Mastering Paint.NET - ebook

Ego Eram Reputo

Some of you will be aware that I've been writing a book on Paint.NET. Well, it's finally here....

Mastering_Paint_Dot_NET_Cover_half_size.

I've written this book for beginners through to advanced users. I hope Mastering Paint.NET 3.5.10 will prove the definitive guide to our beloved image editor.

It's a complete reference to every feature, nuance, tool, filter and effect found in Paint.NET. It's almost 400 Word pages with hundreds of color images, tips, detailed explanations, hints and how-to guides.

Contents at a glance:

Contents

Introduction

About The Author

Dedication

Acknowledgments

Conventions & Abbreviations

SECTION 1 Before You Start With Paint.NET

Chapter 1 - Introducing Paint.NET

Chapter 2 - Installing Paint.NET

SECTION 2 Basics

Chapter 3 - Understanding The Interface

Chapter 4 - The Menus Explained

Chapter 5 - Tools

Chapter 6 - Color

Chapter 7 - Layers & Layering

Chapter 8 - Adjustments

Chapter 9 - Effects

Chapter 10 - Selections & Selected Areas

SECTION 3 Advanced Concepts

Chapter 11 - Plugins

Chapter 12 - File Formats

Chapter 13 - Understanding Printing & DPI

Chapter 14 - Blend Modes

Chapter 15 - Customizing Paint.NET

APPENDIX A Keyboard Shortcuts

APPENDIX B Summary of Tips

APPENDIX C Online Resources

APPENDIX D List of Plugins

APPENDIX E Menus

What others are saying about Mastering Paint.NET

Feedback

Available from Amazon in Kindle format. Other ebook formats available by request.

Here's what some of our esteemed forum users had to say about it:

“Scott aka EER has achieved something with this book - teaching an old dog new tricks. A very informative read, with the author speaking to you ... not down to you as some user manuals do. His sense of humor adds to the whole reading experience.” -- Welshblue

“Definitely a must of all users of Paint.NET. I learnt a lot in reading this & just had to try out many of the things I was reading about. An absolute pleasure to read with very good explanations & a great sense of humor.” -- barbieq25

“Scott Stringer's casual writing style makes this book a pleasure to read. He really covers the basics of Paint.NET well. I consider this book to be 'required reading' for all Paint.NET beginners.” -- BoltBait

The book has taken almost a year to complete. I couldn't have done it without my supporters: Rick, BoltBait, Welshy, barbieq25, nitenurse79, Simon Brown, Evan Olds, NisseBosseLasse and just about everybody who has ever written something on the forum. My sincere thanks to you all.

• Upvote 3

EER, I am so happy to hear that it is released! Thanks again for the opportunity :) & well done!

Peeps, this is a fantastic book filled with many, many aha! moments even for experienced users. I should know :)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

A brief comment and then a question:

First, I visited the link and read the sampling that Amazon provides. I am profoundly humbled for the mention/inclusion in your book (as I'm sure others here are as well). From the sampling that I read, it appears very well written and informative. Though I don't currently know when, I do hope to acquire a copy at some point. This leads me to my question...

Do you have any intentions of producing a Nook version of this as well?

Hey, that's me in the acknowledgements! :D

This looks like something I could have used back when I just started. It's so easy to understand!

Great work, sir! :cake:

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hi EGO

WOW...!

I have looked in the book in Amazon, It looks as something I must have :-)

but sadly I don't have nor would have "Kindle" :-(

so I wont have the option to enjoy your book .

Is there any chance you would have a paper version of it?

keep up the amazing things you do !

Avi

p.s.

Silly me i had in mine that your name really was "

Ego Eram Reputo" and that your picture is in your signature.

​how wrong was I :-)

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

This looks like something I could have used back when I just started.

Don't cut yourself short (or it) - quite possibly it still may be useful to you...

...as the man said:

I've written this book for beginners through to advanced users.

