Adding realistic light rays to a photo

Visual

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Third tutorial

This makes very realisitc light rays. Compare it to real life.

118pu00.png

29bm1yu.png

2447am9.jpg

You can tweak it just a little more by going to the distort tab and use perspective to widen the rays a little bit as you get away from the window. Instead of the rays being in a constant width channel. Don't go overboard, just slightly.

If your picture is more near sunset or sunrise, you can sepia the ray layer and reduce the intensity/saturation to soften it. Use hue to make it more red or orange.This does basically what a warming filter would do.

• Upvote 2

Those light rays do look good. Great job Visual!

I'd much favor you placing the text into the tutorial as text (not as part of the image). This makes copying the text much easier (for discussion and also people wishing to work offline). Just a thought.

Nice tutorial! That looks quite good. Especially with the interior frame.

What I would do though is put white where the light comes from, use Zoom blur to align the light (repeat if needed), and then Gaussian blur to soften the result.

But in some situations, such as in the one with the tutorial, your approach seems better suited.

• Upvote 1

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
|fb(page)|portfolio|blog|

Very realistic, great tute. :star: :star: :star:

I decided to do a variation using my skylights at home :)

I could see this tute being used to adding beams to a TV screen or a lamp too, using different colours of course ;)

exampleimage.png

ZXCBOoZ.png

@NN: You live closer to the sun that the rest of us? :lol: (I think that given the already bright room, the rays are just a mite too powerful).

@NN: You live closer to the sun that the rest of us? :lol: (I think that given the already bright room, the rays are just a mite too powerful).

It is 60 foot closer to the sun and in a south facing garden to the rear of the house (modern extensions you know)  :lol: I guess the rays are a little bright, but I'm blaming that on having a white ceiling :|

ZXCBOoZ.png

You can just reduce transparency NN. My point to you would be to pay careful attention to depth. Look at where the 2 skylights are in the room compared to where the light ends up. I would try to end them on and around that bowl of fruit. Square it off with the far edge of the door on top of the counter near us on the vertical, and then square off with the countertop on the horizontal. Do both before applying fading process.

You can just reduce transparency NN. My point to you would be to pay careful attention to depth. Look at where the 2 skylights are in the room compared to where the light ends up. I would try to end them on and around that bowl of fruit. Square it off with the far edge of the door on top of the counter near us on the vertical, and then square off with the countertop on the horizontal. Do both before applying fading process.

Makes sense now that I look closer to how I have done it, the light continues where there would be no "light source"

Thanks for pointing that out. :)

Hows this one? Better? :)

example-edit.jpg

ZXCBOoZ.png

Hows this one? Better? :)

Yes I like that better. Have you considered fading the light 'beam' intensity as the beam extends into the room? I.e foreground beam has edges as sharp at the bottom as the top. Shouldn't it be more diffuse at the bottom?

BTW: Nice house!

I agree, very nice house! Are we gonna get a tour of the rest of it?

Now there is a money maker, guided tours of my house, just need to calculate a price per room :D

ZXCBOoZ.png

• 5 months later...

Cool!

sgs0xgu.png

I play lots of Minecraft, (Minecraft.net), only 'creative mode' though. View my 'builds' and other stuff here: planetminecraft.com/member/fighterbear12  :smile: