Sign in to follow this  
Ego Eram Reputo

Forum links & Member links - a posting guide

Ego Eram Reputo    1,684

With the recent upgrade of the forum software we have had a few little improvements.  I though I'd detail these to explain what I've recently learned.

Linking to forum topics

There are three main ways to do this:

1. Copy the thread or topic URL from your browser address bar & paste it into the post you're creating.  This creates a link like this http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/15260-plugin-index/

2. You can also link to an individual post within a thread.  To use this form of link, find the post then look for the post number at the top right (Its preceded by a # tag) and might look like #3 for the third post in a thread.  Right click the post number and select the option to "Copy Link Address".  Post this link directly into your post.  One of these links looks like this  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/15260-plugin-index/#entry252081  (4th post in the Plugin Index thread).

3. Use the topic tag.  This form is neat way to link if you already know the topic number (you can find it in the browser address bar).  To use this form of link

• Start with a left square bracket
  • type the words topic=
  • type in the topic number 12345
  • close the tag with the right square bracket.  
  • Type in some text - this will be the clickable link
  • left/open square bracket
  • type in /topic
  • right/close square bracket.

Done.  Example (using curly brackets in place of square to avoid the forum formatting)  {topic=15260}Plugin Index{/topic}  = Plugin Index

The change here is that you no longer need to enclose the topic number in speech marks (which will still work).  I use this form extensively as I have a list of thread titles and topic numbers that I often link to.  It's nice and quick and you only have to remember or record the actual topic number to find it again.

Posting Member links

These are neat ways to give the reader of your post a way to seek more information on a member mentioned.  Hover over this little gem to see it in action>> @BoltBait   Clicking the link will take you to the Member's profile page.

Make one of these yourself by 

• Start with a left square bracket
  • type the words member=
  • type in the member's username BoltBait
  • close the tag with the right square bracket.  

Example (using curly brackets in place of square to avoid the forum formatting) {member=BoltBait}.  Speech marks are no longer required when using this tag either.

You may now go forth and post links :)

For a full run-down of the forum tags, see this article: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=legends&do=bbcode  (thanks to null54 for pointing this out)

pdnnoob    257

Aha. I quoted one of your posts and saw some of these odd link, so I went through a few more to see how its done...

Good to know! (Should be stickied imo)

Ego Eram Reputo    1,684

@pdnnoob, barbieq25, DrewDale - I'll let the other Mods decide that:)

Thanks for the link null54. I might add the Post and Snapback tags - which I don't tend to use, others might.