect line. You can use the PDN ruler as your guide. Square select the stem and drag the center marker on the bottom downward to complete the letter again. Do this until it looks correct. You will need to repeat on the sides.

backlit_02.jpg

backlit_03.jpg

Below, you'll see that the darker blue is below the lighter blue. You can rectangle select the dark blue and stretch it lower until you get about the same amount of border as the top.

backlit_04.jpg

Select the top layer T with the wand and bevel like shown. Use AA's twice with default settings to clean it up.

backlit_05.jpg

The middle T is selected and beveled with alternate direction so it appears to sink. Again, AA's twice to clean.

backlit_06.jpg

backlit_07.jpg

To give it a plastic effect use noise with settings shown on the top T and the bottom fill layer.

backlit_08.jpg

At this point you can do a myriad of changes. Use Hue or whatever. I made it darker, but later i changed it. You'll see.

backlit_09.jpg

Here you need to duplicate the top T. You need to select the lower of the two top T's to add the glow effect as shown. This makes the back lighting effect and brings in the depth effect of separation.

backlit_10.jpg

Here is where i selected and changed the larger T to help with the glowing effect. I liked it better. You can do the same things i have done, or do what you want. Nothing is set in stone. Play around. Who's watching? If you don't like something, go back by deleting a couple of steps. Explore and have fun. Hopefully you can get some ideas that you can use.

backlit_11.jpg

Nice effect.  For the first few steps it would probably look better to type the letter, duplicate the layer, Outline Object the second layer, then magic wand and fill the original shape with the outline color.  Then you don't have to do anything manually :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I disagree.  I think that the final result just looks less polished.  Besides, you have to know what the best practices are before you can ignore them, right?  :)

• Upvote 1

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I welcome all of your negative and good comments. This was done to help those with limited ability. I could have done some elements with an expensive program to render the letters in glass or a custom texture, but that would defeat the purpose. If only one person gets better, i have done well.

Thank you, all. You succeed when you help others to become better than yourself.

Ditto what Welshblue said.  Your tutorial is fine, we were just offering ideas to make it even better.  You may want to reread rule #11. :)

But really, anyone could figure out on their own how to carve up and drag around pieces to fit one in the other; a tutorial author should give a more clever process to get to the same result.  Remember, the point of a tutorial is to teach concepts and procedures, not results.  :-)

This was intended to be a beginners help, and not for the experienced members (move it?). Not taking any insult. Welsh's try did some changes and made it appear to be something like neon. Looks good.