Troubles with installing and uninstalling

Yes, I did read that. And that. Oh yes and that. And no it didn't work. I believe I may have accidentally deleted my main run files but my computer thinks the program still exists, and when it tries to uninstall it has no uninstall files. It won't install because the computer thinks it still has the program. I have searched my computer for about an hour and I came up with no paint.net related files. Any help?

Emoticons ARE punctuation :mad:

Yes, I did read that. And that. Oh yes and that. And no it didn't work. ... Any help?

Reading your post above, it sounds like someone is already helping you, but I can't see what you've been discussing and with whom you've been discussing it with. What exactly did you read and didn't work?

Here's a suggestion for you (but maybe this something that you've already read and tried and didn't work):

If you don't already have it, try downloading and installing CCleaner (for download, I would recommend getting it directly from the Piriform website). When you've got it installed click on the "Tools" tab on the side of the application. Highlight the program you wish to remove from the list of programs that Windows indicates is installed on your computer. Next click on the button on the right which reads, "Delete Entry".

CCleanerToolsTab.png

Once it's been removed from the list, try re-installing it.

EDIT:

There's also the added benefit of utilizing this program of cleaning your system from a build-up of old temp files and such which can cause your system to slow down.

Edited by jim100361

If you don't already have it, try downloading and installing CCleaner (for download, I would recommend getting it directly from the Piriform website). When you've got it installed click on the "Tools" tab on the side of the application. Highlight the program you wish to remove from the list of programs that Windows indicates is installed on your computer. Next click on the button on the right which reads, "Delete Entry"

Yeah no dice... It says "cannot delete MSI installer"

And I meant that I had read pretty much all of the "uninstalling and installing troubles" posts, sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: ... Never mind.... I tried renaming the entry and just leaving it there and installing, which if it had worked probably still would have been a bad idea, but again no dice.

Edited by tsobf2424

Did you use the Windows Installer CleanUp utility?

Post #2 in this thread: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/692-install-update-or-uninstall-trouble-read-this/

I thought by your first post you had run through the options given in that thread? Maybe I misinterpreted.

The WIC utility is very powerful and should not be mishandled. In other words - be careful using it.

yeah i tried everything exept for one that required a file from the program to repair it. but when i used the windows installation cleanup it didnt see paint.NET. i appreciate the effort and i apologize for lack of correct grammar/spelling.

UPDATE: Well, I was poking a round and i found that paint.NET no longer exists in the add/remove programs list. i am now going to try a few solutions AGAIN :P derpface.

UPDATE2: Hmmm... not working so far...

UPDATE3: Cleaned reg. backed it up. installing... DARNIT! .... grrrrr that didn't work.

Finalupdate: Well I think I'm giving up. I tried everything. one last note, may be important: The paint installer tries to "remove previous version". just saying... well... darn :/ anyway thanks for your support. I'm glad you helped... sort of :) anyway, farewell!

EDIT: I am still excepting help....

UPDATE4: i am COMPLETELY uninstalling and re-installing the . net framework . and i will update my update when i get done :)

Edited by tsobf2424

Well... i guess i'll try to use some other program... *gags* oh well...

yeah....... NO so far every other program i try STINKS... I'm gonna go fiddle more now.....

"GIMP 2.1.8 was successfully removed from your computer" Let the banners fly and the trumpets blow!

Edited by tsobf2424

How's your knowledge of manually editing the registry, and getting around in the folders of your computer?

navigating folders in my computer? I'd say I am fairly well adapt at that. Manually editing the reg.? I try not to... But I have some experience.

What I am about to suggest is only to be done at your own discretion. If you do not feel comfortable, even in the least about doing it, then don't do it. This is only recommended as a "last ditch effort". Since I cannot do this for you, nor can I physically ensure that you remove precisely what I decribe below, I cannot assume any responsibility for your system. So this is your chance to ignore this post and seek an alternative fix.

So if others, after reading this, have/has another suggestion for this individual, please provide it.

Simply put, my suggestion would be to stop Windows from recognizing that Paint.net has been previously installed so that you can re-install it.

First ensure that the Paint.net directory is indeed gone. So you would first navigate to the location, and if the folder exists, then delete it.

Once you've ensured that it is physically gone in its entirety because you've removed the directory, then use Regedit to search through your entire registry and remove all instances of Paint.net. Regedit has a built-in search capabilities. Press "Ctrl" + "F" to open the search window w/in. Type in "Paint.net" (you must be precise here. Don't type "paint.net" or any other possible variation as you may miss several entries throughout the registry) in the given field. Now begin your search. Once you've found your first reference -it will be highlighted, delete it by right-clicking on it and selecting "Delete". Then press the "F3" key to continue to search for your next reference. Of course, before doing so you should back-up your registry first - do this by going to the menu under "File" and choose "Export". If you are successful in finding and removing all those references, try re-booting your computer.

You should then be able to re-install Paint.net since Windows should not recognize that it's ever been previously installed because you've removed it (its references) from the registry.

I repeat what I previously stated before, if you're not the least bit comfortable about doing this, then don't do it. If you have some friend that is very knowledgeable about computers, then maybe ask them to do it for you.

EDIT:

As an alternative to the above, since you've installed CCleaner, you can click on the "Registry" tab and let it analyze the registry to see if it finds the invalid references to Paint.net. If or when it does, ensure that only those references that we are after (related specifically to "Paint.net") are checked off. Once you've done that, go ahead with cleaning it and backing it up when it prompts you. After this is done, try re-installing. If this is unsuccessful, then maybe attempt what I previously prescribed.

Edited by jim100361

EDIT:

As an alternative to the above, since you've installed CCleaner, you can click on the "Registry" tab and let it analyze the registry to see if it finds the invalid references to Paint.net. If or when it does, ensure that only those references that we are after (related specifically to "Paint.net") are checked off. Once you've done that, go ahead with cleaning it and backing it up when it prompts you. After this is done, try re-installing. If this is unsuccessful, then maybe attempt what I previously prescribed.

Yeah, i tried that.. Didn't work. However i will try the registry thing. I'll edit the post when I'm done! thanks for your support!

P.S. Shouldn't you be a mod or something?

I don't think that worked.... HOLY COW IT DID!! (Look only 2 exclamation points, not 20) #Sohappyexclamationpoint

My dad says more than one exclamation point is evidence of a deranged mind.

Edited by tsobf2424

My dad says more than one exclamation point is evidence of a deranged mind.

Is it possible he says that because he's jealous and doesn't want to be overshadowed? j/k

At any rate, congratulations and may I say "Welcome back!"?

P.S. I guess it's time for you to get busy downloading all those great plugins again!

Edited by jim100361

At any rate, congratulations and may I say "Welcome back!"?

P.S. I guess it's time for you to get busy downloading all those great plugins again!

You may :D

And its more like time to clean up all the other terrible paint programs :P

Thanks again!