Where do screenshots go after I press the prt sc button?

CrazyPainterz

I'm kind of confused, because I press Print Screen... but where does it go? I want to know, mainly because its all curiosity pushing these questions around my head.

Edited by CrazyPainterz

Q1QE4.png

Paint with PDN like there is no tomorrow!

I'm kind of confused, because I press Print Screen... but where does it go? I want to know, mainly because its all curiosity pushing these questions around me head.

It goes into your clipboard, so you have to paste it. Hope I helped you :).

1348406123-grafyx-3d-sig.png

PDN tutorials in french:

"FrenchPDNtutos" - Visit my gallery here !

Sig battles won: 4

Back in the early days of desktop PCs the Prt Sc (or Print Screen - depending upon your keyboard) did precisely that, it would send the image directly to your printer. These days it holds the image in a memory location. So when you take a screenshot, the method of retrieving it is to paste your image into your application (Ctrl + V key combination).

Duh, how many years did I not know this. :aagh:

Thanks CrazyPainterz for asking this question

and thanks Rafroller and Jim100361 for answering.

SloppySig.png

I should caution you that if before you paste your screenshot to your application, if by chance you copy a line of text for example (highlighting text and pressing the Ctrl + C key combination) from something, it too goes to the clipboard and will essentially erase/overwrite the screenshot. So ensure that you paste the image before copying anything else.

If you're using a dual monitor setup, the Print Screen key will cleverly capture the contents of both screens and copy it to the clipboard.

If you have multiple windows open, using Alt + Print Screen captures just the contents of the window that currently is active.

• Upvote 1

If you're using a dual monitor setup, the Print Screen key will cleverly capture the contents of both screens and copy it to the clipboard.

If you have multiple windows open, using Alt + Print Screen captures just the contents of the window that currently is active.

Now it's my turn to give a response like doughty's! Thanks for the info! :D

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

• BoltBait locked this topic