How to Install Plugins ×

Optimized JPEG Filetype (10-19-2023)

null54

This plugin optimizes JPEG images using jpegtran.

Compatibility: 5.0.11+

Installation:

1. Close Paint.NET.
2. Place OptimizedJPEG.dll and jpegtran.exe in the Paint.NET FileTypes folder which is usually located in one the following locations depending on the Paint.NET version you have installed.

Classic: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes    
  Microsoft Store: Documents\paint.net App Files\FileTypes
  Portable: <Paint.NET folder>\FileTypes

3. Restart Paint.NET.

btn_donate_SM.gif

Download:

OptimizedJPEGFiletype.zip

Source Code:

https://github.com/0xC0000054/pdn-optimized-jpeg

• Upvote 3

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Hello, thanks for this but it's not working for me. I just dropped the two files under C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes\

I can tell it's not working because the filesize is the same whether p.net starts with the two files or without. Also, when I run the files through jpegtran.exe they get smaller, so the optimization wasn't applied. (I'm opening random jpg files and using 'save as')

I checked with ProcessExplorer and under p.net's NET assemblies tab I see OptimizedJPEG.dll, so it is loaded. I'm using version 3.5.10 under win7 x64. Any ideas ?

Edited by AnotherLife

Hello, thanks for this but it's not working for me. I just dropped the two files under C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\FileTypes\

I can tell it's not working because the filesize is the same whether p.net starts with the two files or without. Also, when I run the files through jpegtran.exe they get smaller, so the optimization wasn't applied. (I'm opening random jpg files and using 'save as')

I checked with ProcessExplorer and under p.net's NET assemblies tab I see OptimizedJPEG.dll, so it is loaded. I'm using version 3.5.10 under win7 x64. Any ideas ?

Have you installed the required Visual C++ runtime?

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Have you installed the required Visual C++ runtime?

Yes, I'm positive there is no problem there.

I hope someone else posts if it's working for them or not. (Does it matter that I'm on x64 ?)

(Does it matter that I'm on x64 ?)

No, it would not.

Added a check box to enable or disable the optimization, file version updated to 1.0.0.1.

PdnSig.png

Where would that checkbox be ? :unimpressed:

If it was working for me, anyway :)

Under the Quality slider.

PdnSig.png

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really have to thank you for this Plug-in. As an owner of a SONY Bravia smart TV that wont display standard JPEG's, I tried your Plug-in to convert a few, to test and wonders of wonders it worked a treat thanks again.

• 2 years later...

Reduced file size when saving gray scale images.
Fixed an issue with spaces in the temp directory path.

PdnSig.png

• 2 years later...
  • null54 changed the title to Optimized JPEG Filetype (10-19-2023)

Release version 1.0.3.

This release is for Paint.NET 5.0.11+.

Changes:

• Updated the plugin to use Paint.NET's built-in JPEG FileType for loading and saving.
  • Improved performance when saving.
  • Use random file names for the temporary files.
  • Fixed a compatibility issue with certain jpegtran builds.
  • Like 3

PdnSig.png