My very first Crash Log!!!

Crazy Man Dan

I'm so exited!

<_<

I was working on some stuffs, and I copied a 40px x 40px selection in one window and clicked File -> New Window to get a fresh canvas to work on. I clicked "New" and created a new image in the new window 80px x 40px. I hit [Ctrl]+v, and the selection didn't show up.

Further examination showed the ruler was blue about 100px or so off to the left of my canvas. So I dragged the blue over to where my canvas was, and the image didn't show up, nor the selection outline. So I hit the new layer button in the layer stack window, figuring I'd just try again. When the new layer came up, the image I had pasted was shown in stutter-steps across the canvas. One more click on the canvas with the move tool broke it.

Here's what I got:

Crash log for Paint.NET v2.5 (Alpha 3 Release build 2.5.2088.35818)

Time of crash: 9/27/2005 2:44:57 PM

OS version: 5.1.2600.0

.NET Framework version: 1.1.4322.2032

Exception details:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Bytes must be greater than zero

Parameter name: bytes

Actual value was 0.

at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock..ctor(Int64 bytes)

at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)

at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Size size)

at PaintDotNet.MaskedSurface..ctor(Surface source, PdnGraphicsPath path)

at PaintDotNet.MoveTool.LiftPixels(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.MoveTool.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.Tool.MouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.Tool.PerformMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.DocumentMouseDownHandler(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentView.OnDocumentMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentView.MouseDownHandler(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at PaintDotNet.SurfaceBox.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

After testing it again with the same image, the exact same steps were taken, and the exact same error occurred.

If you wish me to describe my exact steps in greater detail, just let me know.

Dan

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Alright, I've been playing around with it some, and here's what I've noticed:

1: When you paste a selection, the outline shows for a brief moment in the center, but then disappears and the selection moves to the left and up, off the canvas.

2: There appears to be a determining factor as to how far off the canvas the selection is pasted:

-If I select from the original source image (432px x 288px) within the upper-left 80px x 40px, it will be pasted within the new 80px x 40px image at that spot.

-If the origin is within the top-left 80px x 40px but the end of the selection is not, the selection will be pasted partially on the image, with the selection extending off the necessary number of pixels.

-If the origin is not within the upper-left 80px x 40px, when pasted within the image, the lower-right corner in the new image will be the corresponding number of pixels which the origin was out of the 80px x 40px in the original image.

ex. A selection with an origin at 85px, 45px will be pasted with the lower-right corner at -5px, -5px.

3:If the selection is dragged onto the canvas after is is pasted, the program will not crash.

4:If the selection is not dragged onto the canvas, but you switch to a selection tool and deselect, the program will not crash.

5:If any part of the selection is dragged onto the canvas, and you add a new layer and click with the move tool on the new layer, the program will not crash.

6:If no part of the selection is dragged onto the canvas and you add a new layer and click with a selection tool, the program will not crash.

7:If no part of the selection is dragged onto the canvas and you add a new layer and click with the move tool, the program WILL crash.

8:In all of these scenarios save when the selection is made within the top 80px x 40px, when the selection is dragged, it is rendered in stutters across the canvas.

9:When the selection is made from the top 80px x 40px, the program functions as normal.

>Added stuff

There were a few things I forgot to mention earlier:

Pasting to a layer other than the background does not change the outcome. Opening the second window before or after the selection is copied in the original doesn't change the outcome.

So, after posting all that and thinking about the circumstances 'n such, I was thinking it may be because when the selection is pasted off-canvas and a new layer is selected, the selected pixels are dropped but the selection still exists off-canvas. So when you try to move the pixels under the selection in the new layer, there aren't any.

I would test making a selection in the background layer, dragging it off canvas, then switching to a new layer and trying to move it to see if the same error occurrs, but PDN isn't installed on this computer and it's not mine, so I can't put it on here to test.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that crash log will tell you more than I ever could.

>/Added stuff

I hope some of that helps!

Dan

~ Becoming the Archetype

Sure enough.

I made a selection, dragged it off canvas, switched to a new layer, clicked with the Move tool, and I got the same pdncrashlog:

Exception details:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Bytes must be greater than zero

Parameter name: bytes

Actual value was 0.

at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock..ctor(Int64 bytes)

at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Int32 width, Int32 height)

at PaintDotNet.Surface..ctor(Size size)

at PaintDotNet.MaskedSurface..ctor(Surface source, PdnGraphicsPath path)

at PaintDotNet.MoveTool.LiftPixels(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.MoveTool.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.Tool.MouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.Tool.PerformMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentWorkspace.DocumentMouseDownHandler(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentView.OnDocumentMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at PaintDotNet.DocumentView.MouseDownHandler(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at PaintDotNet.SurfaceBox.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 4 weeks later...

First off, this should be in its own thread since its totally unrelated to what Dan posted about. So please make a new post in the future. (And that's also a ton of information that we don't need about your system -- I just need a description of the problem and the exception dump, aka pdncrash.log (for future reference)).

Second, the exception being spat out by our program is that you don't have write-access to the registry key named HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Paint.NET. You should check to see, with regedit, that you actually have permissions to write to this registry key. Perhaps our program should fail more gracefully here, but it's also bizarre that you do not have the standard permissions on that registry key.

Also, I'm confused here. You stated that you received an error "at the end of installation," yet the exception log is from after installation and during Paint.NET's startup. So am I safe to assume that installation was successful, but the application was unable to startup?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg