Outlined & Gradient filled text

amitlevy07

Check this out:

I don't have any rights over this video! only sharing it! all credit goes to kaunas163!

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
  • Upvote 1

You should check out the rules for the tuts forum.

-5a. Don't write tutorials on something everyone can learn by fiddling with effects. If it just takes a couple clicks, don't post it.
6. Please don't be in a rush to write tutorials. As a rule of thumb, if you have very few posts (i.e. only a few dozen), think twice before posting a tutorial. As BoltBait famously wrote, "Noobs should be reading tutorials, not writing them." Stick around and learn more before trying to teach; Paint.NET is far more powerful than you think! Start posting your work in the Pictorium, and if your work really wows us, many users will ask you for a tutorial.
-6a. Keep in mind, even if you're not a newbie with Paint.NET but are a newbie to this forum, this rule still applies. As a newbie to the forum, you don't know what's new, what's old, what's been done to death, and what we'll make fun of. Stick around a little bit, learn about how this forum works, and then you might have people asking for a tut.

I'm sure the mods will agree with me, that this does not merit a tutorial. Posting this on YouTube is fine, but it's too simple for this forum (Rule 5a.).

I'm sure the mods will agree with me, that this does not merit a tutorial.

Nope. I like this. It's well explained and thought out. Yes we have lots of very similar stuff but I think it is worthy.

I do like the use of Levels to create a mask for the letter selection. Nice touch.

Improvements/comments:

1. Mention that Outline Object and Drop Shadow are plugins that need to be installed as extras.

2. Place the letters on their own layer following Drop Shadow step. This would do away with the need to select the character - just select the whole layer. Performing this step would allow you to later play with the overlapping by adjusting the layer hierarchy.

3. Never delete a layer until the whole project has been saved as a *.pdn. Simply deselect the Visible checkbox in the Layers window to hide the layer.

That's nice of you to apologize Daniels.  Looking forward to your result.

I don't believe the poster was trying to take the credit for the video. However I think its less than polite not to credit the video author if it is not yourself. I would like to make it clear who is the author of the video and therefore this tutorial.

I would be happy to close this thread if kaunas163 would like to repost their video link under their own username.

That is my video, I hope creator of the topic don't try to take credit for it.  :|

Really sorry! I just wanted to share it because I saw you shared none of your videos, and ones I saw people think this is my video I couldn't see how to delete it! If you know how to delete posts, tell me how and I will! in the meantime I will try to find a tutorial on how to edit this post so I can write that I did not create this work and all credit goes to you.  

I don't believe the poster was trying to take the credit for the video. However I think its less than polite not to credit the video author if it is not yourself. I would like to make it clear who is the author of the video and therefore this tutorial.

I would be happy to close this thread if kaunas163 would like to repost their video link under their own username.

Sorry! I gave credit now and sending a reply to  kaunas163, thanks for not deleting this post, but if you have a way to change the "started by amitlevy07" to kaunas163...

Thanks for making that change.  I'll leave any further decision on the tutorial up to kaunas163.

I've renamed this thread so the title gives some indication of the tutorial content.

• 2 months later...

Here's the outcome...with a few changes (due to not having the plugins mentioned in the tutorial.)

WAITING..._RESIZE.png

I got inspired by another piece I've seen in the Pictorium.

Edit: Thanks, kaunas163. :]

Edited by Beta0
Re-linking images

(Please, be careful. Some of the sites I'm on might not be family-friendly. 😱 )

• 7 months later...

Everything is ok :) Thanks for sharing my video :) I haven't shared any of my videos, because I think that in this forum I should write everything down and don't do the simplier way - post a video, so this is why I'm not posting anything :D And I'm not angry on you or something, don't be afraid of me :D

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry, I think I'm a little too slow. I didn't understand anything at all. Well it doesn't help when you're deaf either. I tried following the video, but it was too much to absorb. It looks great though I have to say.

Edited by ScifiGirl

NewCatesiggy_zps1bc90d52.jpg

"Geek is me"

There's a closed-caption button in the youtube screen at the bottom right (it's the one with "cc" on it to the left of the gear)

It isn't perfect, so if you need more help, let me know and I'll find some time to type out some instructions for you.

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I think my browser is wonko, wouldn't work for me, the CC thing. That would be awesome if you could, I would be so grateful :)

"Geek is me"

Here's what I've got:

Hidden Content:
Part 1: Prepping the environment
1. Add a new layer
2. Turn off the visibility of the background layer
3. Go to image>canvas size (hotkey: ctrl+shift+r) and increase the image width. The video suggests 2000 pixels, but it depends on the length of your word/phrase

Part 2: The text
1. Add text with the text tool. Make sure you put a space between each character.
2. Pull out your magic wand selection tool and set tolerance to 60-69% and, holding shift, click on a letter.
3. Pick a primary and secondary color for your gradient, then, again holding shift, click and drag from the top of a letter to the bottom.
4. Deselect (hotkey: ctrl+d or esc or enter)

Part 3: Effects
1. Run pyrochild's Outline Object plugin (Effects>Object>Outline Object). Set the color to white, width to 10, and softness to around 240.
2. Run the Drop Shadow plugin (Effects>Object>Drop Shadow). Set the widening radius to 1, blur radius to 1 or 2, and shadow color to black (or gray).

Part 4: Moving the letters
Before we continue, I'd like to apologize to kaunas163, as I'm going to make some changes to this part. The method used in the video leaves pixelated transparent outlines around the letters where they overlap which I'm going to guess wasn't the intent.
1. Add two new layers
2. Select your first letter using the rectangle selection tool, cut (ctrl+x) and paste (ctrl+v) it onto the bottom new layer. Move it around as you please (right click and drag to rotate)
3. Select the next letter and cut and paste it to the top new layer, again moving it as you see fit.
4. Merge the top layer down
5. Add a new layer
6. Repeat steps 3-5 on the remaining letters.

Done!

I tried to keep things in same order as the video so hopefully you can follow along there. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Yes!!!!!!!!! this looks way betterer :D

tempsig2_zpsc7472d24.jpg

not quite as complicated either, I found a couple of short cuts :)

now all I have to do is perfect my cutting out procedures Lol.....

Edited by ScifiGirl

"Geek is me"

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Outlined & Gradient filled text