Image Battles

OddLlama

@hermenutic:  Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

As dynCysgodol pointed out, we have a procedure for voting in this thread.  We score each of the entrants using a one to five star rating - the first to 15 wins.  To drop a star into your post, type in a colon, the word star then another colon.  Like this:

:star:

Produces this :star:

So in your post you need to make it clear what your vote is for each then tally the results.  Hope this is clear.  The first post in this thread has more details.

• Upvote 1

Also, will we be restarting the image battle for other entrants, as the other ones have not been responded to for quite a while?

There is little interest in this competition as the lack of recent posts shows. I'm happy to restart it and see if there are new 'battlers' out there. 

I'll declare Xzerixon the winner of the previous battle with a score of  7  :star: .  Congratulations Xzerixon!

Two new entrants are required.  Please submit your entries as per the conditions in the first post of this thread.

Well, then I gues I'll drop this one I made a time ago.
eONRAOA.png
Completely drawn by me in Paint.NET, took 3-5 hours.

Edited by dynCysgodol

Wow! I love them both!

-- That shield's texture and shine is some of the best I've seen while exploring the forums so far.

-- That sun and tree though are simply breath taking.

I want to give both of you 4 stars! I can't quite say 5 stars as I'm hard to be impress for a perfect score.

So, not sure if this scoring is aloud, but....

4 stars to dynCysgodol! :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

And 4.5 stars to Chimay12321!  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:and a half. lol

Ultimately Chimay12321 gets my vote. :)

ps: dynCysgodol, regardless of me liking Chimay's pic, can you make a tut? That is seriously an awesome shield, and as I said, I'm fascinated by it's textures. ^.^

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

• 1 month later...

dynCysgodol  I really like the light effects playing on the metal, the rivets have just to look needed to make them "real"  I do think the lines in the center of the star would be better left out, but regardless, well executed  

Chimay12321   Your work is most interesting,  the "triptych"  method is a good use of your photo. I would like to suggest that you consider in future projects of this type having a variation of  "style"- between all three sections; to                                give each its own variation/ character, while maintaining a unified look to the whole for the piece.  As apposed to the current  blurry-sharp- blurry . Hope this makes a kind of sense as I'm sure you have the talent to                            do it.   

dynCysgodol  I give 6   :star:

Chimay12321 I give 4 :star:

Current scoring:

dynCysgodol   10 :star:

Chimay12321   8   :star: 

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

dynCysgodol  I give 6   :star:

I don't want to be a prick, but you may only give 5 stars to an entry :P So I think you mean you give dyn 5 stars ^^

ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

78e19373.gif   

Current scoring:

dynCysgodol   9 :star:

Chimay12321   8   :star: 

Scooter

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

Is mine any good? BTW I'm just a beginner. I call it "Pulse"

nqMYExQ.jpg

100 % PaintDotNet

Amazing,,,

Xia

Trying hard not sound like an old grouchy teacher, I would gently suggest that you give the form of how Image Battles works (see page one of this post, also the maximum picture size etc.) which will make your inputs of both illustration and opinion (voting for your favorite) most welcome. By giving each of the current contestants your "stars" (i.e. maximum of 5 each of your votes) and updating the count as you can see in the other posts will provide the current entry's to receive their due.

Then  when the current contest is over (one of the contestants reaches 15 stars) you can enter your illustration in competition with another member.  Your illustration is certainly worthy of a good contest and the voters comments will be a help to give you the knowledge to continue to improve even more.

Good Luck; looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future. 

• Upvote 1

Scooter

Xia

Trying hard not sound like an old grouchy teacher, I would gently suggest that you give the form of how Image Battles works (see page one of this post, also the maximum picture size etc.) which will make your inputs of both illustration and opinion (voting for your favorite) most welcome. By giving each of the current contestants your "stars" (i.e. maximum of 5 each of your votes) and updating the count as you can see in the other posts will provide the current entry's to receive their due.

Then  when the current contest is over (one of the contestants reaches 15 stars) you can enter your illustration in competition with another member.  Your illustration is certainly worthy of a good contest and the voters comments will be a help to give you the knowledge to continue to improve even more.

Good Luck; looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future. 

Ok :(

I guess I'll finish this one off then :)

Chimay: Lovely composition. The little panels give it the look of frosted glass, and the colors are just right for the image.  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Dyn: Wow. The shine on that shield is amazing. Would be rather foreboding to have to face the guy carrying that in battle.  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

The standings are:

Dyn:  :star: x18

Chimay:  :star: x17

Dyn is the winner!

And in the words of our good buddy Scooter, Next!   :biggrin: 

XIA !

Hey 83932c0a.gif

Now's the time brother, to show 'em what you got----Go For It!

Sorry for getting off topic and side sidetackd_zps43771168.gif tracked  

Scooter

Two great images!  Where to start....

NiteNurse79:  It's a bit spooky (in a good way).  Like an Escher ;)  I like the way it has this whole underground altered/distorted time theme.  I can't help thinking - "what kind of a world has a clock like that?".  I would like the hands to be less blurred at the extremities.

Daniels:  You been looking in my inbox?  (TR and I have been collaborating on a plugin to make planets ;) ).  Unfortunately this means I'm going to be harsh - relatively speaking :lol:  I think the clouds need work.  They are too uniform IMHO.  Neither do I feel they should overlap the planet edge.  At this scale they should be clipped to the same edge.  I AM liking your land texture though.  Great job on that and the nebula.

NiteNurse79  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  = 5

Daniels :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  = 4

OH Boy!  Two great images. I can only stand (well sitting now) in awe of the talent.