Edited by jim100361

but sadly I don't have nor would have "Kindle" :-(

so I wont have the option to enjoy your book .

There are Kindle apps you can install on your PC, and there's also "Kindle Cloud Reader" that lets you read it online without installing anything.

Edit: Oh, and apps for iOS and Android, if you have a phone or tablet running those.

• Upvote 1

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

This is just fabulous and I commend you, and thank you for this book - as well as the plug-in index - which you have so diligently put together. I would like, also, to say that it is so nice to see what you look like :) . No complaints from me on that score :lol: .

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey,

I would like, also, to say that it is so nice to see what you look like :) . No complaints from me on that score :lol: .

I was going to say the same thing, I just didn't know how to put it in words. ;)

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

Don't cut yourself short (or it) - quite possibly it still may be useful to you...

I meant "This looks like something that would have shortened the time it took for me to get where I am with paint.net significantly if it were available when I just started."

It was easier to say it the other way :P

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

There are Kindle apps you can install on your PC, and there's also "Kindle Cloud Reader" that lets you read it online without installing anything.

Edit: Oh, and apps for iOS and Android, if you have a phone or tablet running those.

ZXCBOoZ.png

If you downloaded and installed mozilla firefox, you could use the cloud reader AND uninstall IE9, freeing up space for something more useful :)

<edit> realised it is only on Kindle, so it is yet something else I will miss out on. Nevermind. What you can't have you don't miss :(
but sadly I don't have nor would have "Kindle" :-( so I wont have the option to enjoy your book . Is there any chance you would have a paper version of it?
I don't have the funds for a kindle, so sadly I will miss out :(

As Pyrochild has mentioned, there is a FREE Kindle app for just about every device currently used to access the Internet. Download a Kindle app and install it on you PC, phone, tablet, netbook or whatever else you use.

The benefit of this approach is that you'll get the images in color. I have a basic Kindle - so only get grayscale images (it's not as bad as it sounds).

Do you have any intentions of producing a Nook version of this as well?

Other versions may be made available Jim. I'll send you a PM to explain.

To all of you who have posted such kind words - thank you. You have made me very happy.

PS You guys are the reason I wrote this in the first place :)

PPS Thanks to the Mod/Admin who pinned this thread!

Hi Pyro

I'm an old school person and I like the feel of paper pages in my hands and loves to read outside

with birds singing, or in bed next to my wife "singing" ;-)

I don't read allot on the computer since it makes my eyes wet after a while, (also why I work less on it and things take longer)

and those small IOS/Android phones, I don't have them since i can't read anything of them text too small.

I would try to install firefox and see if i can get this cloud thingy to work or look for a free/simple kindle reader. (any links to share?)

If I'll buy it , is there a way to print a kindle book, so i can read offline, even in B/W or Gray ?

-----

anyway After reading "again" the Introduction to the book , I feel humbled by being in a forum with so many celebs :-)

great work Scott Stringer and great to be here with all of you :-)

Avi

Edited by avim1968

"DDAP=Don't Drink And Post!" :-)

Avim, Kindles are very kind to the eyes & I can tell you they are very transportable. You can have almost a whole library on it & carry it with you anywhere. Unlike computer screens, they are not backlit but use a different type of screen. You can even read in full sun without too much trouble. Maybe you can go into a store somewhere & see it. Honestly, I was the same...you should see me now! I can buy books & read them without even leaving home & it's instant! I am sold :)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

Decided to install the free kindle app for pc and purchase this book. Having just skimmed the pages, so far I would like to say that it is well written, well illustrated and will be of great use to new and seasoned users of paint.net. 10 out of 10 on the scoreboard :)

I look forward to the next edition when paint.net v4 is upon us :D

ZXCBOoZ.png

night nurse, I downloaded it--and others including my own!--to my plain ole PC. There's been a Kindle for PC around for a bit--before the newer apps. It works fine even for those of us who are technologically challenged! :) That I know you aren't. But it's good for the financially challenged as well--such as moi. Like free...