Clipwarp Shiny Text

barbieq25

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Plugins required:

Object Align - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=4193

Clipwarp - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25860-clipwarp-for-glass-metal-new-plugin-6th-jan-2013/page-1

Smooth - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=6776

Trail - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=18653

Fast FX – Glow & Soften Portrait - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=18819

Bevel Selection - http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8318-boltbaits-plugin-pack-updated-december-12-2011/page-1 

At the outset I would like to thank all of the plugin writers without whom we could not attain to the artistic levels seen here.

Thanks also go to the people who have helped me get this far & there are many :D

Disclaimer - I do not name my layers. This tute is aimed at more experienced users & it is assumed that you understand how to use layers, layer blend modes etc.

Red ochre also kindly pointed this out which may help you:

Slightly concerned by the size of the image (I think you said you have 12GB - I've only got 2GB and there are probably  users with less than that. However, large size is the easiest way to avoid pixellated edges caused by selections.
(For those adapting this to a smaller size it may be worth copying the selected area at stage 8 to a new layer, running Bevel selection then the AA object plugin before flattening back down before stage 10? - just a thought)

This is something like what you want to achieve:

jiHjq3.png

1.       Open a new image. Big is better. I have used 3200 x 2400. If it is too small the settings I have used here will not work for you.  

2.       For this tute either Google a PNG. image of roses/flowers that has a nice mix of contrasting colours. Your image should have a transparent background. 

3.       You may have to adjust the image to fit the canvas. Don’t be too concerned about the aspect ratio. If it is a bit stretched one way or the other, it will be ok. 

4.       Add a new layer. Delete the default background layer. It should look similar to this:

b7Hykx.png

5.       Add a new layer. Select yellow from the colour wheel and the text tool.

6.       Select a font that is reasonably uniform in thickness. I’ve used Edwardian here. 

7.       Use align object to align the text to “both”. I like to work from the centre but it is optional. At this stage it is hard to pick the text from the background. You can turn off the flower layer if you like.

x5OmqV.png

8.       Using the Magic Wand at default tolerance , but set Flood Mode to global, select the outside of the text. Then press CTRL + I to invert the selection.

9.       Next use Bevel Selection at these settings:

Highlight:

Shadow:

Depth: 5                               Strength: 1.0

XGHtpq.png

You may have to play with the Depth setting a bit but the text should look very curvy with the edges a brownish colour and yellow in the middle. I made my text a bit bigger using the rectangle select and Move tool.

10.   Now go to Adjustments and Curves and use the following settings:

TalXdB.png

11.   Deselect (CTRL + D) then Gaussian Blur at default or use AA Assistant at default. If your image is too small at this stage your text will blur. You don’t want this but you want to get rid of the jaggies. Go back to just the background and increase the size of the image, redo the text bigger and redo the bevel which you may also need to adjust.

12.   Duplicate the layer and set the blend mode to Overlay. Merge the two layers of text.

13.   Duplicate the layer twice and turn the lowest text layer off. This is so that you will have a backup in case you need it. Save your work as a .PDN file.

14.   Go to the flower layer or background and CTRL + A, CTRL + C to copy the image to the clipboard. Then deselect or CTRL + D.

15.   Go to the top gold text layer. Run Clipwarp (from Tools Menu under Effects) at something like this:

aVE3xd.png

You are aiming for a goodly amount of colour. Play with the settings until you are happy with it.

16.   Run Smooth (under Effects - Blurs) once or twice. Use CTRL + F to repeat. You want it smooth but not blurred. I did mine twice.

17.   Go to the text layer below and run Trail at something like below:

eiHQsm.png

18.   Run Smooth if you like. I ran it twice on this image. Set the blend mode to Overlay.

19.   Go to the last (third) layer of text and use Fast Effect Glow and Soften Portrait at these settings:

qbRGoz.png

mNXlYJ.png

20.   Set the top coloured layer of text blend mode to whatever takes you fancy. I’ve used Multiply.

21.   Run a Drop Shadow to your taste on the last layer of text. At this stage you could also Smooth Blur again if you think it needs it.

22.   Turn the background back on. You want to use a different one or keep it. The blend modes in the above text layers will determine what if reflected in the gold of the lettering.

23.   You can also tint the top layer if you like. Experiment and have fun!

Here is an alternative outcome:

qBJPHx.png

As always, if you find an error or need some further explanations, please just ask. I would love to see what you all come up with. There are many embellishments to take this a bit further & I would encourage you to try out other text tutes for the sake of learning new ways of working that can be used in conjunction.  

• Upvote 7
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

A really easy tute to follow barbieq25. I enjoyed this. Couldn't think of a name to put (my own perhaps) but as a thanks for making this possible I used your name :)

tutetest.png

• Upvote 2

BREtKQW.png

Thank you for taking the time to do this tutorial barbieq :) here is a variation using a wider font.

vibrant_zps9ee05e29.png

Nice example too DrewDale, and a nice sentiment :)

• Upvote 1

swIFX9v.png

Good creations Sasha & DrewDale :)

Thanks to barbieq25 for putting this together, an easy to read and understand tut. Here is my outcome. :)

glasstext.png

p.s:

This tut is worthy of a pin :D

• Upvote 1

ZXCBOoZ.png

Drewdale, your text is beautiful. The more you blur the top colour layer the more subtle the colour effects will be. As usual your work is very clean & clear. Thanks for your thanks too :) It is nice to be acknowledged. :D but more than that, it makes me feel good to know that people appreciate the effort. That goes for all of you too :D

Sasha, yours is positively glowing! I love how you have used the concept & went outside the box.

Nitenurse - great outcomes! I am pleased the tute was easy to follow. Again, you have taken the tute that little bit further & applied it to other things such as the ellipse. Now you can see the possibilities of what it could be used for :D Thanks too for the pin vote. Made my day. :)

My thanks again to the great plugin writers we have here. 

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

I think my font could have worked out better, but I used a different image than the one you linked to. Now that I look at my version I should have used the word "Ford" as my chosen text, mine reminds me of an old car logo :) A very good tut for new comers and seasoned users alike :D

ZXCBOoZ.png

I think my font could have worked out better, but I used a different image than the one you linked to. Now that I look at my version I should have used the word "Ford" as my chosen text, mine reminds me of an old car logo :) A very good tut for new comers and seasoned users alike :D

Ford is always good :P

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Hi BBQ,

Well written and illustrated. I hadn't thought of using clipwarp like that, but it's a great result - well done! :star:

I think Bevel selection is in BoltBait's pack (or has it been 'built in' while I wasn't watching!). Maybe worth adding a link?

Slightly concerned by the size of the image (I think you said you have 12GB - I've only got 2GB and there are probably still XP users with less than that. However, large size is the easiest way to avoid pixellated edges caused by selections.
(For those adapting this to a smaller size it may be worth copying the selected area at stage 8 to a new layer, running Bevel selection then the AA object plugin before flattening back down before stage 10? - just a thought)

Also, on clipwarp, have you tried using the 'square root' option for the curvature type ?. It is slightly smoother than the  'linear' option if lower levels of overall displacement are required.
I will get around to writing 'advanced' instructions and examples in the clipwarp thread (eventually).

Thanks again for taking the time to write this - people are getting good results!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Red ochre. I've had Bevel for so long that I cannot remember if it comes with the program or not :P but you are correct. I will do that tonight when I get home.

My old machine was running 2GB on XP & it could handle it. What I will do is add what you have written since it is a very good point too. Thanks heaps for the feedback. :D 

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

An excelent tutorial BBQ; clear and concise and easy to follow.  A Sticky Clipwarp Shiny Text Tute for sure :smile: :smile: . 

Just one small point of note, in the Bevel instructions you have strength as 10, which I think should be 1.0 as I couldn't get it to go higher.

Thank you for such a fun tute.  I love the way you experiment with all these plugins (and remember what you did) :scanner:

An attempt from me.

BBQsclipwarptute.png

Edited by nanettealsop

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey, that is a very nice take on the tute. Shows a wider application too. Thanks for your Sticky vote too :kiss: You guys are all great!

Thanks too for pointing out the Bevel setting. I would never have noticed. 

Thanks Red ochre, I've added those things in. 

