Windows 8 RT App

spamme

Your paint.net shortcut will go onto the start screen in windows 8 as a tile, all you have to do is think of the tile as a means to launch the program. No matter what name windows gives them, Apps are still programs. And, like jim100361 states, you still have a desktop in windows 8. The only thing gone is the Orb on the taskbar. ;)

BREtKQW.png

So the PN will stay a desktop application. Moreover W8 apps aren't written in .net, MS has dumped also .net, now there is only C# with WinRT. And I think PN is WinForm and not XAML. What ever, it seems that PN is traveling on a dead track. Wouldn't it better to start a new paint.winrt?

You have no idea what you're talking about do you?

...Moreover W8 apps aren't written in .net, MS has dumped also .net

Rubbish.

What ever, it seems that PN is traveling on a dead track. Wouldn't it better to start a new paint.winrt?

Rick knows what he's doing.

WinRT is no longer based on the .NET (12'000 classes) it is back on an extended COM (1'800 classes). Also the programming interface changed slightly. Managed code still exists for the desktop programs. Just my understanding ;-)

midoras signature.gif

I may as well officially reply to the few requests I've had for this: sorry, it's just not going to happen. At least not in the foreseeable future. The costs to port an existing application over to it are simply too prohibitive for a 1 man job, especially since I need to finish 4.0 first.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 months later...

How about at least compiling it for ARM? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cause any real problems or require code changes. If you could compile Paint.Net for ARM cpu's then the Surface RT and other Windows RT devices could run it via this hack: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092158

I'm sorry if I'm wrong and it is more complicated than I had thought.

It would be very greatly appreciated if you would at least give it a quick try.

Thanks,

Johnny

• 2 months later...

Im researching to buy a new computer and the new ones come with windows 8 of course, I use paint.net everyday, so its a must have. Too many threads about senseless bloody potato, can anyone tell us if paint.net will run on windows 8. 

• 6 months later...

Confirmed.  Paint.NET works wonderfully on Windows 8 (except RT).

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Windows 8 RT App
  • toe_head2001 locked this topic