I like both for totally separate reasons:

Daniels your very clever use of my home planet creates a warm spot on my anatomyfahr10.gif.    I too, feel the clouds -though a great idea- miss the mark compared to the quality of the rest of your work. The light and shadow of the planet is impressive in both contrast and colors (colours) and the  “terminator” is interesting in its location and shape.

NiteNurse79  this is quite a tour de force.  An everyday object  re-invented into a stylistic shape that moves the viewer into a different vantage point.  My initial reaction was similar to EER's re: the hands. But then I began to "see" a possibility, that if the  crystal (no common glass or plastic here) were a dome shape from the end of the hands up to the center and was flatter from the end of the hands to the surround, then the end of the hands would be 'blurry" from distortion by the crystal....  (boy, that is a stretch to the laws of credibility getsmileyCAGO35YW.gif

Blathering aside, my stars are: NiteNurse79   :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:  = 5; Daniels  :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:  = 4  

Current Totals :

NiteNurse79   :star:  's  = 10

Daniels           :star:  's  =   8

Scooter

My first time commenting on one of these so I'll give my 2-cents.

@Daniels: Space wins. Space always wins.

Ok realistically now, it's a nice image. I really, really like the colour and texture of the land masses but the water seems too....plain to me. The clouds are also a tad bland, but just roughening them up will fix that :)

Also, give it an atmosphere (inner and outer glow)!

+SPACE! 5 STARS

+Land Mass Colour

+Land Mass Texture

+Different Star Sizes

-Water

-Clouds

@nitenurse79: Great look to the image, very distorted and surreal. I can imagine you spent a lot of time doing the numbers and the minute-lines :) . The entire thing looks ever so slightly blurry though, but I personally think it suits the hands. I do think that the chrome area needs a rougher texture though,

+Surrealism effects works well

+Colours are great

+Blurry hands suit

+Nice reflective-like effort.

-Blurry chrome texture.

Daniels:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Nitenurse:   :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Current Totals :

NiteNurse79    :star:  's  = 14

Daniels            :star:  's  =   11

I can see myself becoming the mean one which no one wants reviewing their stuff...

Edited by Drydareelin

And now for Cc4FuzzyHuggles' long feedback, plus+ my votes!

Feed Back and Thoughts.

Daniels
For my personal preferences,
– I actually like the clouds. I think they look neat.
– The land is nice, I like the coloring and the shapes are great. And although I like the edges of the land, maybe it could of used more of a 3D depth from the water. The land's texture also would of looked cool with some sort of engraved/embossed, or eroded appearance.
– For the water, beautiful coloration, I love that blue, it's very appealing. But even with the great coloration, I do feel the water is missing something. I'm not sure if some sort of wavy texture, or wavy pattern, or broad swirls would of been possible, or looked right, but I do feel anything added to the water, to enhance it's appearance, would have been a nice bonus.
– And about those stars and space background, ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! With your twinkling stars and that blue-ish colored area, your space background is just wonderful!

Over All, your planet feels rather smooth to me, which for some people that's a pretty aspect, and if that is the look you were aiming for, then I'd say you did a great job and get an A++.
However, I tend to lean more towards planets with depth and stronger bumppy, riggidy, dimply, engraved, or emobssed textures.
Either way, your planet is way better than anything I could ever do, and it is still very attractive to the eye. So I admire the work you've done with it. You have a very pleasing planet. :)

Nitenurse79
– Oh, I love it! I get a sense of classic mysteries and classic detectives from it. With the combination of the colors, shine, and the watch, I'm thinking mysteries, leather watches/pocket watches, and old classic Cadillacs. Kind of like something that might be inspired by a cool mystery book such as Sherlock Holmes or The Great Mouse Detective movie, as well as classic study rooms, like in the older versions of the game of Clue. I see a very classicy and cool feel from your picture, which makes it quite fun.
– About the slight blurring, I honestly don't know what it would look like not blurred, and I don't mind the blur. And without a comparison picture of blurred vs not blurred, I don't know which one would fit better to the “classic mysteries/detective” sense that I'm getting from it. So, I'd say it's fine, and the blur might actually be complementing the sense.

Over all, I think it turned out very neat. I really don't have much of any ideas or feed back to say about it. But for personal preferences, maybe taking the detective sense that it gives off, and running with it, could give some bonus fun to the picture.

Voting

Daniels – Cool clouds, good land shapes, I enjoyed your planet and it's blue, blue oceans, and I loved your starry background. So I give you 4 stars. :star: :star: :star: :star:

Nitenurse79 – The classic mystery and classic detective sense of your picture is something that draws me to it. The shine of the metal, the coloring, the watch, and the watch's distortion, it's like candy to my imagination for a good mystery or detective adventure. 5 stars! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Nitenurse79's  :star: 19
Daniels' Stars  :star: 15

Nitenurse79 WINS!

Great pieces of art. Thanks for particpating in this competion, and thanks for sharing your work! <3

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles

Congratulations to nitenurse smiley-happy096_zps8752ffdf.gif

A humble submission from the foggy desert tumble.gif

blufin_zpsaae5df69.jpg

Edited by Scooter
  • Upvote 1

Scooter

• 2 weeks later...
I will start this round off then  :D

Thanks for the votes folks ;)

Scooter - Nice use of julia fractal ? really nice calming colours an the fish in the middle gives it some depth. I would like it more if the left side matched the right side. I would then make a great desktop wallpaper, a great image but only 4 :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:    from me (sorry)

Drew - I really do like the background, all that chrome and shadow makes it look like it is moving. I would have made the image in the picture smaller  (is it a plasmatic Chilli?) nice reflection on the bottom part though. The shine wins me over and I give you 5    :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Score is:

Scooter - 4  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Drew - 5  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

I hate deciding

ZXCBOoZ.png