Creating Win7 Start Orb

Hi

I am looking for a way to correctly make or modify a Windows 7 Start Orb (ex: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WWYb1nN_MQE/S2_InNLk_5I/AAAAAAAAAoc/IF5zDmBKwNA/s1600/Windows%207%20Start%20Orb%20Changer%20v3%20sample.jpg).

When I do it simply, appears a black square when I click on the Start button.

All instructions on this topic are made for Photoshop, or Gimp, but not for Paint.Net

Here is one of my own, which does not work :sad: http://i47.tinypic.com/14so60g.jpg

If anyone knows the answer please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Mellin

Hi Mellin - welcome to the forum.

I suspect that this might be due to a transparency issue (JPG's do not support transparency).  Just to be sure, can you link us to the instructions you're trying to use?

Hi, Thank you.

As I said, I found only a few instructions, and mainly for Photoshop (ex: http://www.door2windows.com/how-to-create-a-windows-7-start-orb/).

I suspected that it might be an issue of transparency, but controlling it in Paint.net and Photoshop (internet manuals) are different and I do not know what to do exactly.

In addition: I save them in bmp, not jpg (and they still not work), jpg was required by the website on which I put it.

Edited by Mellin

I remember back to xp themes. Not sure if this applies to win 7. There was a default color in the red channel that was used as the transparency and it was a bmp. You had to make sure that you used the correct settings eg 0fff23 or 125 109 45. I just made these colors up, but maybe it will help you figure it out.

I tried these two colours you have entered but they do not work.

Here 'my project, broken down into prime factors: http://www.mediafire.com/?zabxg8j0d5mw3lx

Such as it is I saves it in .bmp , I gives permission to flatten and I try to load it into the program to change the Start Orb.

The black square is still coming back. Maybe something in my project is not right... But what?

I tried these two colours you have entered but they do not work.

Here 'my project, broken down into prime factors: http://www.mediafire.com/?zabxg8j0d5mw3lx

Such as it is I saves it in .bmp , I gives permission to flatten and I try to load it into the program to change the Start Orb.

The black square is still coming back. Maybe something in my project is not right... But what?

Deleting the black layer and saving as a png should work.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Ok, I have a question for someone who knows how to edit and test alpha channel.

what is the difference between these two start orbs: http://www.mediafire.com/?zddbiatz713713k

First I downloaded from the internet and it works well.

I opened it in Paint.net and then save it unchanged (here comes version "resave") and when I try to use it, it becomes translucent and has the color of the taskbar.

For this I suspect that this is a problem with saving settings. Can someone do the same thing and see if he/she will have the same result?

The original is 32-bit the resaved 24-bit. Both are of type BI_RGB.

The MS BITMAPINFOHEADER specification defines that BI_RGB does not support in alpha channel. Some applications are using the unused bytes to store alpha values but this is unsprecified.

You may use a tool like pdn2bmp to convert a pdn file to an argb bmp.

midoras signature.gif

When I try to use this program, I encounter a problem: the file name should be "pdn2bmp /argb image.pdn" but when I try to change the name, message appears that it is not possible to use "/". What should I do?

Edited by Mellin

The checkerboard pattern in the bmp is visible in viewers which do no have an idea about transparency in BMP (like MS Windows Explorer). But maybe this orb tool expects a special color for the transparent parts (you should really ask the developers about the expected file format). But you can try to render the bmp against a color. This keeps the transparency but sets the color of these transparent pixels to your preffered color.

Black  pdn2bmp,exe /background=0x00000000 image.pdn

Whire pdn2bmp,exe /background=0xFFFFFF00 image.pdn

midoras signature.gif

Contact the developer of pdn2bmp.  This is a forum for Paint.NET and this discussion is nearing the off-topic limit.

OK, I'm sorry that it came to this. The details of using pdn2bmp I'll find somewhere else, but I go back to my original question:

Is there a specific way to do it only with Paint.net?

It seems that nobody of the forum users has an idea about the file format this orb tool requires. So we can only guess.

To ask this question again without any more information does not make sense.

midoras signature.gif

The Win7 Orb Changer supports the PNG file format which in turn supports transparency.

Try making your orb with a transparent background and save it as a PNG. Use that file as your orb.

Alright, this has gone on much too long without anyone actually picking up the tool and trying it themselves.

I just tried it multiple ways with similar results as you...

until I actually followed null54's instructions:

Deleting the black layer and saving as a png should work.

MAKE SURE YOU SAVE AS A PNG FILE!

Delete the black so that you have a transparent background, then save as a PNG image. BMP images don't support transparency, so your transparent areas will show up as the white square you've been seeing. PNG, on the other hand, will not have this issue, so save as a PNG image before you try it!

Did I mention you should save as a png image and not a bmp?

Ok, I think you get the point, now. Hope it helped! :)

Now I have to go change my own start orb...

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Wait ...
I found a way. Unfortunately, not only with Paint.net but still. Here's what I did:

1. I made a picture with size 54x162
2. I made sure that it has a transparent background (note to avoid pure black elements in the picture, replaced color 000000 with color ex 000001)
3. I save it as a PNG file
4. I used program "FormatFactory" to convert PNG file to BMP file (did not change any settings)
5. Loading a picture to Win 7 Start Orb Changer and you're done!

I hope that this method will work for everyone.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Mellin

Are you sure you downloaded the right Win 7 Start Orb Changer? Maybe you should use the "change by editing resources" option instead.

Either way, glad you worked it out!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo