Sign in to follow this  
pdnnoob

3D extrusion from sphere

yellowman    205

@pdnnoob,  I've said it before and say it again, you are no more pdnnoob, but pdnmaster,

Excellent tutorial, with fantastic result, and  thanks for referring to my tute, but I think if you explain the procedure in an additional step, it will be much better for those who want to download it, to save their time

BTW, as long as the sphere is in the center, then you can use layer Rotate/Zoom to zoom it

And I have tried it with the Point blur and got a good result as well, without needing to my technique.

Edited by yellowman
  • Upvote 1

jim100361    61

I've been meaning to comment on this.  I think it's a cool tutorial.  I haven't yet had an opportunity to put my hand to the test on this, but this is certainly on my list to try. 

Congrats!

dug    84

Congratulations on the sticky.Cool, well laid out tutorial.I hope to try it out soon, when time becomes available. :smile:

barbieq25    668

Minners, I like your outcome. Nevermind that the countries are moved. I really like the idea of the UK & Europe being next to Australia & if possible, put them somewhere where we have nice even temps, please :) 

I would not have noticed the misplacement -ever.

Having same issues with posting images too. 

As I said - the outcome is great to me :D

welshblue    331
 I'm more concerned that I can't post images anymore  :(

Strange.  I overhauled my whole gallery today.  I found the best way was to go to full editor mode ... put in the pb links ... preview post ... then save it

Ego Eram Reputo    1,688
EER, what icon? I cannot find it.

Both the quick and full editors should have it.  Look in the Tool Bar top left, just above the Bold icon.

@Minners71:  Awesome image :star:

pdnnoob    257

if I werent replicating another planet, woudn't it be possible to achieve this effect using only the 3D tool

Theoretically, yes. As far as practicality goes, however, rendering a bazillion spheres in increasing size is a real pain (to get the extruded effect). Zoom blur/transparency adjustment is faster by far.

rocky532    14

@pdnnoob--thanks for the tutorial! It was a great help and inspiration for me.  :smile:

Here's my interpretation of the tutorial; I hope it meets all the rules and such. This is my first attempt at a somewhat vintage map, but I was aiming for something unique. Thanks  :)

VintageSphere_zps972f7594.png

• Upvote 2

Ego Eram Reputo    1,688

Hey Rocky532 - welcome to the forum :)

Woah!  That's a nice map!  The coloring of the land masses could be just a little lighter - however it's still an excellent piece.  Impressed.

+1