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Nice tutorial Barbie. Just a couple of tips. Between stage 10 & 11 you don`t say whether to deselect the text before using G Blur/AA or not. I did deselect but someone new to PDN might not know for sure. Also at step 13 when you have to duplicate the text and turn one off it might be helpful if you say which one to turn off.  Naming each layer would help as well - then you, or anyone having problems, can easily refer to a specific one.  (No need to redo this tut with named layers of course but it`s just something to remember for the future.)

And finally ,( after the lecture :D ) , here is my go.

cliptext.jpg

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

The reason you make two copies is in case you stuff up or want to use it for something else. I often have merged layers with the unmerged parts there in case I want to change the colour, alter the shadow or whatever. I did go back & say to de-select - thankies :D

I have put in a disclaimer at the outset as this tute is aimed at those who asked for it & these are not beginners. (by any means!) :D Given the number of comments on how easy it is to follow, I think it has hit the mark :D

I rarely name layers (I think Oma or was it Helen, said the same). One of the reasons is that as you merge the layers or run a plugin, the name is no longer valid. If there were sub-sections to the Text Effects section, I would have put it into intermediate or advanced. 

Love your outcome Goonie! Subtle colours & max shine brought out very well with a fitting background. Nice one!

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

Ok sorry. I never realised about the `stuff up' layer. I just assumed it was there to be used . But  I see what you mean now.

As far as naming is concerned I guess it depends what you prefer. I just find it less confusing when there are numerous little details on different layers that look similar - stars for example. I very often have large , medium and small stars and star brushes so it`s easier to keep track if I know which is which.

Edited by Goonfella

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

I agree with the little elements that are so hard to see in the preview layer pane. Also sometimes with the "stuff up" layer you can use it to enhance an image. It can be used to bring out more detail or even used to alter the blend mode too. Basically it is a spare. Sometimes I don't explain things very well & assume too much. :D

Lately, & because I have a lot of HDD + RAM, I keep layers intact but turned off in case (being female I can & do) change my mind :D I never flatten an image before saving any more. I learnt that in the very early days when all the tutes said to do that :D

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

...  Dare I tell my wife I miss another woman ... ?)

Do not.  Ever.

@barbieq25 - a well deserved pin.

Dare I tell my wife I miss another woman ... ?

Welshie!?! Here I was thinking you had some sense in that wonderful brain of yours!

Congratz on the sticky! I was just thinking to myself this is how text was meant to be, then decided if all text was like this, we'd get bored because we wouldn't have anything better to read. Great work!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Dare I tell my wife I miss another woman ... ?

Not unless you want to sleep in your car ;)

Congratulations on the sticky pin barbieq25 well deserved :star:

BREtKQW.png

I miss Oma too. Gosh, I think Mrs Welshy wouldn't be like that but I guess if you have to ask, you already know. :D

Thanks Pdnnoob for such high praise on the tute. Thanks everyone who gave me a vote of confidence & for the sticky too! :D 

THiGVp.png

April Jones, 2012

• 2 months later...

WOW! I never knew there was so much to Paint.NET!!! OMG I'm such a noob at this sorta stuff, I keep wishing I had Photoshop (still do, but hey!), then I would be bothered with TUTs, well yeah, thanks for the tutorial, I am SO gonna try this epic stuff out!  :evillaugh:

-Hussein :)

sgs0xgu.png

I play lots of Minecraft, (Minecraft.net), only 'creative mode' though. View my 'builds' and other stuff here: planetminecraft.com/member/fighterbear12  :smile:

Wow, very good TUT! :smile: I made one myself, but the Smooth plugin isn't working for me, but that didn't stop me  :grin:
-I can't get the image into the description =[, could someone tell me how?

Edited by Hussein Horack

sgs0xgu.png

I play lots of Minecraft, (Minecraft.net), only 'creative mode' though. View my 'builds' and other stuff here: planetminecraft.com/member/fighterbear12  :smile:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

As always, if you find an error or need some further explanations, please just ask. I would love to see what you all come up with. There are many embellishments to take this a bit further & I would encourage you to try out other text tutes for the sake of learning new ways of working that can be used in conjunction.  

Absolutely beautiful tutorial.

Thank you so much.