Creating a new company logo?

Hi there,

I'm creating a new website for a new client and they asked me to come up with some ideas for a new logo...

I've created a load of pencil sketches and now want to create a couple of logos using PDN...

I must confess that I'm battling with translating my ideas into PDN....

The company is called "Triple e"

Most of my designs require either circular (sort of) or elliptical variations of the letter "e"

Essentially I need:

- to create the ellipse lying at an angle....

- to create certain parts in 3D

Take a look at these hand drawn ideas and please tell me where to find the right tutorials etc

In fact any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Best regards

Greg

post-75193-0-88059700-1347279933_thumb.j

post-75193-0-63815800-1347279951_thumb.j

post-75193-0-00138800-1347279971_thumb.j

post-75193-0-40037900-1347279995_thumb.j

post-75193-0-65993200-1347280009_thumb.j

Edited by Greg135

I'd trawl through Dafont for a font that you like. You can put in the text you want to see how it would look.

Layers/rotate/Zoom is a good thing to use & also the Trail plugin for the 3D. Have you had a look through the text tutorials for something close to what you want? It might give you ideas on how to proceed or even a style you like. I know there are 3D text tutes.

The search function will be your best friend :)

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I'd trawl through Dafont for a font that you like. You can put in the text you want to see how it would look. Layers/rotate/Zoom is a good thing to use & also the Trail plugin for the 3D. Have you had a look through the text tutorials for something close to what you want? It might give you ideas on how to proceed or even a style you like. I know there are 3D text tutes. The search function will be your best friend :)

Thanks for your input Barbie Q,

Yeah I have been looking at the Dafont website....

And I've looked at some of the text tuts here....

What I'm battling with is the creation of those elliptical shapes to create a custom "e"....If you look at the first thumbnail you'll see what I mean.

Are you aware of any plugins that will create shapes?

The fonts can always be added to the shape afterwards....

Or am I approaching this all wrong?

Regards

Greg

to make a rotated shape, add a new layer, draw the shape and select it, then right click and drag with the move tool.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

...or use a different font (or the same font), increase the font size and place it in the layer below.

Layers will be your friend in this project

...and layers will almost always be your friend in any project (except for an occasional photo enhancing project)

EDIT: secondary opinion alert!

I think the style for 3 and 4 is a bit too much like a fast-food restaurant

The first two look cool, but they don't strike me as "real estate"-style logos.

The last one looks most business-like to me (and, if done right, can look really nice too!)

Edited by pdnnoob

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

to make a rotated shape, add a new layer, draw the shape and select it, then right click and drag with the move tool.

Hey pdnnoob,

Ok tried to follow your instructions....but confused.....

Couple of questions:

-I created an ellipse on a new layer, but how do you select it? It disappears!!!

-What is supposed to happen when I right click?

-The move tool just expands or reduces the size of the shape....

What am I doing wrong?

Regards

Greg

rotate.png

Make sure that you are using the ellipse tool (bottom left on tool window) to draw your ellipse and not the ellipse selection tool

Switch to the black triangle tool (move tool) and right click and drag to rotate the ellipse

Thanks pdnnoob and nitenurse79....I finally got it.....

Just another thing....

My intention is to create the "e" elliptical shape as per my first two thumbnails....

So now I have the the ellipse....I figure that the best thing is to "draw in" the other parts of the "e" and then erase the bits not needed...

but I need to know if there is plugin that can "draw" elliptical line segments?

Hopefully you get what I mean...

Regards

Greg

You could always duplicate the E onto another layer and then "move" the duplicated part to where you want it, you could also try drop shadow or outline object plug-ins to help you out, links http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=8375 and this http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=4923 not really sure if this is what you mean.

ZXCBOoZ.png

You could always duplicate the E onto another layer and then "move" the duplicated part to where you want it, you could also try drop shadow or outline object plug-ins to help you out, links http://forums.getpai...?showtopic=8375 and this http://forums.getpai...?showtopic=4923 not really sure if this is what you mean.

OK...I drew the rest of the "e" in by hand (very rough) to show what I mean...see attached

post-75193-0-65423900-1347311167_thumb.j

Edited by Greg135

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/23194-squirkle/

This plugin (yes one of mine sorry Pdnnoob) may help with rendering ellipses - set the exponent to 2.

However, I think you may be better off using a font for aesthetic reasons.

Good luck!

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

http://forums.getpai...23194-squirkle/

This plugin (yes one of mine sorry Pdnnoob) may help with rendering ellipses - set the exponent to 2.

However, I think you may be better off using a font for aesthetic reasons.

Good luck!

Red ochre.....

Now that is really effective!!!

Thanks....

I agree...using a font would be the best option...but the "e" shape I want is very distinctive and I haven't yet seen anything close...have you?

Regards

Greg

Yup...definitely need a shameless self-promotion award for you, RedOchre :P

Another way to do it is to add another new layer and draw an ellipse set to outline mode

Use the ellipses to draw the area you wish to remove, then select that area and go back to the other layer and hit delete.

I messed around (and got carried away) and took a screenshot to show how many layers I usually end up with in an average project

layers.png

Notice that I didn't try to draw the e in one layer. In fact, a total of 3 layers were used. One for the black, one for the white, and one for drawing what I want to remove from the white.

Hi Greg,

I can't think of a font that fits exactly I'm afraid. It would be possible to make up your own 'e', but bear in mind designers take ages getting fonts to look correctly balanced - it's a tricky task. I think most fonts have their origins in pen written calligraphic writing, so I would experiment on paper to try and get that look using the simplest shapes you can. Worth researching.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Yup...definitely need a shameless self-promotion award for you, RedOchre :P

Another way to do it is to add another new layer and draw an ellipse set to outline mode

Use the ellipses to draw the area you wish to remove, then select that area and go back to the other layer and hit delete.

I messed around (and got carried away) and took a screenshot to show how many layers I usually end up with in an average project

layers.png

Notice that I didn't try to draw the e in one layer. In fact, a total of 3 layers were used. One for the black, one for the white, and one for drawing what I want to remove from the white.

Pdnnoob....that's exactly what I had in mind...

I'm going to have to try and get that same effect...

Thanks for taking the trouble....much appreciated.

Could you elaborate on the steps that you took?

It's almost midnight here...so I'll tackle this tomorrow!

Thanks again....

Regards

Greg

Mmmm, that is correct. Fonts are a tad more complex than just letters. I could write a chapter at least & that is just a drop in a ocean.

Pdnnoob, fabulous way of working. Remember too that if the real estate want it made into signs, they will then have to look at something like a digital print as you have the glossy look hapenning...simple things are never usually that way :0

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012