PDNAnimator (posts split from another thread)

yellowman

PDNAnimatoris developed by midora, and it is so useful animation tool for PDN.

@ talon1, have you tried PDNAnimator by midora?

I am sorry, can't find a link to it in this forum, but you can download it from here

It is a standalone application, what I do is just drag and drop in it the PDN or a GIF file and export it as APNG.

I think the plugin is not officially been released yet, but you can try it.

Edited by yellowman

I doubt it can be fixed easily as I tried to save the image and crop it using Benetton Movie Maker to see if it could be done, it opens as 1 single frame no matter which extension is used including gif. Hopefully someone can help figure out a way Talon, good luck! :D

Thanks for taking the time!

@ talon1, have you tried PDNAnimator by midora?

I am sorry, can't find a link to it in this forum, but you can download it from here

It is a standalone application, what I do is just drag and drop in it the PDN or a GIF file and export it as APNG.

I think the plugin is not officially been released yet, but you can try it.

Nice, its a start. I'll give it a try and report back soon. Thanks!

@yellowman: It works!!!

I just have to save the animation as PDN, export it to the PDNanimator, save it as apng there and done! Its a very tiny inconvenience, but I'm willing, so long as I get to use paint.net! Thanks to everyone who responded and thanks again yellowman!

Edited by talon1

Thanks Midora!

When are you going to release this tool officially?

Still not happy with the quantization of colors required to generate gifs.

This is somehow a show stopper in the moment.

Sometimes it is better to do something different inbetween...

midoras signature.gif

And what's about a thank you to the guy who did the tool? ;-)

Thanks Midora!!

Since I have you here, I need a bit of assisstance. Is there a way to open a pdn, save as apng while being able to set a custom frame rate? Ive only seen the option for preset frame rates. Excellent tool btw, very useful.

Thanks Midora!!

Since I have you here, I need a bit of assisstance. Is there a way to open a pdn, save as apng while being able to set a custom frame rate? Ive only seen the option for preset frame rates. Excellent tool btw, very useful.

See the help entry in the application. The timing and other attributes are controlled via the layer names.

midoras signature.gif

@ midora, I am not sure if we should start a new thread to discussing your great plugin the PDNanimator, or just continue it in another place, so we don't spam Simon 's thread and confuse people between the two?

No I'm sure we should do this. I guess I stated this earlier. Would be nice if a moderator could propose a solution or open such a thread at the right place. There is then the possibility always to add a link here to the new thread.

midoras signature.gif

Done.  How about introducing PDNAnimator so we can all see what the fuss is about? :lol:

Thanks for taking the time to sort it out.

Done.  How about introducing PDNAnimator so we can all see what the fuss is about? :lol:

Well, in the moment it should be enough to copy the about from the webpage. I'm also thinking about a way to integrate somehow as a filetype but then you will loose some functionality.

midoras signature.gif

About PDNAnimator...          

Standalone application which allows to create animated images in PNG or GIF format from Paint.NET PDN files.

Warning: This tool is in a quite early state of development. Feedback is welcome.

Compared to a flat image file format the layers in a PDN image file provide the flexibility to combine the layers with opacity and blendmodes respecting the alpha values of layer pixels. This provides a quite good fundament which can be used by an application to create animations. PDNAnimator is such an application. You can not edit pixels in PDNAnimator (use Paint.NET to do this job) but you are able to combine the layers in a different way to create animations.

But how is the animation controlled? The user can edit the layer names in Paint.NET to add animation information about backgrounds, foregrounds, shifting, blending and timings. PDNAnimator uses this information coded in the names of the layers to create the frames of an animation. PDNAnimator also shows the animation and allows to export it to the standard animation formats used in the web.
(In the moment just apng).

Here is how PDNAnimator works. Starting from thevbottom layer up to the top layer the application checks the names of the layers and create frames for the animation (the visibility flags of the layers will be ignored).

The important character in the name is the '!' character. This character starts the frame information part of the name.
If a layer name does not contain a '!' then the layer will be added as the next frame to the animation.
The characters after the '!' define what should be done with the layer content.

See the help entry in the application menu for a summary of commands:
Background frame, Foreground frame, Default frame, Clipping, scaling down, flipping, moving, fading, timing.

Why isn't this tool implemented as a Paint.NET plugin? The plugin inferface of Paint.NET is limited to filetype and effect plugins. To integrate the animation part would be a big hack.

That's it. Enough information for the moment icon_e_wink.gif

midoras signature.gif

Awesome, Thanks so much EER and midora for the great job.

BTW, is that only link where we can download the app?

Best link in a long-term perspective is: PDNAnimator

midoras signature.gif