Bending & curving

Anyone know how can I bend or curve a background and object like in this picture?.

(Not spiral bend, 3D shape or whatsoever but like in the picture below)

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17xmf4iuwlny8jpg/original.jpg

Most of the bend and curve tutorial not really showing the result that I wanted. So, I hope someone can help me solve this problem and thanks in advance.

There's a few ways to do it, but I think the easiest is to use the "Tube Oblique" plugin found here

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Shape 3D wraps the canvas around a shape.  If you make the canvas twice as wide and wrap it around the cylinder shape it might work.

I made this quickly using tube oblique.

3dwall_zps68717b92.png

Basically made a wall of coloured squares then centered them using object align

Duplicated the image and turned off the bottom layer, then used tube oblique with a y ( bottom slider of the top 2 ) value of about -60,then turned off this layer and turned on the other and used tube oblique with a value of +60 on the y axis.

Turned on both layers and then erased the parts I didn't want ( so the bottom half of the upward curve image and the top part of the downward curved image )taking care where they meet.

Not perfect and probably a bit hard to do on a complicated image.

• Upvote 1

Pipped to the post by Minners71 ;)  

Shape 3D

Full cylinder map with only the body showing under "all face"
(on my quick example) 
Horizontal radius 1.960 all the rest 1.000
Rotation axis-1  - 182.9 Axis 2&3 0.0
Ambient light - 1.15 everything else on default
This is what I came up with - It does need some AA and a little cleaning up though. But here's another method to play with ;)
eg_zpse4fd6728.png

ZXCBOoZ.png

Some time or another, I really should take the time to read the instructions on your plugins, Red...You keep coming up with solutions to every problem using only your plugin pack, but I don't seem to have the attention span to sit down and figure them out. Sooooo many sliders D:

Change of advice, guys. Red's plugin is probably the best option here. No canvas size changing or duplicating and flipping layers.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I'm not sure I understand it myself Pdnnoob! :lol:

There are some example settings on the thread - just play with all the sliders/drop-down choices and see if looks ok.

Probably best to start with a large canvas too as I haven't sorted any antialiasing/smoothing for this plugin.

There may be better/easier soloutions out there too!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• 5 months later...

This is an old thread. Plus, you already asked.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.