OddLlama

Image Battles

129 posts in this topic

spacescene800x600_zpsf9a8ca21.png

a recent creation...full version is in my gallery.

@skullbonz (psst! You forgot to resize to 800x600 to match the rules!)

Tough choices.  So glad I can be nice to both

Skullbonz ... loved it the first time I saw it.  Not sure which part I love the most.  The marble or the shadow/ reflection.  Not a fan of the beveled border.  Would look nicer without it IMO.  (You wouldn't have had to re-size it either - the whole forum page would have been part of it ...)  4 :star:

pdnnoob .,. I'm the last person to critique a space piece but great asteroids and great composition   5 :star:

SkullBonz 4 :star: 's

psnnoob 5 :star: 's

Skullbonz: The marble/orb thing is amazing and the "powder coating" around the bottom is quite unique. However the plain white background detracts from the work just a little.   :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

PDNnoob: Altogether a really nice piece. I almost didn't even notice the faint nebulae until I moved my screen a little. The asteroid belt was just a little distracting to me. Maybe had it been a little more faint or blurred.   :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  

Skullbonz:  :star: x8

PDNnoob:  :star: x9

Edited by Daniels

Skullbonz:  :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:

I like your work and the little efect there at the bottom looks great. I just felt like you could've done more since the background is blank.

PDNnoob:  :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:

It's so detailed, and so realistic. It looks great and is fully deserving of my rating of it.

Skullbonz   :star: x 12

PDNnoob   :star: x 14

SkullBonz: A nice piece, with some nice texture, but the border is really cutting it for me.  :star:    :star:    :star:

pdnnoob: Very, very cool! Very well done. For critique, the planet's brightness seems a bit off, and it would be nicer to have some more obvious/numerous space clouds.  :star:    :star:    :star:    :star:    :star:

Skullbonz:  :star: x 15

PDNnoob:  :star: x 19

It's a tie.

Going to put in this work I made quite a while ago.

EnchantedSandstorm.png

Edited by Xzerizon

I shall drop this one I made a couple of weeks ago into the battle. B)

gwfresized.png

Xzerixon: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Good attention to details, but the image could use some depth. The object of interest here, the sword, doesn't stand out from the background very well, dulling the overall effect.

DrewDale: :star: :star: :star:

The image definitely has the glassy feel down, but it needs something other than a drop shadow to define the edges, especially between the guitar and the sphere. Rather than producing a 3D effect here, it makes everything look flat and conflicts with pretty much everything else in the picture. Perhaps that was the intention, but I find it painfully damaging.

I better try.

Xzerixon: The sword is very realistic. And I like the background. Both have very good texture. But I think the handle could have used some more work. It's too smooth. Maybe some bumps? And a design with/without jewels? Also, the lines around the object give me the feeling that it's in motion, yet it's still 'standing' there. But, if your aim was making it look like a magical sword, then bright colors, like cyan, yellow or green, would be suitable. Also, the blade texture could have used some more work, too. The tip of the object looks like it's bending. About the background, I believe it would have been nice to see some ground and/or wall; seems there's a small problem with perspective. And, again, I admit it's very realistic. :star: :star:  :star:

DrewDale: I like the background and how you used Zoom blur. Also, I like how the sphere and the instrument stand out. But I don't like the direction of lights and shadows. It seems to me the light comes from :arrow-upright: (the bottom of the guitar has a line that looks like forelight) and/or :arrow-upleft: (the sphere has a shadow), but the drop shadow indicates that the direction of light comes from :arrow-downright:. It's confusing. Then, there's also the shadow of the guitar; I think it needs to look like it's being cast on a round object. And in the right direction.  :star: :star:  :star:

Xzerixon:  :star: x 7

DrewDale:  :star: x 6

(Sorry if it's too harsh. :S)

Edited by Beta0

Thanks  for share

You could actually vote while you was here you know  :roll:

I liked them both, the sword and the guitar.  However it is the sword that gets my vote.  I am having trouble using this website so if i did it wrong forgive me.  I like the sharp minimal lines of the sword a lot.  It's is close in my way of looking at it because both are good but  my nod goes to the sword.

@hermenutic:  Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

As dynCysgodol pointed out, we have a procedure for voting in this thread.  We score each of the entrants using a one to five star rating - the first to 15 wins.  To drop a star into your post, type in a colon, the word star then another colon.  Like this:

:star:

Produces this :star:

So in your post you need to make it clear what your vote is for each then tally the results.  Hope this is clear.  The first post in this thread has more details.

Also, will we be restarting the image battle for other entrants, as the other ones have not been responded to for quite a while?

There is little interest in this competition as the lack of recent posts shows. I'm happy to restart it and see if there are new 'battlers' out there. 

I'll declare Xzerixon the winner of the previous battle with a score of  7  :star: .  Congratulations Xzerixon!

Two new entrants are required.  Please submit your entries as per the conditions in the first post of this thread.

Well, then I gues I'll drop this one I made a time ago.
eONRAOA.png
Completely drawn by me in Paint.NET, took 3-5 hours.

Edited by dynCysgodol

Lol... I've never actually entered in this comp, time for a first time :)

WallpaperGlassBoxPNG.png

Photo from my own stock.

Wow! I love them both!

-- That shield's texture and shine is some of the best I've seen while exploring the forums so far.

-- That sun and tree though are simply breath taking.

I want to give both of you 4 stars! I can't quite say 5 stars as I'm hard to be impress for a perfect score.

So, not sure if this scoring is aloud, but....

4 stars to dynCysgodol! :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

And 4.5 stars to Chimay12321!  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:and a half. lol

Ultimately Chimay12321 gets my vote. :)

ps: dynCysgodol, regardless of me liking Chimay's pic, can you make a tut? That is seriously an awesome shield, and as I said, I'm fascinated by it's textures. ^.^

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

dynCysgodol  I really like the light effects playing on the metal, the rivets have just to look needed to make them "real"  I do think the lines in the center of the star would be better left out, but regardless, well executed  

Chimay12321   Your work is most interesting,  the "triptych"  method is a good use of your photo. I would like to suggest that you consider in future projects of this type having a variation of  "style"- between all three sections; to                                give each its own variation/ character, while maintaining a unified look to the whole for the piece.  As apposed to the current  blurry-sharp- blurry . Hope this makes a kind of sense as I'm sure you have the talent to                            do it.   

dynCysgodol  I give 6   :star:

Chimay12321 I give 4 :star:

Current scoring:

dynCysgodol   10 :star:

Chimay12321   8   :star: 

dynCysgodol  I give 6   :star:

I don't want to be a prick, but you may only give 5 stars to an entry :P So I think you mean you give dyn 5 stars ^^

78e19373.gif   

Current scoring:

dynCysgodol   9 :star:

Chimay12321   8   :star: 

Is mine any good? BTW I'm just a beginner. I call it "Pulse"

nqMYExQ.jpg

100 % PaintDotNet

Well, then I gues I'll drop this one I made a time ago.
eONRAOA.png
Completely drawn by me in Paint.NET, took 3-5 hours.

Amazing,,,

dyncysgodol ... nicely made but lacking a fitting background to show it off  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Chimay' ... beautiful glow, I would say too blurred on the outer parts but that's just personal taste so would be unfair to score it harshly  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

dyncysgodol  :star: x 13

Chimay          :star: x 13

Is mine any good? BTW I'm just a beginner. I call it "Pulse"

nqMYExQ.jpg

100 % PaintDotNet

Amazing,,,

Xia

Trying hard not sound like an old grouchy teacher, I would gently suggest that you give the form of how Image Battles works (see page one of this post, also the maximum picture size etc.) which will make your inputs of both illustration and opinion (voting for your favorite) most welcome. By giving each of the current contestants your "stars" (i.e. maximum of 5 each of your votes) and updating the count as you can see in the other posts will provide the current entry's to receive their due.

Then  when the current contest is over (one of the contestants reaches 15 stars) you can enter your illustration in competition with another member.  Your illustration is certainly worthy of a good contest and the voters comments will be a help to give you the knowledge to continue to improve even more.

Good Luck; looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future. 

Xia

Trying hard not sound like an old grouchy teacher, I would gently suggest that you give the form of how Image Battles works (see page one of this post, also the maximum picture size etc.) which will make your inputs of both illustration and opinion (voting for your favorite) most welcome. By giving each of the current contestants your "stars" (i.e. maximum of 5 each of your votes) and updating the count as you can see in the other posts will provide the current entry's to receive their due.

Then  when the current contest is over (one of the contestants reaches 15 stars) you can enter your illustration in competition with another member.  Your illustration is certainly worthy of a good contest and the voters comments will be a help to give you the knowledge to continue to improve even more.

Good Luck; looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future. 

Ok :(