Reformatting the Plugin Index

I'm opening up this idea to elicit suggestions for an overhaul of the forum listing of the Plugin Index.

I'm planning to make a few tweaks to the formatting - now is your opportunity to tell me how you'd like it to look.

Here's how the listings look at the moment:

Chroma Key (Green) - @tarheit
For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.
Circle Text - @dpy
Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack

*NEW* Clipwarp - @Red ochre
Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

Exciting huh?  First idea: changing the font to Times New Roman from the default Arial.  The above partial listing would look like this:

Circle Text - @dpy

*NEW* Clipwarp - @Red ochre
Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

I think that looks better.  Don't you?

Colors, layout underling, etc..., can all be changed.  Tell me what you'd like.  If you want to try your hand a formatting, just copy & paste the sample listing from this post.

Chroma Key (Green) - tarheit

Circle Text - dpy

*NEW* Clipwarp - Red ochre

Ugh - don't even suggest this!

• Upvote 1

Circle Text - @dpy

-=NEW=- Clipwarp - @Red ochre

To be honest, I like the old style a lot. It's easy to read, looks organized and clean, etc.

I don't know how many people agree, but I think Times New Roman looks weird on the internet...

The only thing I changed was the asterisks around "NEW" because I always think that should make the text bolded...I forget what I used to use that used asterisks as the bold shortcut, but it's engrained in my mind now.

Edited by pdnnoob
  • Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

You could go with a single line for each plugin.

Chroma Key (Green) by @tarheit (For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.)

Circle Text by @dpy (Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack)

*NEW* Clipwarp by @Red ochre (Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.)

Circle Text - dpy

This is still better than Times New Roman.

• Upvote 1

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Circle Text - dpy

I think I agree with pyro and barbie, this font style is so easy to read, but with 14 size?
Edited by yellowman

That font may be easy to read...but it's comic sans (yuck).

Sans serif fonts tend to be easier to read and many of them look more clean design-wise (ever wonder why Helvetica is used so often on road signs?).

I'd stick with the current font or something similar (ex: Tahoma or Verdana).

I like the use of the red in superkingt's suggestion for the new plugin. It's complimentary to the blue, so it's easy to see and doesn't look out of place.

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

I would like to get some kind of grouping. Minimum filetpye and effect.

filetype, adjustments, effects>artistic, effects>blur, effects>color, etc...

That would be really useful!

Could you also include the DLL filename where the effect is located?  How about the path to the effect once loaded, like pdnnoob said above, like: "Effects > Selection > Bevel", etc.

Reason: I often see people install effects then not know where to find them in the menu.

Could you also include the DLL filename where the effect is located?  How about the path to the effect once loaded, like pdnnoob said above, like: "Effects > Selection > Bevel", etc.

Reason: I often see people install effects then not know where to find them in the menu.

This is the only change I would like to see, everything else is fine as it is :)

ZXCBOoZ.png

So the general consensus is to stay with (something like) the original formatting?  At least that is easy for me!

BoltBait's suggestion was Verdana for the font.  Sample:

Chroma Key (Green) - tarheit
Circle Text - dpy
Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack

*NEW* Clipwarp - Red ochre

Superkingt suggested one line for each & 'noob reformatted the NEW heading:

Chroma Key (Green) - tarheit For removing the green background from an image. Updated to include Blue.
Circle Text - dpy Writes text into a circle, or on an angle. dpy's Pack
-=NEW=- Clipwarp - Red ochre Deforms a clipboard image 'around' an object. Useful for creating glass and metallic effects.

@Midora: "I would like to get some kind of grouping. Minimum filetpye and effect."   The fifth post has a separate listing for filetypes, and these are indicated in the main lists.  Is this clear enough?

BoltBait & PDNNoob suggested specifying the location of the effect (Effects>Blurs, et al).  Nice to have, but as the Authors don't always play nice I'd have to go through them manually. Yucky prospect :(  The same goes for the *.dll name.  Unfortunately both these items are subject to change without notification - so I'm inclined to say a blanket "No" to these two labor intensive ideas (or as Rick would say "Not gonna happen").

Thank you all for your input.  Happy to continue discussion...,

This is the only change I would like to see, everything else is fine as it is :)

Now that is a good idea. :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

What if I did the initial sorting of all the plugins into their corresponding groups? :D

EDIT: nvm, don't have enough time...probably same on your end, so I understand if you don't care to do that yourself

Edited by pdnnoob

^^ A link back from the downloadable versions?  Good idea - I'll implement that.

EDIT: nvm, don't have enough time...probably same on your end, so I understand if you don't care to do that yourself

I'd have to download each one, install it, find the location & record it for each of over 300 plugins. Bleh :( 

• Upvote 1

Like the idea, but some of the authors don't frequent the forum - so getting them to comply might be an issue.  Then we have plugin packs with dozens of individual effects.  Sometimes these effects are not released in their own thread.

It's hard enough scraping the forum for the basics.  Since we updated the forum software my scraper had to have sections rewritten.