How to Install Plugins ×

Clipwarp - for glass & metal (new plugin 6th Jan 2013)

Red ochre

T5Lt7tt.png

There is a newer and slightly easier to understand version (with smoothing)here:http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27607-new-clipwarp-14th-dec-2013/

Clipwarp deforms the clipboard picture 'around' an object. Useful for glass and metal effects.

I must thank Null54 who helped me to get this plugin to work. It also relies on code supplied by illnab1024.
Thanks to EER, Boltbait & Sepcot and all that share their knowledge.

Here is the .dll

Here is the U.I.

This is a very basic guide to using it.

1. open a picture - this is the background.

kgYTBfh.png

2. create new transparent layer above this.

3. draw a squiggly line (width say 30 pix) or some text (make it big)

4. run my'Object edge' plugin (link in sig) with the mix sliders fully right, this should make the line look a bit like a tube.White middle, black edges.

wk6xlZa.png

5. copy the background.(you're not pasting it anywhere just copying to the clipboard).

6. run 'clipwarp' on the layer with the line. Instant glass text!

b8ZehiH.png

7. If you change the background it can give a passable metal effect (top picture)

TIP: Try blurring the background image first.

I have written a more detailed tutorial on how to put shading on the object layer here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/27608-clipwarped-text-tutorial14th-dec-2013/#entry401568

Feel free to post pictures of what you can make using it - and any tips, in this thread. It will give people an idea of ways it can be used. (Thanks Sasha and Welshblue for trying this one out!)

ClipWarp.zip

Edited by Pixey
updates images
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Great looking plug in Red. I`ll be downloading this one.

Welshy you need a smaller box . The bigger the box the further away the outside will be! sHa_biggrin.gif

This is great for glass and and polished metal. For the metal I copied the text to the clipboard instead of the background image and I used Selection>Bevel Selection first instead of Object Edge. (it was a mistake actually but it turned out rather nice! ). With the glass I used Outline Object on the text at the end to give it a bit more definition and did the same with the frame.

ClipWarp_zpsa88e6235.jpg

ClipWarp_glass_zpsf1d577e9.jpg

Edited by Goonfella
  • Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Again thanks Red ochre & Null54 a great plugin :)

Nice work Welshblue & Goonfella.

metalics_zps65fe0869.png

I used a copy of the text layer with magic wand, then created a new layer on top set to negation, then used a gradient to get the metal effect.

Edited by sashwilko
  • Upvote 2

swIFX9v.png

Just followed the instructions here, had a little try out with the sliders, added a "glass" frame to match the text, result :)

Thanks for the development and creation of this plugin Red Ochre and Null54.

windscreen.png

• Upvote 2

ZXCBOoZ.png

Looks like you're all getting the hang of how to use this!

Welshy, Sasha, Goonfella, Nitenurse & Dug - all great results, thanks for taking the time to post your result.

By the way you can also distort a layer by its own gradient - not sure if useful yet - just odd textures.

Anyway I've just made this :)

mercury.png

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

clipwarp2.png

For this image I followed the instructions  then duplicated the text and set the upper layer to multiply, I then used the sharpen landscape plug in to enhance the picture. Then on the text layer I ran outline object. Great plugin with many possibilities, respect for the creation and for sharing this :)

• Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

By the way you can also distort a layer by its own gradient - not sure if useful yet - just odd textures.

How do you do that please. :)

Nice examples Nitenurse79 dug DrewDale & Red ochre, you could create a competition just based on this plugin ;)

Edited by sashwilko

swIFX9v.png

Thanks Skullbonz.

Red ochre, on 07 Jan 2013 - 17:26, said:snapback.png

How do you do that please. :)

Sasha, simply select and copy the layer and run clipwarp on the same layer - probably reduce the overall displacement too.

Drew - brilliant - love the tubular bells one! :D

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Sasha, simply select and copy the layer and run clipwarp on the same layer - probably reduce the overall displacement too.

The Text layer or the image layer? 

swIFX9v.png

Image layer

- it will be a bit slow because it has more to process - you could try it on the text layer but most of the transparent part is actually white - so no tone gradient - so no distortion on those bits.

I must get better at explaining things!

PdnForumSig2.jpg

One more. It could not be resisted B)

warpularbells.png

Well now there is a blast from the past & what a great way to do it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LEWkwvaNcs For those of you too young to have got it the first time. :D

What a great plugin! Thanks Red ochre & Null54, illnab1024 EER, Boltbait & Sepcot for helping make this plugin a goer. Fabulous!

Edited by barbieq25
THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Edit: Forgot to say what a great bunch of images have been created from this plugin. Amazing! I can see a whole bunch of tute requests coming your way guys & gals. Hope I get some time to play today :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I just can't get the hang of this one. I get lost when you want us to copy the background to the clipboard. Whatever I am missing is probably right in front of me,but I'll be damned if I can figure it out,lol. Must be the oldtimers kicking in,heh,heh. 

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

Skullbonz, for that step I used Ctrl + A then clicked on the background image and selected copy, I then de-selected, clicked back onto the text layer and then opened up Clip Warp :)

BREtKQW.png

All you need to do for this is click on the background layer which should have your chosen image, then go to Edit>Select All, followed by Edit>Copy.

Or you could use the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl-A , Ctrl-C

Then click on the layer with your text, line whatever and run the plug in.

(Got there before me Drew - just! Forgot to mention about de-selecting so maybe it`s just as well )

Edited by Goonfella
  • Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Thank you Drew Dale and Goonfella I did it!!! :)  I got some pretty cool results with different backgrounds. One thing though,I really don't see the need to save a copy of the background to the clip board. I discarded the background and used a different one on each try. I started out simple using skullbonz,lol,and ended up with this. I am thinking of using it for my sig,I kind of like it,simple but cool looking.

Thank you Red Ochre,nice plugin,I'll be experimenting with this one a lot in the future.

sig-2small-sigsize.png

Lol,just had to use it,lol,it made the old one look like dog doo,heh,heh.  (the only words the censor would let me use,lol)

Edited by skullbonz
  • Upvote 1

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery