Can't Start (or uninstall) - System.Core error

Hello,

I went to run Paint.net today and I am getting...

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannon find the file specified.

File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

at PaintDotNet.Startup.StartPart3()

at PaintDotNet.Startup.StartPart2() in

D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\PaintDotNet\Startup.cs:line 359

at PaintDotNet.Startup.Main(string[] args) in

D:\src\pdn\pdn_35x\src\Paintdotnet\Startup.cs:line 465

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusuon!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

I have tried to uninstall the program as well as repair it. Both fail saying there was some part of the install that did not complete. I even tried it in safe mode and it failed to uninstall there because apparently the uninstall utility was not loaded.

It worked last week and the only thing I have installed since then was MongoVUE. I have tried to uninstall it (which was successful) and then try to run/repair/uninstall PDN with the same results as above.

I love the program and need to do work on it NOW. But I need to wipe it clean and reinstall it but can't.

PLEASE HELP!

As it turns out, I was not able to uninstall/reinstall/repair .Net 3.5 at all. After a bit of a search I came across a verification tool which did nothing except say things were successfully verified. Then the following was what did the trick for me.

.NET Framework Cleanup Tool

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

This .NET Framework cleanup tool is designed to automatically perform a set of steps to remove selected versions of the .NET Framework from a computer. It will remove files, directories, registry keys and values and Windows Installer product registration information for the .NET Framework. The tool is intended primarily to return your system to a known (relatively clean) state in case you are encountering .NET Framework installation, uninstallation, repair or patching errors so that you can try to install again.

I figured I would have to reinstall .Net 3.5 but I did not. I then checked to see if at least Paint.Net was working and it was. So woo hoo!!

• 1 month later...