Image Battles

OddLlama

Pdnnoob - Awesome image very professional looking with a cool looking 3D effect 4 :star:

Klyek397 - Another great image but just lacking that final quality touch that Pdnnoob has 3:star:

Totals:

Pdnnoob 8 :star:

Klyek397 8 :star:

Pdnnoob- Really awesome 3D-ness and looks very professional :D 5 :star:

Klyek397- Great image, but, as Minners said, it just misses the 'it' that Pdnnoob's has... 3 :star: 

Pdnnoob 13 :star:

Klyek397 11 :star:

ParaduxSig_zps7c40fba5.png

We like your images dark and moody too :).

To get the competition going again I challenge with this, original was bigger size (1920x1080).

holidayflowers8_800.png

sig_garfield.png

Pffff... What I like most about this new system is that you can give both parties an equal amount of stars :D Because else it would've been very hard to choose :S 

welsh- 5× :star: Really nice embedded diamont, astonishing textures, just beautiful :D

Ella- 5× :star: Really beautiful flowers, I like the deep red colours used and the sparkles etc. behind the flowers, nice borders too :)

Welsh- 5 :star:

Ella- 5 :star: 

Edited by chimay12321

Two great images by two talented artists.  I could quite easily give 5 :star: to each the same as chimay did and you know what I am.

Welsh 5 :star:

Ella 5 :star:

Totals - Welsh 10 :star:

Ella 10 :star:

• 2 weeks later...

Try as I might, I can't bring myself to drop a star for either picture. Great entries!

Welsh 5 :star:

Ella 5 :star:

Totals - Welsh 15 :star:

Ella 15 :star:

Looks like we have ourselves a tie!

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

That's some really nice work being posted here.
Since I read in the discussion that ties are ok as well and the art posted here doesn't need to be new, who wants to battle the captain? ;)

shield_competition_zps36a146ad.png

Tutorial from Abduzeedo. Except for 2 Stocks everything has been done in Paint.NET.

A little bit of detail lost due to resizing but tried to maintain as much as possible.

I'm quite the harsh critic, so, yeah, sorry :)

First of all seeing as they are both 'based' on tutorials the skill is merely in following instructions, and adapting them to some extent, no?

@Sashwilko - I find the entire image to be kind of out of focus, and i can identify the effect you were going for, but the difference in focus just isn't enough, more layers with finer adjustments to the blur would have been a great improvement. That coupled with better use of colours would have made this an excellent piece. However the perspective and lighting in the image are quite well done, as such i award this work a 2/5, nearly a 3.

@Tee - Again, i haven't seen the tutorial you used for this so i have no idea what, if any difference there is to the finished product from the tutorial. But, this is a very good piece, i do think it looks how you intended it to look! The only niggle i have with it is that its very flat, some use of linear gradients and bevel techniques could have given this allot of depth. Apart from that, your colours are great, edges are clean, and the texture and lighting blending is done very well! 4/5! Just a 4.

Now before i get 'flamed' for putting down tutorials, i think they are a great resource so long as they aren't blindly followed. 

Sashwilko 2  :star: 
Tee 4  :star:

Totals - Sashwilko 2  :star: 
             Tee 4  :star:

Edited by SAND33P

eOdUjVm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with SAND on following the tutorials blindly without any experimentation for a competition.  

@ Tee; Not sure what you started with for an image but if you made it from scratch I would say it is pretty good but it needs some depth. You might have been able to use the shape 3D plugin,sphere,half a sphere setting and tip it to one side or another to give it that effect. Not bad though,I'll give you a =3 x  :star:

@ Sash; A pretty good go at the tutorial but a bit too fuzzy and the light beams look a bit strange coming from underneath it all. The whole thing could have been a bit bigger so the light doesn't get cut off also. ;)  I'll give you; = 2 x  :star:

Tee= 11x :star:

Sashwilko= 7x :star:

(I hope I did this right this time,lol,been patiently watching and learning before commenting again,heh,heh. Don't want to rile anyone again,heh,heh)   ;)

Edited by skullbonz
  • Upvote 1

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

sashwilko: The light effect is great, and even though it's kind of blurry, that enhances it also because it makes it look more... glowy? :P It also probably should have a bigger background. 3x :star:

Tee: It looks really realistic! The only problem IMO is the middle; the star looks a bit odd with the metal swirl thing in it. Maybe it's just me. Other than that, it's great! 4x :star:

Totals

-=+=-

Tee: :star: x 15

Sashwilko: :star: x 10

Tee wins!

-=+=-

I enter with a piece I found from a long time ago:

aciE3ygD.png

Full-sized version: http://i.imgbox.com/acfCzuQ8.png

Here is my website - http://www.oddllama.cu.cc

Here is my gallery - http://oddalpaca.deviantart.com/gallery

Am I odd? - yes

Am I a llama? - yes

Not that long ago its pdnnoob's globe tutorial from Dec 2102   :P

Anyhoo, not put off by my last defeat I put this into the frame :)

woodtakethtwice_zps4c17c9bd.png

• Upvote 1

swIFX9v.png

OddLlama: The best thing about your pic is the background in my opinion, the globe and the text are a little too distorted. 

