3D extrusion from sphere

pdnnoob

I've been meaning to comment on this.  I think it's a cool tutorial.  I haven't yet had an opportunity to put my hand to the test on this, but this is certainly on my list to try. 

Congrats!

I hadn't even noticed Australia and Indonesia on the wrong side of Africa until just now xD What have you done, minners!?

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Minners, I like your outcome. Nevermind that the countries are moved. I really like the idea of the UK & Europe being next to Australia & if possible, put them somewhere where we have nice even temps, please :) 

I would not have noticed the misplacement -ever.

Having same issues with posting images too. 

As I said - the outcome is great to me :D

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Editing posts:  Try flicking the little "switch" icon in the editing toolbar to toggle between BB and editing mode.  I find it helps.

EER, what icon? I cannot find it.

Both the quick and full editors should have it.  Look in the Tool Bar top left, just above the Bold icon.

@Minners71:  Awesome image :star:

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

if I werent replicating another planet, woudn't it be possible to achieve this effect using only the 3D tool?

anyway, here is a serious deviant that I ended up with; got really carried away.

jauyLXR.png

EVd1gES.png

if I werent replicating another planet, woudn't it be possible to achieve this effect using only the 3D tool

Theoretically, yes. As far as practicality goes, however, rendering a bazillion spheres in increasing size is a real pain (to get the extruded effect). Zoom blur/transparency adjustment is faster by far.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

@pdnnoob--thanks for the tutorial! It was a great help and inspiration for me.  :smile:

Here's my interpretation of the tutorial; I hope it meets all the rules and such. This is my first attempt at a somewhat vintage map, but I was aiming for something unique. Thanks  :)

VintageSphere_zps972f7594.png

• Upvote 2

Hey Rocky532 - welcome to the forum :)

Woah!  That's a nice map!  The coloring of the land masses could be just a little lighter - however it's still an excellent piece.  Impressed.

+1

• Ego Eram Reputo featured this topic