Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Logo/ Banner Challenge Discussion thread

welshblue    353

Diolch yn Fawr for being such a great host & not dead :D

... and me.  I don't fancy being dead that much.  Mind you the warmth will be nice ... 

I got a bit confused with this challenge and stuck to being the law abiding motorist I am ... 

Ditto the thoughts on the banner.  I never got around to making one in 12 months.  How poor is that

• Upvote 1

barbieq25    671

RFX, glad you like the new theme.

However, I wish to point out that "sub straight" is actually substrate. A substrate is NOT what the sign is cut from but rather what it is mounted or stuck to. Substrates may include things such as: Signwhite

PVC
Weathertx
Coreflute
Forex Smart
Flex Face
Di Bond
Aluminium 
Sign Mounts
Gator Foam
Foam Core

My husband & I had a signwriting business for many years. 

• Upvote 1

Scooter    117

RFX, glad you like the new theme.

However, I wish to point out that "sub straight" is actually substrate. A substrate is NOT what the sign is cut from but rather what it is mounted or stuck to...... Substrates may include things such as: Signwhite

Barbieq25  as you're in Australia  and we're  in California; you most likely aren't  aware of our colorful local regulations, to wit ..."the signage placed within the State of California's boundaries, must comply with the signage rules and regulations as set forth in the fifth of the sixth Regulations Regarding  Signage".  which covers,  " the correct horizontal and vertical displacement while being displayed"....

This, in layman's terms means that all signs shall be straight and true (as is this information).

To achieve this requirement, the base material of the signage shall be, by regulation,

1) under the sign or  Sub

and

2) plane-e-er.      or  Straight

Thus RXF was correct in saying "sub straight", for our California signs.

In closing, Please do not thank me for providing all this amazing  information to you.

It was nothing, really I mean it, nothing.

roflmao.gif     

See YA 

Edited by Scooter
  • Upvote 1

barbieq25    671

We have had "the smart state" too :D though that is debatable. Tourism's motto is ''Beautiful one day, perfect the next'' Given recent natural disasters, that too is debatable. Florida cops its fair share too, I might add but we do have lots of sunshine. Here in Rockhampton, we have to look out for crocodiles too. 

Bit off topic but interesting...

• Upvote 1

Daniels    129

I've noticed that there have been some votes added after the deadline on this past comp. A little note to the newbies: if the deadline has passed, do not vote. It will not be counted. The deadline is very clearly posted.

yellowman    205

My friend RFX, first of all I thank you so much for the compliment, (blush)

And sorry for the confusion, I will assume that you missed this thread for some reason, because actually I did win the competition.

But maybe you saw Sasha has picked the new theme, and that confused you, the winner (as we used to) could waive to the second place winner to submit the next theme if he/she can't find a theme (of course  this happens all in PM messages between the winners/runners up and the member hosting the competition  )

And about your suggestion of anonymous entries, we actually used to have that for some competitions, and we do like it a lot, but I believe we quit it because it put so much work on the person who is hosting the comp.

• Upvote 3

barbieq25    671

RFX, we have been down that road. Anonymous entries create a lot of work. I support Yellowman in what he said but I don't want to go down that road again. 

For 2 years in a row I won the Monet award (most beautiful art) but only very recently have I ever won a comp. However people vote does not matter to me. If they want to vote for themselves through multiple personas, fair enough. We all have that option. That was the reason we did the anonymous thing in the first place. If they want to vote on popularity (a peculiar concept here for me at least) fine. I enter & vote because I like to see how people interpret the brief. 

I create art because I can. I enter comps because I can. I've been here so long I can't remember how long :D All that time & I didn't win. Each time I try really hard. Each time I love the work I submit. Each time I am inspired by others' entries. 

With us old timers, we have often worked on the same concept at the same time. Sometimes only 2 of us sometimes 3 or more. We blame it on hidden cameras :D 

I am glad you want fairness & I do too. Anonymous entries don't work for another very important reason - signature styles. As you get to know users & as users become more proficient, their style of art is most often clearly recognisable no matter the subject. 

I was going to go for a greyscale 2D image but I couldn't do it. The gems won out ;D Without signing this most people would recognise it as my work. 

• Upvote 4

DrewDale    648

@ RFX. I don't think the voting has anything to do with a popularity contest. I vote for the ones that I think has the most eye appeal and detail. It could be from one of our finest members or a new member, everyone has the chance to win. 

And as for sending entries via PM to the host and then discussing if they have followed the brief enough is not right. The simple rule there is if someone has not followed the brief then their entry won't be included in the poll (so far this has not happened) 

I don't think anyone is copying another persons style to create their entry. In this comp SOTW#74 myself and Welshblue would most likely have been working on a sig at the same time, yet both are (fairly) similar. I didn't see his image and then try to emulate it ( I just think in some comps - creative minds think alike)
There is no doubt that members are influenced by others on here, but that also carries into many other fields (Musicians / Painters / Designers etc..)

I agree with Barbieq I create art and enter comps because I can. And also with yellowman where he mentions the extra work placed upon the host if every comp was a secret until the poll.

My opinion is everything is running fine as it is and if the winner of a comp wants to nominate a runner up or the host then that is their choice :)

Edited to add this - I have not yet seen any disputes about who came up with the idea first. I have certainly not had a PM from anyone claiming that their idea has been stolen. 

Edited by DrewDale
  • Upvote 2

DrewDale    648

Just a suggestion... competitions should have anonymous entries with no names suggesting who created them until the contest is over.

How could this be possible though ? When you post an entry there is your Avatar / Sig and user name next to your entry.  Yellowman has already stated why we don't send entries via PM.

nitenurse79    505

You guys mentioned some really good points about the effort involved for hosts. What about something such as this:

- have the entries be a month long in advance of a contest

- once the entry deadline arrives, post the results to be voted on for another month

- at the end of the month, tally the votes and declare a winner

- the host only has to check their messages twice at the very minimum. Once for the entry deadline and once for the voting deadline.

So that would mean each comp would be two months long? Why would you need a month to create / enter and another month to vote your faves ? :/