Glow Beam/Light Beam

Copy Cat Master

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Hello. This is my first tutorial. If there something lack please let me know so I can fix it and please forgive me if there grammar and language mistake. I do not know if this kind of tutorial have been made but I tried to search for it and I cannot find any so, yeah.

Okay, after a few hours sitting infront of my computer trying to copy photoshop glow beam/light beam by using Paint.NET. I'm successful did it. It's very simple and you can done it in 30-60 seconds.

So, today I'm going to teach you how to make something like this.

WGLNfbI.jpg

Step one : Color your background with dark color like black by using Paint Bucket.

(You will get something like this)

2W8oQsM.jpg

Step two : Make a new layer. Choose white color as your primary color then choose Line / Curve tool with your desired size (Mine is 10). After that draw a line like this.

bjlLSDY.jpg

Step three : Go to Effects > Photo > Glow & set the radius to 20, the brightness to 100, the contrast to 100. Then go to the Layer Properties and change the mode to Glow.

107ZRXh.jpg

Step four : Make a new layer. Choose your desired color (Mine is yellow) as your primary color then choose Line / Curve tool with three times size bigger than your white line (Mine is 30). After that draw a line like this.

ik4aEfD.jpg

Step five : Go to Effects > Blurs > Gaussian Blur & set the radius to 50 (or something). Then go to the Layer Properties and change the mode to Glow.

t7tJvtc.jpg

Step six : Merge down all the layer and background and you done.

WGLNfbI.jpg

Step 6.1 (If you want to get a brighter result) : Merge down Layer 2 and Layer 3 then duplicate the layer and merge it down with the background. You are done. 

Thank you and I hope this will help a lot of people out there.

P.S: I do not have any examples of what else can be done with it from me at the moment but you can look at SAND33P work as example for now. I will add one when I have free time later.

2nv6zjm.jpg

• Upvote 2

Nice and simple to follow.

I have a suggestion though - Your examples of what else can be done with it. Perhaps expand on that part to help out anyone unsure of how to wrap the beam around an object.

• Upvote 1

swIFX9v.png

This has been done before, though with a slightly different method.

Note for step 3: because the line is white, setting the layer blend mode to glow will not affect the image.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

This has been done before, though with a slightly different method.

My tutorial is more simple, though.

Note for step 3: because the line is white, setting the layer blend mode to glow will not affect the image.

Ah, I see. Sorry but I'm still newbie/rookie & I'm still learning :P. Thank you for telling me.

Edit : Actually, it do affect the image.

White line without Glow mode (Lighter).

whitenoglow.png

White line with Glow mode (Darker).

whiteglow.png

Edited by Copy Cat Master

My tutorial is more simple, though.

Ah, I see. Sorry but I'm still newbie/rookie & I'm still learning :P. Thank you for telling me.

Edit : Actually, it do affect the image.

White line without Glow mode (Lighter).

whitenoglow.png

White line with Glow mode (Darker).

whiteglow.png

You're changing the layer blend mode on the top layer. I was only talking about the white one. Glow on the top one changes the results because it wasn't completely white like the middle layer. Step five, then, has no error.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

You're changing the layer blend mode on the top layer. I was only talking about the white one. Glow on the top one changes the results because it wasn't completely white like the middle layer. Step five, then, has no error.

Oh, I misunderstood. Sorry.

Very nice, both the examples and the text is very clear, and easy to follow. 

Good job thanks

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

This is another example what you can done with it.

Oh my Gosh I love Hatsune Miku!!

And i love Nekomimi which it seems you like as well! Yippee

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo

Sig Battle Wins: 5
DigitalTypographyNightvision.gif
My Gallery
| Smoke>Flames Tutorial

~96% of teens won't stand up for God. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 4% who will

Nice tutorial Copy Cat Master! Definitely takes effort to create them and shows you're the helpful type. Right on! :D

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo, Today, 01:06 PM.

lol uh oh Ninja, I hope EER doesn't find that post we made on midget strippers. hidesb.gif LOL I'm totally kidding EER <3 don't ban me bro!!!
  • Upvote 1

RFX5A1.jpg

how many of us are cats here...

i just posted my work under galleries...

this is a simple tut yet ideas can spring from it...

i always love fiddling with the effects...

and then look for tuts if my methods are correct...

now after reading this...

i think im on the right track on the glow effect...

thanks a lot...

=^_^=

destructionmap.jpg

siggyokazakishin1.png

• 8 months later...

Edited and updated the tutorial. I lost all the picture when picturepush.com updated. Sorry because I do not have any examples of what else can be done with it from me at the moment but you can look at SAND33P work as example.

2nv6zjm.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Rather than posting that in this topic, you should try sending a PM (private message) via the forum messaging system. For one, your request is irrelevant to the topic. Secondly, if you send a message, the recipient will get a notification of your message.

The easiest way to do this is to hover your mouse over the user's name next to one of their posts and click "send message"

What pdnnoob said.

Anyway, I make that signature background completely random (Pretty much I smash random thing until that created) so, I cannot remember how did I make it, lol.

I will need to try re-create it if possible and make the tutorial later when I have the time.

• 3 months later...

Nice little tutorial.

Got me interested in trying to make a similar kind of glowing ball, and making the colored ball larger didn't help.

Sadly, I did not manage to make any balls that glow as well as the beams. Setting the top layer to glow makes the white ball shine through, and it keeps a *very* faint hint of the colored ball.

Do you have any ideas on what I could do for glowing balls? Might be worthwhile to add the method for glowing balls to the main post as well? Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...