Ante Meridiem- Hello PDN

ante meridiem

Hi PDN Forums!

I've been a lurker for a while, using some of the tutorials. I finally decided to sign up. I've been using PDN for a few years now, and I find it quite entertaining.

http://i.imgur.com/cejarZ3.jpg (full size,1657x1415)

amclocksm.png

So...considering I missed a few shadows in the first attempt, here's the second. I changed out some of the gears so they will actually mesh, edited the colours just a hair, and, of course, added the missing shadows. I also edited the background a little. All the lines in all the textures were going to same direction.

http://i.imgur.com/fiDe7Ry.jpg (full size, 1625x1474)

i72.png

Here's a design I used for my tattoo a few months ago

a5v.png

Edited by ante meridiem
  • Upvote 1

Wow, that's really great. You've got some neat textures going on. I can see maze render used as a part that holds up the gear. Seems like this is well-thought out and not just everything thrown in. I love this!

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Wow, that's really great. You've got some neat textures going on. I can see maze render used as a part that holds up the gear. Seems like this is well-thought out and not just everything thrown in. I love this!

Thanks! I wanted something interesting for the crank bar. I would have done something like the swirls on the sun gear, but it wasn't rendering the way I hoped.

Verrry nice.  Love the use of Kaleidoscope for the 5 bar piece.  Really nice textures throughout ... although (and I'm not sure you've finished yet) it would benefit from some shadowing to give it that bit of depth like you've done in places.

Great start to your gallery and welcome to the forums

Thanks! I need to remake the entire image eventually. I want the teeth to mesh better.

Edited by ante meridiem

A really detailed image. I never thought of using random maze to make an engraved style texture, I also would not have never thought of using Kaleidoscope to create a spoke style component, very good use of plugins.  It reminds me of an image made by one of our respected members (Yellowman) If only I knew what part of the forum the image is on (abstracts perhaps?) 

I do agree with Welshblue that it needs a little shadow work to add depth, but even so, it is a stunning start. 

Welcome to the forum too :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

A great start to your gallery. I agree with has been said too on the shadow. Fabulous texture & a great composition. Welcome to the forum!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

The updated image is Really good, the depth is just right and the cog colours work perfect too, nice and shiny, great work.

The tattoo is good also, :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

I agree with Welsh that the shadow is a bit dark, but otherwise, you did a nice job. And for your second image, at first I wasn't sure what the symbol was and then I realized it was the bass clef. Doh! :)

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

A really good start to your gallery, some very detailed work gone into your cogs, Nice bass clef and a cool sig too B)

Welcome indeed. 

BREtKQW.png

Very nice work, I like the designs and the textures, I too like to play with cogs :), my phones lock screen is all cogs lol

I was reading through the comments, and would like to thank Nitenurse for referring to my image, and yes it is in the Abstract forum.

A great improvement to the shadow, but you miss it on the large cog casting form the arm, it was there at the first image, but not on the last one.

You have mentioned as something like swirls on the sun gear, do you meat as a texture?

Hmm, very nice new works. Fabulous the way you have made the cogs so intricate. I love it. I like the dark shadow too. At first, it was a bit overpowering but now, I think I like it heavy. I also loved the first background better. I'm pleased you left the previous versions up. It shows the progress & is a valuable tool for teaching others too.

Steampunk spins my wheels :P Fabulous images that I know will only get better & better. 

Great sig!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 4 weeks later...