Sasha: Great perspective and great detail, very good :D

OddLlama: 2× :star:

Sasha: 5× :star: 

OddLlama - The globe is excellent, great use of colours, it could have done without the text really - that said I still give it 5x:star:

Sasha - Top work, I love the red version in your gallery and this one is very realistic with good use of light and shade, well made again I award 5x :star:

Score now:

OddLlama - 7:star:

Sasha - 10:star:

BREtKQW.png

Odd  Llama--- It does look a bit clunky and is missing something,or maybe the colors of the globe are what's throwing me off,but something is turning me away so I give you 2 :star:

Sasha-- Nice job on the wooden ball,the floor is a bit too blurred on the right but looks nice. Good job and I will give you 4  :star:

Odd Llama = 12 x  :star:

Sasha = 18 x  :star:

Sasha wins!!

Now that I caught the timing right and we seem to be on a round kick,lol, I will throw my latest in the show.   ;)

130-c.png

oops sorry about the size,missed that part.  

Edited by skullbonz

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/21233-skullbonz-art-gallery

spacescene800x600_zpsf9a8ca21.png

a recent creation...full version is in my gallery.

@skullbonz (psst! You forgot to resize to 800x600 to match the rules!)

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Skullbonz: The marble/orb thing is amazing and the "powder coating" around the bottom is quite unique. However the plain white background detracts from the work just a little.   :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

PDNnoob: Altogether a really nice piece. I almost didn't even notice the faint nebulae until I moved my screen a little. The asteroid belt was just a little distracting to me. Maybe had it been a little more faint or blurred.   :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  

Skullbonz:  :star: x8

PDNnoob:  :star: x9

Edited by Daniels

• 2 months later...

Skullbonz:  :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:

I like your work and the little efect there at the bottom looks great. I just felt like you could've done more since the background is blank.

PDNnoob:  :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:   :star:

It's so detailed, and so realistic. It looks great and is fully deserving of my rating of it.

Skullbonz   :star: x 12

PDNnoob   :star: x 14

U6Mu2PN.jpg?1

• 2 weeks later...

SkullBonz: A nice piece, with some nice texture, but the border is really cutting it for me.  :star:    :star:    :star:

pdnnoob: Very, very cool! Very well done. For critique, the planet's brightness seems a bit off, and it would be nicer to have some more obvious/numerous space clouds.  :star:    :star:    :star:    :star:    :star:

Skullbonz:  :star: x 15

PDNnoob:  :star: x 19

It's a tie.

Going to put in this work I made quite a while ago.

EnchantedSandstorm.png

Edited by Xzerizon

'Civil disobedience is still disobedience.'

'↑ And that is how you confuse an atomic computer. ↑'

▬ Xžε⌐¡z○╖

• 3 weeks later...

Xzerixon: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Good attention to details, but the image could use some depth. The object of interest here, the sword, doesn't stand out from the background very well, dulling the overall effect.

DrewDale: :star: :star: :star:

The image definitely has the glassy feel down, but it needs something other than a drop shadow to define the edges, especially between the guitar and the sphere. Rather than producing a 3D effect here, it makes everything look flat and conflicts with pretty much everything else in the picture. Perhaps that was the intention, but I find it painfully damaging.

• 5 weeks later...

I better try.

Xzerixon: The sword is very realistic. And I like the background. Both have very good texture. But I think the handle could have used some more work. It's too smooth. Maybe some bumps? And a design with/without jewels? Also, the lines around the object give me the feeling that it's in motion, yet it's still 'standing' there. But, if your aim was making it look like a magical sword, then bright colors, like cyan, yellow or green, would be suitable. Also, the blade texture could have used some more work, too. The tip of the object looks like it's bending. About the background, I believe it would have been nice to see some ground and/or wall; seems there's a small problem with perspective. And, again, I admit it's very realistic. :star: :star:  :star:

DrewDale: I like the background and how you used Zoom blur. Also, I like how the sphere and the instrument stand out. But I don't like the direction of lights and shadows. It seems to me the light comes from :arrow-upright: (the bottom of the guitar has a line that looks like forelight) and/or :arrow-upleft: (the sphere has a shadow), but the drop shadow indicates that the direction of light comes from :arrow-downright:. It's confusing. Then, there's also the shadow of the guitar; I think it needs to look like it's being cast on a round object. And in the right direction.  :star: :star:  :star:

Xzerixon:  :star: x 7

DrewDale:  :star: x 6

(Sorry if it's too harsh. :S)

Edited by Beta0

(Please, be careful. Some of the sites I'm on might not be family-friendly. 😱 )

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I liked them both, the sword and the guitar.  However it is the sword that gets my vote.  I am having trouble using this website so if i did it wrong forgive me.  I like the sharp minimal lines of the sword a lot.  It's is close in my way of looking at it because both are good but  my nod goes to the sword.